Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

awec wrote: »
    Bank doesn't care about your snag list.

The point about paying before snagging is that builders are always quicker to fix things when they're waiting on their money.

I know that, while I may have drawn down, I won't be closing (or paying) until the snag list is complete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Its not a snag thats the issue though. Its the homebond cert & the BER cert.
    Whatever about BER cert, funds wont be released by the bank until they are in receipt of Homebond cert.

This is an awful predicament to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

TheShow wrote: »
    Its not a snag thats the issue though. Its the homebond cert & the BER cert.
    Whatever about BER cert, funds wont be released by the bank until they are in receipt of Homebond cert.

This is an awful predicament to be fair.

Honestly I've felt sick with stress for the last couple of days. It's the BCAR certs which take 21 days to be approved, so I'm hoping that the Homebond cert will be quicker. I've spoken to the solicitor and the bank and the general advice we've been given is to hold steady for the moment and make sure we have everything on our side ready to draw down.

Honestly I've felt sick with stress for the last couple of days. It's the BCAR certs which take 21 days to be approved, so I'm hoping that the Homebond cert will be quicker. I've spoken to the solicitor and the bank and the general advice we've been given is to hold steady for the moment and make sure we have everything on our side ready to draw down.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you, hope it works out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

TheShow wrote: »
    Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you, hope it works out....

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that. I'll update when the time comes, might be useful if anyone else finds themselves in a similar position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Sale Agreed at 11 am yesterday.

Formal loan application submitted by mortgage advisor to underwriting, sales advice notice issued by estate agent and contracts were requested by our solicitor by 1pm yesterday. Bank valuation will be next week & surveyor is on standby once we get maps of the site.

Mortgage protection is lined up (we scoped our available products) and I’ve some home insurance quotes ready to go.

It’s all moving very quickly. I am concerned that we won’t get full loan approval (changing jobs- but within the same field/same role) but it might be more my own worries, as the mortgage advisor has advised us to crack on. I know they’re just salespeople but hopefully it’s an indication that the bank is willing to lend! We are borrowing 2.5x our income with a repayment capacity of about 1000 per month more than the mortgage payment at the min so hopefully that looks good in the banks eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Musefan wrote: »

Formal loan application submitted by mortgage advisor to underwriting, sales advice notice issued by estate agent and contracts were requested by our solicitor by 1pm yesterday. Bank valuation will be next week & surveyor is on standby once we get maps of the site.

Mortgage protection is lined up (we scoped our available products) and I’ve some home insurance quotes ready to go.

It’s all moving very quickly. I am concerned that we won’t get full loan approval (changing jobs- but within the same field/same role) but it might be more my own worries, as the mortgage advisor has advised us to crack on. I know they’re just salespeople but hopefully it’s an indication that the bank is willing to lend! We are borrowing 2.5x our income with a repayment capacity of about 1000 per month more than the mortgage payment at the min so hopefully that looks good in the banks eyes.

I am more or less at the same stage as you now - race you :)

Best of luck !!!

whatever76 wrote: »
    I am more or less at the same stage as you now - race you :)

Best of luck !!!

Same to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think you may find issues if you tell your bank you changed jobs.

Usually they require you to have passed your probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I wouldn't tell the bank you're changing jobs.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't tell the bank you're changing jobs.

Hey, thanks. My understanding is there’s an obligation to be honest about any material facts that would influence your application. I’ve been open about my situation from the get go with the bank, there hasn’t been an issue thus far thankfully! I’ll see what they come back with. I didn’t want a scenario involving weeks of worry that I would be found out. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out but at least we will know what way to go about it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hey, thanks. My understanding is there’s an obligation to be honest about any material facts that would influence your application. I’ve been open about my situation from the get go with the bank, there hasn’t been an issue thus far thankfully! I’ll see what they come back with. I didn’t want a scenario involving weeks of worry that I would be found out. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out but at least we will know what way to go about it next time.

Yea I don't know of anyone who has been approved while on probation so you may want to call them asap before you get further down the track with the estate agent. Additionally there's presumably other people who would like to buy the house you've bid on & you're wasting their time & the vendors.

Yea I don't know of anyone who has been approved while on probation so you may want to call them asap before you get further down the track with the estate agent. Additionally there's presumably other people who would like to buy the house you've bid on & you're wasting their time & the vendors.

The mortgage advisor advised we proceed with the application after I outlined my full work history to her, and upcoming change of jobs.

The mortgage advisor advised we proceed with the application after I outlined my full work history to her, and upcoming change of jobs.

Unless you've underwritten approval that means absolutely nothing so I wouldn't count on it tbh.

