Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Zombie Survival forum Horror tournament.

• 12-06-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the first (of hopefully many) Zombie Survival forum tournaments.

A big thank you to LZ5by5 for allowing me to steal adapt his concept :p

If you have a suggestion for contestants or any ideas please let it be known here

Rules: Only non human contestants allowed. Straight knock out with the possibility of wild cards later on.

First to 6 wins or whoever leads after 24 hours. After round 1 all match ups will be chosen at random.

Please give a reason for your vote and remember it's only a bit of fun,

Ok, lets play :D

There can be only one.

Round 1 Battle 1

Battle of the Child Killers

Freddy Krueger

More Info
    krueger.jpg

-v-

Pennywise

More info

pennywise.jpg

pennywise-clown-it.jpg

Zombie Wild Card. 15 votes

Resident Evil
    0%
    I am Legend
    20%
    KromdarShadowHearthSofiztikated 3 votes
    Alien
    13%
    Ginja Ninja.SONIC. 2 votes
    Van Helsing
    26%
    KiithZombienoshKess73Handsome Bob 4 votes
    American Werewolf
    0%
    T800
    0%
    Dead Snow Zeds
    13%
    erooHandsome Bob 2 votes
    BettleJuice
    0%
    Dawn of the Dead Zeds, Romero
    6%
    Kiith 1 vote
    Dracula from Van Helsing
    6%
    Sofiztikated 1 vote
    Scary Girl from the ring
    0%
    The Fog
    13%
    Kiitheroo 2 votes
    The Crow
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Van Helsing
    I'm gonna go with Pennywise, a geniunely more terrifying appearence. I think for me and a lot of people who grew up in my generation and seen IT at an early age became a little unsettled going to the circus afterwards.

Freddys always been a bit meh, in the way his realm in the dreamworld. The fact that pennywise targeted children made him more scary too, and Tim Curry, the make-up job is just mindblowing. To have that impact with one film as opposed to an endless elm street series.

Do I take into account the alien spider end?

anyway, Pennywise, he made clowns scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

AlcoholicA wrote: »

Do I take into account the alien spider end?

It's entirely up to you, but since that is his true form it is relevant.

Van Helsing
    Well the end was the worst part of that film tbh, up until that point it was gold. but i dont think the alien spider sleeps, so freddy couldnt do much to him i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

pennywise FTW

he pretty much started a whole phobia by himself.

where as how many people are afraid of burn victims?

2-0 To Pennywise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Dracula from Van Helsing
    Pennywise. Scared the bejaysus out of me, still not too keen on clowns (or mimes.) Watched it again recently, and the child killer/paedo theme still runs strong and tugs at peoples fears and phobias.

Freddie evolved into a dull parody of himself, a rather comical "antihero."

However, Nightmare on Elm Street did a more memorable line. "Whatever you do, DON'T FALL ASLEEP!"

Pennywise running away with this.

3-0

Pennywise goes through to round 2, Freddy sluks away into the night.

Next battle to follow shortly.

Round 1 Battle 2

Fight of the Infected

28 days later

more info

28_days_later_1-7.jpg

V

Resident Evil

more info

resident-evil-zombies-hands.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dead Snow Zeds
    Would have to go with the infected from 28 Days Later, simply because they are simply more quicker and more feral. Indeed, I think it would be a whitewash, one group is running on pure rage and the other is sluggish.

• Advertisement

Dracula from Van Helsing
    28 Days Later type

Speed: They can run.
    Infection time: 30 seconds. They don't die first, then rise.
    Infection ease: Any bodily fluid transmitted into open cut, orrifice, or cavity.

Resident Evil

Speed: Walking speed, fast shuffle.
    Infection time: Depending on method, but victims have to die first. Then rise. Anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 days.
    Infection ease: Have to be bitten/Infected with G or T virus.

For me, on paper, 28 Days Later has it. However, in my heart, Resident Evil one scare the pants of me. They were the first contact I had with zombies. Who can forget the moment, in the Mansion, when you first come across a guy bent over a body, and when he rises and turns. Your reaction is "OMG!!11!one!! A zombie! I've only got a knife! Fecking leg it!"

Conclusion:
    Resident Evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

the resident evil romero style zombies will always be in my heart but the rage zombies have it on speed they'd just rip through the resident evil zombies before they could do anything.

