Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free online professional engineering development material

• 18-02-2020 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

I am an engineer (chemical/ process) and I have a bit of free time on my hands during the working day. Instead of mindlessly surfing the internet I want to do some professional development. The job doesn't really promote any professional training/ development so want to look at any free online options.

I have already completed the Spirax Servo steam awareness free training and have looked at other equipment providers for free materials Endress Hauser, TLV, ABB and IchemE etc.

Does anyone know of any other free online material or certification? I am happy to look into any other disciplines (mechanical, instruments, electrical etc.) So if anyone has any ideas I would be greatly appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Sometimes the lack of interaction here is poor --

Here are a few things I use in my Electronic background

Coursera - lots of free courses and paid courses there.

Remember your plant does not stay static, you could be always looking and thinking about new improvements and spend time doing the research in the background - the science - the equipment, the process. Come up with a proposal for new process or feature . Perhaps write a science paper........... Be your own learning platform.

Some great courses on springboard - watch though commitment alongside ft job.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Thank you for the feed back. I will definitely check out Coursera and your other recommendations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know about chem/process but in mechanical if you can spare a few euros they can go a long way with professional training.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

If you did the Spirax one and liked it then try Schneider’s Energy University - keep yourself tested for weeks for free
    https://www.schneideruniversities.com/?tsk=z294v&pc=13877&keycode=z294v&promocode=13877&promo_key=z294v

If you do the PEM exam and pay the modest fee - I think you get a shot of CPD points too

This is quite similar in content to the AEE Certified Energy Management (CEM) but doesn’t carry the recognition

Advertisement