Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casefile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Today's one is excellent. Shergar. Such an intriguing sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Anyone care to so speculate why they pulled and reposted the Shergar Episode 3 weeks later? The Patreon post mentions an “error” without going into specifics. Just curious as nothing jumped out at me as wrong when I listened to it first time around.

Jim Root wrote: »
    Anyone care to so speculate why they pulled and reposted the Shergar Episode 3 weeks later? The Patreon post mentions an “error” without going into specifics. Just curious as nothing jumped out at me as wrong when I listened to it first time around.

here's where the 2-euro big-ballers step in and enlighten us - if they can break the fight club rule that is lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When talking about Derek Thomson in the Europa hotel and Downpatrick he more than once mentions the Gardai, it would of course have been the RUC rather than the Gardai involved in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Re: the Strip Search Scam, I'm 15 minutes in but what the absolute fukc is wrong with everyone in this story?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

beans wrote: »
    Re: the Strip Search Scam, I'm 15 minutes in but what the absolute fukc is wrong with everyone in this story?

It’s absolutely bonkers, the poor girl. What where the so called managers thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

pc7 wrote: »
    Teachers Pet guy has a new one called the Night Driver out, he’s a nice voice.

Hunting Warhead is one of the best of ever listened too, chasing a paedophile ring on the dark web. Hard listen but amazing work.

Thanks. I’ll try that. Teacher’s Pet is outstanding. Still one of my favourites.

Just been re-listening to some of my favourite earlier episodes, I think Daniel Morcombe and Port Arthur stand out episodes for me. Moors Murders also fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Just been re-listening to some of my favourite earlier episodes, I think Daniel Morcombe and Port Arthur stand out episodes for me. Moors Murders also fantastic.

Daniel Morcombe is one of the best in my opinion. I also like The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Nielsen, The Silk Road, and The Tylenol Murders. Does anyone remember the Tylenol copycat one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It’s absolutely bonkers, the poor girl. What where the so called managers thinking.

I was familiar with the story from having watched a movie called Compliance from a few years back, which is loosely based on the story -

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/compliance_2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

beans wrote: »

I stopped listening to it after 20min found it really disturbing. How fcuking thick were those. people, I find it so hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

LilacNails wrote: »
    I stopped listening to it after 20min found it really disturbing. How fcuking thick were those. people, I find it so hard to believe.

Different society I think. Low paid americans more worried about losing their jobs and with a minimal safety net. Who knows about the managers who willingly went along with it though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thought this weeks was very repetitive this week, kept saying the same things over and over, bit sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I know the general opinion is the show isn’t as consistently great as it used to be but I still very much enjoy it every week. However this week was the first episode I was genuinely disappointed by. It was pointless. Wife says husband left her and no one has seen him since. By the end there was no difference.

You could say that is the same for all missing persons cases but here there was nothing to hang a possible story on. No strong indication of foul play, no contradictory evidence, no mystery. If the wife killed him there’s no indication and if the police or drug dealers or wife’s lovers or a stranger killed him there is no indication. I was waiting for a revelation where there was some even vaguely convincing indication of what might have happened, but nothing at all. Coming towards the end I thought it might be a two parter because nothing had happened yet.

So a guy disappears under not suspicious at all circumstances and a bunch of people make guesses as to what might of happened if it had have been suspicious and there is no evidence support any of their guesses. That is not a mystery.

Thought this weeks was very repetitive this week, kept saying the same things over and over, bit sloppy.

Uninteresting stuff on the whole.

The only thing that I can take away from it is that when some unimportant "lower-class" person goes missing, maybe the full effort of the law doesn't go into finding out what happened.

Obviously very much sounds like it was the bike of a wife with some assistance from someone who was getting up on her at the time.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I know the general opinion is the show isn’t as consistently great as it used to be but I still very much enjoy it every week. However this week was the first episode I was genuinely disappointed by. It was pointless. Wife says husband left her and no one has seen him since. By the end there was no difference.

You could say that is the same for all missing persons cases but here there was nothing to hang a possible story on. No strong indication of foul play, no contradictory evidence, no mystery. If the wife killed him there’s no indication and if the police or drug dealers or wife’s lovers or a stranger killed him there is no indication. I was waiting for a revelation where there was some even vaguely convincing indication of what might have happened, but nothing at all. Coming towards the end I thought it might be a two parter because nothing had happened yet.

So a guy disappears under not suspicious at all circumstances and a bunch of people make guesses as to what might of happened if it had have been suspicious and there is no evidence support any of their guesses. That is not a mystery.

Fair analysis. My issue with the episode is that the guy himself wasn’t too endearing by the sounds of it so I wasn’t personally invested in caring about what happened to him.

As said he was very violent so the fact that the wife moved another guy in to the house after a few weeks tells me that she knew with certainty that he wasn't going to reappear at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

watched the surveillance footage on an nbc piece after seeing this. what the actual f !!! the manager woman shuld have got jail. this was no naive teenager ... she was a 51 year old woman who worked there for over 20 years. Mcdonalds didnt cover themeselves in glory either contesting the poor girls lawsuit and then appealing. I'm honestly surprised this wasn't more publicised .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I listened to the first 45 episodes or so and it's been brilliant for the most part.

I skipped ahead to the Shergar episode recently and I couldn't help but notice that the narrator was talking much much slower and sounded almost robotic. I couldn't get used to it at all. Did anyone else notice this when comparing the early episodes to more modern ones?

Maybe if I listen to the episodes in sequence the voice will change gradually and I won't notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I usually listen to them at about 1.5 speed - at normal speed he sounds unbearably sluggish to my ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Most podcast players will allow you speed up to x1.25 or x1.5 , very handy for the slower talkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Great early Christmas present from Casefile.
    Its the last episode of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Great early Christmas present from Casefile.
    Its the last episode of the year.

What a great surprise, can’t wait to listen to it.

poor enough year for Casefile on the whole, being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Arghus wrote: »
    I usually listen to them at about 1.5 speed - at normal speed he sounds unbearably sluggish to my ears!

I would say he's slowed down the speech due to how popular the podcast is across the world. Make it easier for people that don't speak English as their first language to understand him.

I've enjoyed Casefile's output this year, I must say. Some uninteresting episodes but some fantastically well done stuff as well. The Muswell Hill series was as good as anything Casefile has done in the past.

Casefile are back today after their break

hoping for an uplift this year.

Disappointing start for me, think Gen Why did it recently so I’m familiar with it but its very repetitive and I’ve actually turned it off after an hour. Might try again later. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Cindy James was, for me, a poor story well presented.

This week
    Don’t usually listen to kiddy ones but decided to cause it is about him being found. Wasn’t familiar with the story at all, mad stuff, very sad. :( wtf is wrong with people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is the new three parter worth listening to? Been burnt so bad by this pod lately... Really has nosedived in the content.

Advertisement