2 -1 to 28 days later.

I remember playing RE and genuinely being afraid when I could hear the groans and not see them.

28 days later was a world I didn't want to live in either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Fog
    If this is a fight between the 28 Days Later 'zombies' and the Resident Evil zombies, then i'd have to go for the Resident Evil zombies. They are dead afterall, and can take a hell of a lot more punishment then the rage infected ones from 28 Days Later. They will die like regular humans will, whereas a Resident Evil zombie needs his brain to be destroyed.

From a 'Which would i be more scared of', then 28 Days Later wins.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think 28 days would tear the Resi zombies apart.

They're all scum though.

Kiith wrote: »
    If this is a fight between the 28 Days Later 'zombies' and the Resident Evil zombies, then i'd have to go for the Resident Evil zombies. They are dead afterall, and can take a hell of a lot more punishment then the rage infected ones from 28 Days Later. They will die like regular humans will, whereas a Resident Evil zombie needs his brain to be destroyed.

From a 'Which would i be more scared of', then 28 Days Later wins.

You can vote for any reason you wish. So which reason you going with? :pac:

Van Helsing
    28 days later infected/"zombies". The speed and the rage and pure hatred they have whereas resi evil zombies are classic zombies who kill to eat brains.

so resi kills for their hunger while 28 days laters justs kills out of sheer rage!!

EDIT: id try to say, 28 days later zombies kill out of rage so are more driven to kill and are scarier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Alien
    this is a tough call,in a straight fight 28 days zombies win hands down along with being more "realistic"

But for the beauty of spreading the genre,being great games,scaring the sh*t out of a young ginja ninja and just being a far more interesting foe over all
    *drumroll*

Resident Evil baby,rage zombies just can't be let win

Don't worry proper classic Zeds will square off against more modern Zeds later, for now it's the infected.

Will try and tally votes :P

The Fog
    You can vote for any reason you wish. So which reason you going with? :pac:

28 Days Later Zombies then, as they scare the **** out of me :o

• Advertisement

28 Days lead RE 5-2.

One more vote and 28 days goes through to the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Have to go for 28 days later!

The RE zombies are in a way more scary. Something freaky about the way they keep coming at you, hard to stop the bastards too. They seem more unnatural than the 28 days later ones!

But having said that I'd face the RE over the rage ones anyday. The rage zombies are so much more violent and blood thirsty! So easy to get infected too.

So my vote goes for 28 days later!

28 days infected take this one, 6-2

Next battle to follow shortly.

Round 1 Battle 3

Battle of the Sun haters

I am Legend

More Info

ial.jpg

V

Pitch Black

More info

pbeast.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MissNaomi

I AM LEGEND !

Pitch black was a nice try for fun but... no real kick for me !

Loved the way it was written and taken to the next level.

Voted :P

Dracula from Van Helsing
    Pitch Black

Unknown quantity. Can't tell how many of the bastid's there are.
    Hard to see.
    Scared/burned by light.

I Am Legend

Large number. Based on a guestimate, over 8 billion, allowing for current population, plus growth.
    Human based, but advanced capabilities.

Conclusion.
    Pitch Black. I am Legend beings just weren't scary. I never felt any tension while watching it.
    Whereas Pitch black, made on a budget of €2 and a can of coke created some genuinely tension filled moments. The thing is, you see or almost see some of the creatures, but theres the "What if" factor as well. What if theres bigger ones. What if they get me, will I die quick? What if they keep coming?

Van Helsing
    Ill vote I am legend, even though the CGI ruined these creatures from ever being truly scary, they still held more impact than pitch black.
    They got smarter as we seen in the film, could make plans/traps.

I am Legend Creatures, Lead 2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Alien
    I am legend is a great film the infected are so much more dynamic than most other monsters,as well as only having a hypersensitivty to sunlight,which is a bit of a dodgy weakness IMO

but the Pitch Black flying creatures aren't even known about until it's too late,they travel in huge swarms,can devour a body in seconds as well as being much more susceptible to the sun[with 3 suns ontheir planet theys still became the dominant predator] and are in one of my favourite films of all time

Pitch Black all the way

• Advertisement

The Fog
    Pitch Black hands down. Super fast, flying monsters with razor sharp claws/spikes against stupid looking half zombie/goblin type things? No contest here.

Unless Riddick gets infected that is...

Advertisement