Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Face covering exemption question

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

loveall wrote: »
    Kid sounds as though they'd rather wear a mask than be ridiculed. Try it....what harm?

OP, why can your child not wear one? Do they want to try wearing it, maybe?

Wearing one might turn out to be a better alternative than the additional social distancing the school has put in place as an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A regulated surgical mask in a clinical environment maybe but an unregulated filthy snot rag that has been knocking around your arse pocket which you constantly fiddle, touch and wear around your chin will have zero impact on the spread of any respiratory virus.

But go ahead and believe your logic if it makes you feel better about the whole thing.

You really don't seem to be understanding how masks work, here's a bit of an experiment you can try at home.

Take a tennis ball, throw it at a wall. Did it got through? More than likely not, unless your arm is a cannon and the ball is steel.

Take that same tennis ball, throw it at a hedge. Did it go though? Most of the time it'll probably get stuck, the odd one might get through.

The majority of masks people wear aren't 100% effective, no.

But they're also not 0% effective.

Do you know what's 0% effective? Not wearing a bloody mask at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Get a grip.

Look, some people understand the role they play in society and other are just *****.

I know which I am. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I don't like it and it doesn't stop the spread of the virus. Why do you think a dirty piece on unregulated polyester would stop the spread of the virus?
    *facepalm

Oh ffs. I stand corrected yet again: NOW I've heard everything.. .. ..

You were one of them 'specials' at the anti-mask protest weren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’d rather the school protect the rights of the rest of the classes health over the perceived medical reason for one not to wear a mask and risk spreading it to others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

radia wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think anyone is lumpenly accepting anything.
    The purpose of the plastic is to reduce the forward transmission of aerosol droplets expelled from the respiratory system of the wearer towards the face of someone else. Will it stop transmission entirely? No, of course not. Air will travel down and around (like it travels out of the sides/bottom/top of a mask unless it's moulded to the face, which most aren't). However it can certainly reduce transmission, with some droplets being coughed onto, and remaining on, the inside of the mask.

A very very small possibility of a reduction in transmission, which begs the question is all this disruption worth it when very few people have this virus, very few people are dying and very few people are in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I dont think he is a victim or he is being discriminated against.
    I think these words are thrown around far too easily these days without any real understanding of their meaning.
    He isn't able to wear a mask but others should still be protected. We all have to protect eachother. Alternatively he could wear a visor.

LillySV wrote: »
    I’d rather the school protect the rights of the rest of the classes health over the perceived medical reason for one not to wear a mask and risk spreading it to others

You do realise that rights are actually being restricted and curtailed not protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

todolist wrote: »
    Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

Because none of us know if we have it or not which is the whole point of masks .
    Would he wear a visor instead at least

A very very small possibility of a reduction in transmission, which begs the question is all this disruption worth it when very few people have this virus, very few people are dying and very few people are in hospital.
    Where are you getting your flimsy little bits of information that you some construe as actual facts? The back of cereal boxes?

• Advertisement

To be honest this type of response does nothing to help your argument.

Look at it from other parents point of view too.... Alot of parents have really wrestled with sending their kids back to school, but risk v reward school won out. Do you think they'll be overly pleased if their child was seated beside a non mask wearing child for the full day?

The mask is to mitigate the risk of picking up and spreading the virus, so unfortunately your child not wearing the mask will be seen as the "weak link" in the class and a risk factor.... You may not like to be seen that way, but that's how many parents will perceive it.

Were parents so concerned when seasonal flu virus circulates which is actually more lethal for children than corona virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

OP you should be glad that the school is taking action to protect your child by keeping him shielded away from the other children. Masks don’t completely reduce the risk of transmission so if he has no mask and is sitting next to a masked child with covid he could catch it. It sounds like the school are being really careful and sensible, it’s not discrimination.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Where are you getting your flimsy little bits of information that you some construe as actual facts? The back of cereal boxes?

30 years of empirical evidence on face masks. Clearly you haven't questioned any of the narrative or thought about this issue independently other than what Government has told you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

He came home from school very distressed at they way he was treated.He was clearly victimized because he's been picked out and treated differently. I assumed he would just sit at his designated desk like all his other classmates.

Well, sitting separate or not, he is going to face that anyway as he isn't wearing a mask, therefore different to all the other kids.
    I understand this is stressful for you and your family. It would also be stressful for another family if your son was placed unmasked beside their kid.
    Maybe approach the school and see if a compromise can be made (someone mentioned desk screen?) and have a word with other parents if you know them and it can help make things easier for your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

He came home from school very distressed at they way he was treated.He was clearly victimized because he's been picked out and treated differently. I assumed he would just sit at his designated desk like all his other classmates.

I can understand why your son would feel singled out but I think both you and the school should anticipated the problem.

The school should have known it would make a child upset and you should have known that a screen was necessary if he cannot wear a mask.