The only way I can think it might work is that your partner could get the mortgage on her own (i.e. their salary x 3.5 is above what you're looking for anyway) Then the bank would treat your income as basically a nice to have, but not an essential part of the application.

Unless you've underwritten approval that means absolutely nothing so I wouldn't count on it tbh.

The only way I can think it might work is that your partner could get the mortgage on her own (i.e. their salary x 3.5 is above what you're looking for anyway) Then the bank would treat your income as basically a nice to have, but not an essential part of the application.

I’m aware it’s up to the underwriters. The bank we are going with have advised accept probation if it’s a move to a similar role and a consistent 3 year work history in the same field is indicated.

I’m aware it’s up to the underwriters. The bank we are going with have advised accept probation if it’s a move to a similar role and a consistent 3 year work history in the same field is indicated.

Fair enough, hopefully it works out!

Fair enough, hopefully it works out!

Me too! Thanks! I’m hoping that it isn’t going to be the a nightmare. Well aware that it will have wasted time if it falls through and felt guilty for a bit because I envisaged an issue. But then I realized I’m in the same position as anyone else really- anyone could get AIP like us and then be refused! I’m not sure if it’s a mitigating factor, but jobs in the career I’m in are fairly watertight (phd level health service worker) and my partners salary would comfortably pay our mortgage payments. He has been with the same company for four years, and I’ve been in the same field for 6 years. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Should know next week.

Approved with a condition of passing probation is normal enough.

I was approved and drew down mortgage while on probation.
    Just changed jobs, same role in a different company. Wasn't an issue, wasn't even questioned.
    I think most banks are practical about it.
    Its only really an issue if you are just starting out in your career or you completely change career.

And who cares about that, you've made a valid offer and its been accepted. You are getting your ducks in a row. If anyone is put out by that tough sh1t to them.

Just got formal loan approval there! No issues about the probation or needing new pay slips unless we don’t close by the year end. It’s fair enough as that will be about 6 months since our AIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hey
    We went sale agreed, paid deposit, survey done, lawyer involved but it is been around 2.5 weeks and our Lawyer didn't get contracts yet. Should we worry?
    Another question : is it sense to make offer and go Sale agreed with another house we like or rather we should wait?
    We are newbies, help please!
    It is a second hand house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hey
    We went sale agreed, paid deposit, survey done, lawyer involved but it is been around 2.5 weeks and our Lawyer didn't get contracts yet. Should we worry?
    Another question : is it sense to make offer and go Sale agreed with another house we like or rather we should wait?

Why would you make an offer on another house when you have gone sale agreed on the first house?

That makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Does anyone know what bank or lenders might offer a mortgage to self employed person without needing 3 years of accounts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hey

We waited 7 weeks for contracts. Annual leave was a problem there but getting deeds from the bank can take a while for the sellers.

You have paid for a survey and are proceeding with one sale. Why would you interfere with another? You could drive up the price for no reason at all. Not fair on the sellers, other buyers or the estate agents. By all means keep looking in case the first one were to fall through but to bid is unfair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Gonad wrote: »
    Does anyone know what bank or lenders might offer a mortgage to self employed person without needing 3 years of accounts ?

Most need two years worth, not three.

G_R wrote: »
    Most need two years worth, not three.

I needed none, EBS

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for the house to be finished before I can drawdown my mortgage.

The mortgage rate that I agreed to has dropped by .1% Do I have any right to get the new rate seeing as I haven't drawn down yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

stdidit wrote: »
    I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for the house to be finished before I can drawdown my mortgage.

The mortgage rate that I agreed to has dropped by .1% Do I have any right to get the new rate seeing as I haven't drawn down yet?

Your rate isn’t fixed until the funds are drawdown. So if the type of rate you have picked goes up or down, it should automatically changed accordingly. Usually a new loan offer will automatically issue so with new builds, you can have a few loan offer. Double check with your mortgage advisor but I’d expect them to say a new loan offer will issue. Unless your BOI, you will have to and a trip to see your solicitor to sign it

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Your rate isn’t fixed until the funds are drawdown. So if the type of rate you have picked goes up or down, it should automatically changed accordingly. Usually a new loan offer will automatically issue so with new builds, you can have a few loan offer. Double check with your mortgage advisor but I’d expect them to say a new loan offer will issue. Unless your BOI, you will have to and a trip to see your solicitor to sign it

Great news, thanks for confirming. Even .1% makes a difference! We went through a broker so will follow up with him next week.

• Advertisement

Gonad wrote: »

Bank of Scotland used to, didnt work out too well for them.

You should be able to use your tax returns for the last 3 years if you don't produce accounts. Check with your bank, they will most likely accept it to verify your income.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement