Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incapacitated child tax credit

• 25-10-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Would anyone know if you can claim this if your child has a diagnosis of Tourette’s and dyspraxia.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Hi,

Would anyone know if you can claim this if your child has a diagnosis of Tourette’s and dyspraxia.

Thanks

Do you expect your child to go to college or to get a job when they leave the education system?

If yes to the above, then no you cannot claim the incapacitated child credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

We claimed it, I still hope he will be able to do work/college, I've no idea where we'll be at in 12 years.

edit: for Autism

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Neither ailment is debilitating enough that the child would not be able to maintain themselves independently if needed, upon reaching the age of 18. That's the main condition that needs to be satisfied in order to be eligible for the tax credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lazyman

Do you expect your child to go to college or to get a job when they leave the education system?

If yes to the above, then no you cannot claim the incapacitated child credit.

I don't know who told you this but you are absolutely wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Yes you can claim it. The Doctor is giving an opinion based on a snapshot in time not predicting the future.
    You should get 4 years backdated or to the date of birth whichever is sooner.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Neither ailment is debilitating enough that the child would not be able to maintain themselves independently if needed, upon reaching the age of 18. That's the main condition that needs to be satisfied in order to be eligible for the tax credit.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

DubCount wrote: »

Good thing you’re not the assessment officer so, its not as black and white as your interpretation.

Good thing you’re not the assessment officer so, its not as black and white as your interpretation.

Its not a matter of my interpretation. I have linked the Revenue Commissioners website. Its their interpretation that counts. I think this is pretty clear.

If you are confident that this is incorrect, you can contact Revenue and ask for their opinion, first hand. That way, you wont claim a tax credit you are not entitled to.

DubCount wrote: »
    Its not a matter of my interpretation. I have linked the Revenue Commissioners website. Its their interpretation that counts. I think this is pretty clear.

If you are confident that this is incorrect, you can contact Revenue and ask for their opinion, first hand. That way, you wont claim a tax credit you are not entitled to.

I have and my interpretation is correct.Thanks for the Tory condescension though.

• Advertisement

.........Thanks for the Tory condescension though.

Maybe this comment wasn't needed.

People reading this post can make up their own minds on which of us is right.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

lazyman wrote: »
    I don't know who told you this but you are absolutely wrong here

Happy to be proven wrong, but it'll take more than someone saying "you are wrong".
    Yes you can claim it. The Doctor is giving an opinion based on a snapshot in time not predicting the future.
    You should get 4 years backdated or to the date of birth whichever is sooner.

You're right, they can claim it. Plenty of people claim tax credits incorrectly, but they will have to pay them back if/when discovered.

"A child under the age of 18 years shall be regarded as permanently incapacitated by reason of mental or physical infirmity only if the infirmity is such that there would be a reasonable expectation that if the child were over the age of 18 years the child would be incapacitated from maintaining himself or herself."

If under the age of 18, for the application, the doctor is expected to state their opinion on whether the child would be able to maintain themselves when they are 18. So no, it's not just a snapshot in time.

Going to college with the aim of getting a job after graduation would not be considered to be permanently incapacitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Probably best to contact an accountant for their opinion on it.

Advertisement