Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't believe this time next week. It will be October!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

If it's the house I'm thinking of, I believe they do it to raise money for Crumlin Hospital.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thread updated with the new snazzy non-COVID related name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Loughc wrote: »

Thanks to all who suggested names but I for one am happy that its not Covid related. Hopefully this pandemic will end and we will be able to look back in years to come on this thread and not be greeted with something that would be painful to many.:( The new thread name is great:D

• Advertisement

Virtual toast to 10K posts of discussing our shared love of all things Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm not going to lie, I loved logging on and seeing the updated thread name. I think it's a great choice.

Also, It's finally feeling like Autumn. I'm wearing a jumper for the first time in months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm not going to lie, I loved logging on and seeing the updated thread name. I think it's a great choice.

Also, It's finally feeling like Autumn. I'm wearing a jumper for the first time in months.

It's been very cold last few nights, I need to break out the hoodies... I think it's hoody weather but we are dangerously close to turning the heating back on...

I don't think we've use it since April!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's been very cold last few nights, I need to break out the hoodies... I think it's hoody weather but we are dangerously close to turning the heating back on...

We have started to light the stove again the last few nights. It's been very relaxing I have to say.

I don't think we've used the heating since around then as well, but I say in a few weeks it will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Delighted to log in and see my contribution shall forever (well for 10k posts anyway) be enshrined in the history of the Christmas forum.:D

And all messing aside, I genuinely would have been disappointed with a covid related one (even though there was one in particular was excellent), I, like many I suspect, are struggling in some ways with all this coronavirus stuff and love coming in here to chat about the things we all love about christmas, seeing a daily reminder of this situation is not ideal IMO and its great to see so many felt the same.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

DvB wrote: »
    Delighted to log in and see my contribution shall forever (well for 10k posts anyway) be enshrined in the history of the Christmas forum.:D

And all messing aside, I genuinely would have been disappointed with a covid related one (even though there was one in particular was excellent), I, like many I suspect, are struggling in some ways with all this coronavirus stuff and love coming in here to chat about the things we all love about christmas, seeing a daily reminder of this situation is not ideal IMO and its great to see so many felt the same.

Considering the last thread ran from 23-11-2017 to 20-09-2020 we could have been reminded about it for 3 years!!

kitten_k wrote: »
    Considering the last thread ran from 23-11-2017 to 20-09-2020 we could have been reminded about it for 3 years!!

:eek:, sod that for a game of soldiers! :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Shorts are put away to the back of the shelf, even though it was lovely yesterday. I'm wearing a light hoody, as it's noticeably cooler today, but it's looking like the sunshine is breaking through :) We'll be holding off lighting the stove until October, not long to go!

I love the thread title :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We'll get an apostrophe put in the ITS as soon as one of us is on the full website. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    We'll get an apostrophe put in the ITS as soon as one of us is on the full website. :pac:

I didn't want to be 'that guy'.......:D

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Posy wrote: »

All fixed now, happy (almost) Rudolph Day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

For anyone who finds themselves having to cook Christmas dinner for themselves this year here's my cheat.. for the last number of years I have bought the prepacked carvery sliced Turkey and Ham pieces with the stuffing in the middle, exactly like you get if you order the turkey and ham in a restaurant, and they taste delicious about 30 minutes in the oven and your done, I get them from my local meat wholesaler at €17 for 5 portions I think, but I have seen them in some butchers!! My kids aren't big fans of Turkey so no point in buying a big one as it will go to waste and given that they spend Stephen's day with their grandparents definitely no point!!

We only use our boiler for the heating so similarly our's hasn't been on since spring. I'm always a bit worried when I put it on for the first time in autumn that it breakdown!

We use our boiler all year round for hot water, just turn the thermostats down to make sure the rads dont heat up, & FTR the mrs put the heating back on Tuesday night for an hour. I was soaked after coming home from training with the kids & it was great after having a shower sitting down to watch GBBO in a snug warm house. First of many this year I suspect & I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Want to get organised early this year.
    Will be just the 4 of us - Husband, 2 Kids & I. Kids too old for Santa this year but will still do Gifts in the morning from each other etc.

Will need to post Gifts to other family members some abroad.

We will do a (small) Traditional Christmas Dinner with leftovers for the 26th.

Apart from Gifts, what other things can/should I buy ahead of time ? Starting from early October onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

All fixed now, happy (almost) Rudolph Day :pac:
    It's a Christmas miracle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So autumnal today - I'm working from home and looking out my bedroom window and the leaves on the trees on the green behind me are starting to go that lovely orange/rusty colour but theres still a good bit of green too - can't wait for October when they'll be completely changed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Heeeey. Greetings from another Christmas lover!

This one will be a weird one as it’s likely that I won’t make it home, so Christmas away for the first time ever, but everyone understands the situation and maybe, just maybe, I can even persuade my mum to join in a Zoom call. :)

Already thinking of presents though, particularly for my two little nieces.

Weird times at the moment. I think we need something to look forward to!

I want to buy a tree right now!!! :D

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Heeeey. Greetings from another Christmas lover!

This one will be a weird one as it’s likely that I won’t make it home, so Christmas away for the first time ever, but everyone understands the situation and maybe, just maybe, I can even persuade my mum to join in a Zoom call. :)

Already thinking of presents though, particularly for my two little nieces.

Weird times at the moment. I think we need something to look forward to!

I want to buy a tree right now!!! :D

Welcome. Love the username :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Question for those of you with older kids- do you still do Santy?
    We still wrap the presents and leave them in the sitting room with their names on them and we wouldn't have it any other way, still gives us a bit of cheer to see them getting a surprise on Christmas morning.
    BY the way, the kids are aged 18 and 26 :)

We still wrap the presents and leave them in the sitting room with their names on them and we wouldn't have it any other way, still gives us a bit of cheer to see them getting a surprise on Christmas morning.

I'm in my 40's and still get presents from Santa (wrapped and under the tree) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Yep...older child here. Still work really hard to keep the element of surprise and magic for Christmas.

Ours are 9 (turn 10 just after Christmas) and we most definitely still do Santa, in fact we're digging our heels in to keep it going as long as possible as I dread the years the magic ends, though accept it's in the post. But as I've said before even when the 'believe' years are over we'll still celebrate it with as much gusto as we can & just find new ways to enjoy the most wonderful time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

19 and 21 here - still do Santa but they generally know what the 'main' present is, as they have had to give us details! But it's still wrapped and maybe even hidden. I use small gifts and the stockings to keep a bit of a surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Myself and himself have a tradition of going for lunch on Xmas Eve. We both have busy Xmas/Stephens' Day with families, so it started as our moment of peace to enjoy each other's company before it all kicked off! This will also be the last year we do our traditional fam one too as we're getting married next April!

I booked us into our favourite place today for this Xmas Eve(you have to book it months in advance), hoping they're still in a position to have us!

Advertisement