Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked Phones wont work with Three sim cards?

• 23-11-2012 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Lost my smartphone a while back. 12 months into a 24 month contract... my Dad got an O2 smartphone (Samsung Android, not S3) that he won't use. He gave it to me.
    I brought it into a shop to get it unlocked and when he asked for the SIM card when the phone was unlocked, he seen it was three and said that it mightn't work. It didn't.

Then I went into carphone warehouse to enquire bout the Nokia Lumia that is going cheap. I asked the girl, whats the story with getting it unlocked... She said that Vodafone make you spend €160 in credit to get it unlocked and if you go to a private shop to get it done for €10, you lose your warranty!

Anyways, she also said that three are tricky when it comes to unlocked phones!
    Anyone know why or how I can get a Nokia Lumia unlocked for a three sim?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've been using my 3 sim in unlocked phones for years with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is it possible that Samsung is not 3g? Three sims will only work in 3g enabled phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

sugarman wrote: »
    They work fine in almost all 2g phones too, just not on 3g coverage. Which I barley get anyway arround here:rolleyes:

No, they do not, at least not in my experience.. I've tried a Three sim in 5 different unlocked phones and it would'nt work in any of them. Even got another phone unlocked by a UK based firm. The phone would not work with a Three sim afterwards. Emailed them & they confirmed that the phone was only 2g. I have a dual sim phone which takes a 3g sim and a 2g sim. If I put the Three sim into the 2g slot, it will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

The phone needs to work on on the 2100 Mhz UMTS frequency. Check GSMArena.com to view the phones frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Danger781 wrote: »
    The phone needs to work on on the 2100 Mhz UMTS frequency. Check GSMArena.com to view the phones frequency.

Thanks for that.... checked the website and as you suggested, the phone I had tried to get unlocked before was only 2000 Mhz.

The Lumia is 2100 Mhz which going by your info, means it will work! Can you tell me for certain that this is the issue. Like I'm gonna spend €149 on it so I want to be sure that it will work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could buy it unlocked from amazon?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-Free-Windows-Smartphone/dp/B0065VOIB0

I have, and it works with my three sim card fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

According to Wikipedia that is the only frequency Three work on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code

Advertisement