Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Transit conversion to camper MKII

Options

Comments

The inverter will need at least 3X the fridge's rated running load in surge capability to start the motor. Low frequency are much better at this than lightweight High frequency. Don't believe the hype HF inverters are shyte compared to LF. Cheaper to manufacture and ship that's what the propaganda is really about.
    Can't all be buying fancy ones like the one you have. :P

Ya can if ya pick up a used wan. I've no problem with €600 fridges when they're €150

I have sockets in the old van but were only wired to the 240 hookup.
    I have a mind for a switched system which goes to 240 when plugged in but switches over to the inverter when the power is unplugged.

There's a few ways to do this of varying complexity and expense.

A manual ChangeOver is probably the cheapest and easiest.

83DTC7H.jpg

Kraus and Naimer make the best changover cam switches and bargain used ones pop up on ebay all the time.

You can Double Up on sockets but this is a bit untidy.

534413.jpg

You can use a 2PDT or 3PDT relay but it's very cowboy and might cost ya an inverter if it goes wrong which is a reasonable possibility when running inductive loads like a fridge. My van is setup this way but my inverter is only a wee 300VA that mostly powers a toothbrush.

You can make an interlocking system with Relays and delay timers this is the best affordable automated way.

EkhgfxY.jpg

Remember don't put the battery charger on the changeOver!!!

There's two more methods as well come to think of it. If the inverter is big enough to power everything you will ever use then you can just make everything (except the battery charger) an inverter only outlet and size the mains charger to indirectly power everything through the inverter.

If yer going high end inverter-combi charger then the transfer is automatic and built in.

waINyaM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Back to work after a weekend sabbatical last week. Time away made me forget how rank this van was when I bought it.

I took out the headliner and the plastics on the A & B pillars to give them a clean.
    They're black with dirt and need a good scrub. As expected there was a load of filth behind the plastic on the B pillar too.
    I also have a reversing camera to fit, so I can do this before the liner goes back in.

IMG-20201205-145616.jpg

IMG-20201205-150742.jpg

I also took out the seatbelts. The drivers one needs a good ironing since it's all twisted, and the passenger one looks bolloxed. it won't allow the belt to pull out now, only inwards and the roll is full.

Figured I'd start the interior behind the drivers seat. Since the seatbelt mechanism is out, I stuffed the B pillar with some recycled plastic to get some insulation. Stopped at the bottom opening, since I don't want to foul on the belt mechanism when it's backin.

I ran a 20mm2 cable for power to this opening from the back of the van inside flexi conduit. This kit came with glands so inside the panel there's a gland where the conduit is fixed and screwed through the hole that was drilled. Doing this now so I can install a panel on the wall now and have it insulated and donezo so to speak.

I'm sure Sir Liam will tell me that the cable is under rated, but at €18 a meter for 40mm2 I said I'd go with the smaller dimension. It's inside conduit so I can always replace it in the future easily if I need to.

IMG-20201205-155145.jpg

IMG-20201205-155150.jpg

Also, hat tip to Liam, I've bought 15m of that led light for something like €15 euro, and should be here before I'm ready to do anything with the lighting so that's a win.

I've asked about the shipping on the b2b charger before I low ball them. At this point I'll either buy this one or keep with the split charge that i already have and do a retro fit at a later time

I ran a 20mm2 cable for power to this opening from the back of the van inside flexi conduit. ...
    I'm sure Sir Liam will tell me that the cable is under rated

Nope. :confused:
    Yer putting the battery too far away from the alternator instead! :pac:

but at €18 a meter for 40mm2 I said I'd go with the smaller dimension.
    €10 €7.50 per m of 35mm²

I've asked about the shipping on the b2b charger before I low ball them.

Make offer €150 + shipping to ireland in comments.
    ;)

I'll buy that other wan so..let me kno if you want it in the Spring it'll be 25% extra...mate's rates :D;)

• Advertisement

Is that Pro-Nautic the same as the Sterling charger? I stuck a few bucks of a bid on it anway

I suspect it's better, I was going to buy it just to look inside...I'm a bit over 12v tho, really haven't much other use other than flipping it so I'll let her go fer ya. Sterling are using low build quality and cheap components in theirs. Sterling had a 2 year warranty, Promariner had a 5 year. Sterling painted the terminal cover red and went 5 year warranty a coupla years back.
    Drop yer final bid in the last 5 seconds, helps prevent bidding wars and people only bid to beat the bid, it's a much more profitable tactic.

They shared the blueprints. Promariner seem to spend the money on reliability whereas Sterling invest it in warranty and BS.

She's a good one. Well worth €140 even when yer done with it. No such thing as a third-hand product...:pac:

RE: the far away battery, if you're using a B2B anyway you can put the battery in the trailer on that cable.

Oh and it works as a PSU too so you can not have a battery and still power up to 20A of stuff with it.

Built a frame around the drivers side window today. It took an exceptionally long time to do - one of the more fiddlier jobs really. I imagine it'll make all the difference in the end. I mean honestly, it's almost as if I saw someone else to this before and copied it.

Since the timber I used is 2 x 1, I had to add additional strips to it to fill out the dimensions needed. Added to that, I made the genius move of not bringing my chisels or box of screws with me so I ended up bodging with whatever screws I could find to do the job

I added a self adhesive draught excluder to the bit sitting against the window.

IMG-20201206-151215.jpg

You can't see because of the darkness but the frame is only over the black sections of the glass so I can still get them tinted if I want to at a later stage

IMG-20201206-171255.jpg

There is a considerable amount of condensation built up on the roof, so it's dripping down whenever I move the van. Confuses the situation wit regards to leaks, though if it was leaking the floor would be soaked after a shower which doesn't happen. I might pick up a cheap de-humidifier and get it dried out, since it's only going to keep building up in the cold.

I also borked the passenger side seat belt. It wound back on itself too far when I took it out and wouldn't come out again. I thought I'd be smart and open it and have a look to see if I could fix it..

Yeah......

Lucky for me I have two spare in the old van.

• Advertisement

I suspect it's better, I was going to buy it just to look inside...I'm a bit over 12v tho, really haven't much other use other than flipping it so I'll let her go fer ya. Sterling are using low build quality and cheap components in theirs. Sterling had a 2 year warranty, Promariner had a 5 year. Sterling painted the terminal cover red and went 5 year warranty a coupla years back.
    Drop yer final bid in the last 5 seconds, helps prevent bidding wars and people only bid to beat the bid, it's a much more profitable tactic.

They shared the blueprints. Promariner seem to spend the money on reliability whereas Sterling invest it in warranty and BS.

She's a good one. Well worth €140 even when yer done with it. No such thing as a third-hand product...:pac:

RE: the far away battery, if you're using a B2B anyway you can put the battery in the trailer on that cable.

Missed out on it. Bid went in at around 8 seconds but was outbid.

I saw that...cheapest I've ever seen one go for all the same...mighta left too many breadcrumbs in the public domain...never know...

My browser crashed the last minute, they're onta us...any money in the budget for tin foil hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Built a frame around the drivers side window today. It took an exceptionally long time to do - one of the more fiddlier jobs really. I imagine it'll make all the difference in the end. I mean honestly, it's almost as if I saw someone else to this before and copied it.

Since the timber I used is 2 x 1, I had to add additional strips to it to fill out the dimensions needed. Added to that, I made the genius move of not bringing my chisels or box of screws with me so I ended up bodging with whatever screws I could find to do the job

You can't see because of the darkness but the frame is only over the black sections of the glass so I can still get them tinted if I want to at a later stage

IMG-20201206-171255.jpg

That frame looks familiar :D

CE3-A4-A39-91-BA-4-ABD-8-EF8-4-C6-FAB67-BAF5.jpg

Added some insulation to the panels. Its 100 mm insulation. Used spray glue at the top of the panels to hold the insulation up to prevent sagging over time.. and y'know...... gravity. I also waxoyled the bottom of the interior panels as I was at it, primarily since I had it left over and it couldn't hurt right?

