Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Friday the 18th of March announced as an extra bank holiday this year! 4 day weekend! 😃

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This had made my year so far 😀

Also With the news that next year that extra bank holiday will be the first Monday in February going forward.

Its Also means next year we will have bank holidays in Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, August, October and 2 in December!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm very keen on a four day weekend to look forward to, with another four day weekend only a month later. 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My company doesn’t recognise good Friday as a day off. 😢

So unless I take annual leave it won’t be a 4 day weekend for me.

Mine do, but they don't recognise Christmas Eve as a day off, so swings and roundabouts. 😂

• Advertisement

Mine also don’t recognise Christmas Eve. 😂😂

Lol 😄 yeah it's a regular working day in my workplace, but we finish early, so that's something.

It's on a Saturday this Christmas- can't wait to not have to work it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Double nice, 4 day weekend this year and from next year that horrible time from Jan to March gets broken up with a free day off.

Into the 330s now in the countdown. January well and truly on the way out now.

Extra day off this year. Good start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yeah, loving the idea of St. Brigids day for the first Monday in Feb. Perfect way to celebrate getting through January in one piece!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Yeah, that will be lovely to look forward to! 😊

Plus, about time we have a day celebrating a female saint, since we already have Stephen, Nicholas, Valentine, Patrick, Swithin, etc getting all the glory. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It's pay day and I'm going to be booking our hotel for our summer holiday to London/Goodwood.😁

The last time I was abroad was the week Ireland went into lockdown!

Nice. We are looking at ferries so UK or maybe even France on the cards. Early days but exciting to even be thinking/talking about it!

Positivity is off the charts this morning across the board. That double bank holiday in March is looking like it’s going to be sweet now.

Gonna try and plan a weekend away somewhere make the most of it.

Going to a pub and having a proper pint with a friend this evening, it's the little things 😄

Good stuff. Glad you had a good night. Great to be able to say that these days!

It's the last weekend of January!! Cause for celebrations!

• Advertisement

Got paid for the first time since before christmas on Wednesday & its Friday... I've had the mother of all weeks with work so by god am I gonna have a drink or 2 at some stage over the weekend!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

First trip booked for the first time since late 2019, heck furthest I've been outside of Dublin in the last two years was Wicklow, so something to look forward to.

Heading to Edinburgh for the June bank holiday weekend and I'm going solo. I joined a FB Group last year for Solo Female Travellers and have been so envious looking at everyone's pics and carefree trip reports. I've been over before so know exactly where I want to go and what I want to see. So for the first time it's all going to be about treating myself, going at my own pace, where I want to go and where I want to eat. Fingers/toes crossed now that everything runs smoothly until then and no more restriction returns come June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oh that's fabulous. Edinburgh is a great city and one that's perfect for solo travelers. Feels very safe too, I've never seen any trouble.

I've gone on my own, with one other person and with a group of friends and loved it every time. Heading again in 3 weeks.

Solo traveling is liberating, do and see what you want to do. Enjoy it ❤️

im feeling positive we won’t see any restrictions until potentially next October/November if at all.

I went to Edinburgh by myself the year before covid, for the May Bank Holiday weekend. It was great- doing and seeing what I wanted, all at my own pace- reading my book in the hotel lobby with a glass of wine in the evening before dinner. It wasn't my first time there, but it's so small that it's really easy to get around!

Plus, there's a Christmas shop there open 12 months a year. 🎄

I hope you have a great time! 🙂

Thanks Posy

Hope you have a great trip gidget.

I did a bit of sole travelling back when I was younger and loved it. Done lots of couple and group travelling since and while all have their pros and cons, sometimes I missing those times being able do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Inter railed (remember that anyone!?) around Europe by myself in my late teens during my summer break from college... loved it, scared as they come at the start (& on more than one lonely night in a city I hadn't a breeze about) but settled into it & met some brilliant brilliant people, Its most definitely a mind opening experience & the freedom is fantastic if embraced.

• Advertisement

The Bambino slept from Midnight to 7am Saturday night straight. It was like winning the lotto, no such luck last night but hey I'll take one day over zero days.

Advertisement