Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jazz ???????

• 16-01-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

give me all your tips on who to listen to so i can get my own collection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What have you heard and liked (or not liked?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192728

There's a lot of recommendations in this thread but if there's something more specific you're looking for let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Here are some modern recommendations:

Spring Heel Jack (Not to be confused with Spring Heeled Jack). Started out their days in Drum n' Bass believe it or not. Have a listen to Songs and Themes on Boomkat. Also check out Franz Koglmann and for the more trendy kind of Jazz St. Germain are a good listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

k heres the deal so far...........bought some coltrane, didnt really like it, too free jazzy for me. bought some miles davis....awsome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well again it depends on what Coltrane album you bought. Blue Train is nearer the beginning of his solo career, and you might find that more enjoyable than something like Ascension/Live at Birdland etc. After the brilliant Giant Steps he begins to go quite far 'out', so if you're not into that you might find a lot of his 60s records inacessible.

Try some Herbie Hancock, particularly Takin' Off if you like your jazz with a groove. The first track called Watermelon Man is a classic.

ok thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ray Charles can be considered Jazz right?

Dont know dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Ray Charles can be considered Jazz right?

I think Ray Charles would be considered as more rhythm & blues than jazz, though he can be jazzy at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Every jazz collection on the planet has a Jaco Pastorius album in it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

Wanye Shorter :cool:

leon45 wrote: »
    Wanye Shorter :cool:

Also Zero Cool

Also Zero Cool

That was the name of the main charicters computer handle in hackers

I'm accualy really liking Miles Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I'm accualy really liking Miles Davis

You sound surprised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Can I be a bit selfish and recommend http://www.curiosmusic.com/ One of them's a mate of mine, but don't let that put you off. I can't pretend to be knowledgable about jazz but I've heard a fair bit of these and really like some of it.

Dont worry about it man, im open to pretty much anything as long as its not too free jazzy or out there because im trying to eas myself in and its hard to enjoy the mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hermosotrozo

I have been really into female jazz vocalists of late. I recently purchased an album from Luba Mason that really impressed me. Does anyone know any other good female jazz vocalists? I enjoy more world/Latin influenced Jazz. I am listening to an artist named Margo Reymundo right now who I am starting to really enjoy. Check out her myspace and let me know of any similar artists.
    http://www.myspace.com/margoreymundomusic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Jazz vocals aren't necessarily up my alley, but I did pick up an interesting album by Esperanza Spalding recently. She's a great double bassist who also sings, some interesting tracks.

• Advertisement

Be brave and have a listen to Maria Joao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Every jazz collection on the planet has a Jaco Pastorius album in it

Hey, ya gotta have some Jaco! :cool:

My favourite of the albums he was on would have to be Weather Report's Heavy Weather album. Amazing stuff... the late great Joe Zawinul played in Weather Report too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 curtisunit

Jazz is pretty subjective stuff. There are a lot of reasons why you might like it. Maybe you like the aesthetic of the 'cool' factor. Maybe you get high off the musical conversation. Maybe it's the sound, groove ; whatever. Some of my favorites are Mingus, Eric Dolphy, Miles Davis (any era), Cecil Taylor, Hermeto Pascoal, Kurt Rosenwinkle, BILL FRISELL & NG La Banda. There's also Wayne Krantz, Kneebody,New York Gypsy All Stars & Miguel Zenon.
    Sure there is plenty to learn about where it all came from but....in the end...if you dig it it's dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

curtisunit wrote: »
    Jazz is pretty subjective stuff.

You can say that again. I play sax, classical training, and have been listening to more jazz over past 5 years than ever before. Saw Joshua Redman in Paris over the summer, Wayne Shorted in Dublin before that. SWMBO came along but she's just not into it. She plays music too but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    My first ever gig that I paid into was to see Stan Getz in Olympia in early 1980s. It was a trio IIRC. I can't recall what the playing was like, but it didn't click with me then. I found 3-4 minute drum solos uninteresting and could not hear them in context.

For anyone who wants to start listening to jazz, I'd go to local library and use their CD collections and even read some jazz books. I recently borrowed Jaco Pastorius CD and enjoyed it. Wouldn't have speculatively spent 15 euro on a disc, so library is a cheap and easy way to listen to more. When you get discs as opposed to downloads, you can see group line-up, so you can search for specific players you might like too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Thad Jones does it for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg6u4j8dds

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus was the album that brought me into jazz. Also, some of Eric Dolphy's stuff, which was quite abrasive back in the 60's (still is) might actually appeal more to modern ears more than some of the more traditional jazz players.

Someone said Wayne Shorter. Definitely. Also anything by Miles before the 80s is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Stubility

I think for the first time in my life I got super excited as I pressed play on a new jazz album from a player I know. I had read the description of the album and what they were trying to do, I knew the format and the musicians and instruments involved.. and then I pressed play.. enjoy..

https://www.ecmrecords.com/catalogue/1486382368/cross-my-palm-with-silver-avishai-cohen-quartet

Advertisement