Ignore the people giving out saying "home school" and such. Just talk to the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

You do realise that rights are actually being restricted and curtailed not protected?

No the other kids rights to have their environment kept as safe as possible is been kept up by the school, fair dues to them

It’s been proven that people can get the same level of oxygen through the approved masks so I’d love to see what the medical reason is not to wear one.... not wanting to wear one or their parents having nothin better to do than fight public advice is not “medical reasons “

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I didn't know thee was medical reasons that wouldn't allow wearing of a mask.

30 years of empirical evidence on face masks. Clearly you haven't questioned any of the narrative or thought about this issue independently other than what Government has told you.
    *facepalm

Ah lads stop. No one can possibly be this.. .. jesus.

I don't think debating the usefulness of masks is helpful to the op.

Maybe use one of the many other threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

kenmm wrote: »
    I don't think debating the usefulness of masks is helpful to the op.

Maybe use one of the many other threads..

Exactly, those posters will rile the OP up and then walk away happy that they’ve pushed their agenda on to one more person.

Really all the OP can do is speak to the school and work out a solution that works for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I didn't know thee was medical reasons that wouldn't allow wearing of a mask.

Yeah there is a list of them.

Autism or sensory issues would be the main ones for children.

Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

You don't know he doesn't have it tho unless you have some test that you use every day that gives the results back right away..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

OP ultimately the school have a responsibility to all students and the teachers with Covid-19 prevention. Face masks are mandatory. Your son has a legitimate medical exemption. The school can't just say "Okay, forget about it".

They need to have some measure to prevent transmission both from and to your child. Preventative measures only work if they're applied to all. Your child may feel discriminated against, but he's not. The best preventative measure that can be applied to your child taking into account their medical exemption from wearing a facemask has been applied.

Yeah there is a list of them.

Autism or sensory issues would be the main ones for children.

Actually you don't need a medical reason and the school needs to outline under what statutory instrument they are collecting that medical information.

This whole fiasco is a nonsense. I cannot get over how so many parents have been so compliant in accepting these restrictions when rationale behind these measures is very questionable.

Seems that parents will accept anything in the mistaken assumption that things will just back to normal when the reality is that only when you start to resist and question these measure that these intrusions will stop.

All of this is having a serious impact on children's development and parents who blindly accept these measures are complicit in any long term adverse impacts for not questioning these contradictory restrictions.

Actually you don't need a medical reason and the school needs to outline under what statutory instrument they are collecting that medical information.

This whole fiasco is a nonsense. I cannot get over how so many parents have been so compliant in accepting these restrictions when rationale behind these measures is very questionable.

Seems that parents will accept anything in the mistaken assumption that things will just back to normal when the reality is that only when you start to resist and question these measure that these intrusions will stop.

All of this is having a serious impact on children's development and parents who blindly accept these measures are complicit in any long term adverse impacts for not questioning these contradictory restrictions.

Maybe start your own thread then and stop banging on about it on someone else's advice thread?

Someone comes on, is stressed out and asks a question. Is this the time to be adding more stress to prove your own point?

amdublin wrote: »
    So what, because you "don't like it", we do nothing? We are all taking lots of different steps - a mask is just one of them.

What's next? You "don't like" people washing their hands?

The real question you should ask is - why are increasing restrictions, curtailing personal freedoms and rights to an education for an unremarkable virus that is a bad flu equivalent?

Almost nobody is dying, almost nobody is getting sick and almost nobody is in hospital from this virus so why are we traumatising our children and sending them into these hostile environments with people wearing masks and separating from one another where there is little or no risk of getting this virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.

Because he’s not wearing a mask, you don’t know he doesn’t have it.

kenmm wrote: »
    Maybe start your own thread then and stop banging on about it on someone else's advice thread?

Someone comes on, is stressed out and asks a question. Is this the time to be adding more stress to prove your own point?

It's a relative point because people need to question the rationale behind these measures which are causing the concern. You have to address the underlying issue which are the restrictions in school and what is the basis for excluding that child especially when those reasons are illogical and make no sense.

Because he’s not wearing a mask, you don’t know he doesn’t have it.

Since when did people go around living their lives on the basis that they might have an illness, we used to call those people hypochondriacs.

Did you go around last year with the assumption you had the flu?

• Advertisement

It's a relative point because people need to question the rationale behind these measures which are causing the concern. You have to address the underlying issue which are the restrictions in school and what is the basis for excluding that child especially when those reasons are illogical and make no sense.

YOU think it's relative. It's not all about you. Someone is looking for advice on how to handle a situation. If you want to debate the events leading to the situation, wouldn't it be more appropriate to go start a thread in the right forum than spend half if this one detracting from the OPs query?

Mods probably gonna get me for back seat modding here. Fine, but I'm fed up with this constant derailment on innocent enough question/answer type threads.

Advertisement