IMG-20201212-151428.jpg

Have added vapour barrier over the insulation as it seems to be the done thing these days.

IMG-20201212-174702.jpg

Used a completely original idea of getting a router to smarten up the edges of the window frame so it would looks smart.

Finished product so far. I have to run conduit and stuff for wiring at the back and I don't necessarily want to fix the panels in as of yet. Still the electrical ins and outs to figure out.
    I may start with the bed and the toilet next, depends on my mood I guess.

IMG-20201213-135845.jpg

IMG-20201213-135848.jpg

Fitted the reversing camera today. Not because its a priority or anything, but since the roof liner is going back in this week it makes sense to hide the wiring loom while I'm at it. There's no power to it yet. I want to see if there a wire in the dash that can tell me if the van is in reverse to switch the camera on yet. I know it's at the gearbox, not sure if it makes it all the way into the dash

IMG-20201212-134709.jpg

IMG-20201213-135904.jpg

The cable is too short to reach into the back door. I initially thought I'd just cut and solder in some wire to extend it, but then I figured I couldn't be arsed with it since I can buy an extender for €7. No point in making needless work for myself.

IMG-20201212-134730.jpg

I started to look at the passenger seat today too. The old base I have is from a transit, but an older model one. Ideally I wanted the new base to fit in the same holes that the one from the existing base seat had since they're already threaded with bolts.

Sadly it didn't happen - the bolt holes don't match.

I got my thinking cap on to see what I could do and since the old bench seat is scrap, I cut the base off it with the plan to re-use it. There was already on lateral piece of steel in the frame and I just needed another one but didn't have one... Or did I? As luck would have it the seat is made of the same tubular steel that the base is, so I cut the seat open and took a bar from it. Needs some welding and painting and we're all good. I'll tackle this welding myself, since it doesn't require any sort of finessing or that. It's ok if it looks like vomit.

Base all cut down.
    IMG-20201213-155802.jpg

New piece in situ
    IMG-20201213-155809.jpg

Mock fit of the base sitting on top. It will need a piece cutting out of it so it doesn't obscure the bolt holes but it looks as though it'll be a straight forward enough build

IMG-20201213-155825.jpg

Question:

If I have this split charge relay in the first instance, will this charger when plugged in also charge the starter battery if the voltage from the charger rises above 13.3 volts, or is it purely a one way operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure that one doesn’t do that.

Ya misst the German B2B didn'tcha!? tsk tsk! €100! 60A! :rolleyes:

Ah yersh that's bidirectional...and fairly shyte. It'll work as you say with your charger but if the vehicle is regen it'll cause you heartache and it's a bottleneck device made of bubblegum.

Smartbank + a relay/contactor is a much more wholesome alternative. They're about £22 +P&P from over the pond outtov NHS ambulances

PS that charger is a 3 battery output pilgrim.

• Advertisement

I did. They wanted €40 to ship and payment via bank transfer only. Add that to the fact that they had 0 feedback (or maybe 1) put me off. Seemed a bit too dodge with no protection.

On the plus side, AddressPal emailed me to say they've got the charger so that's on its way.

Tried my hand at welding this evening. Figured it's not panel steel so I couldn't cock it up too much

Once I got into it and used proper welding gloves it was a lot easier to get a decent bead going

IMG-20201215-213538.jpg

Though I knew it wouldn't be long before I ballsed something up. I planned to leave the bar I was welding in back far enough so as not to obscure the bolt hole. Naturally I was covering it slightly. So I cut the bar, hammered it down a bit and welded it back up. Jobs a Good'un

IMG-20201215-204542.jpg

Also welded the fixing point in for the seat belt to bolt into.

IMG-20201215-213554.jpg

Lick of paint now before install

I did. They wanted €40 to ship and payment via bank transfer only. Add that to the fact that they had 0 feedback (or maybe 1) put me off. Seemed a bit too dodge with no protection.

That seems perfectly normal to me. Ze Germans are uncompromising about insuring their parcels. +€20 for that and not worth arguing about.
    £323 box for <€150 you'll be hard pushed find better.
    Speaking of dodgey...I'll sell ya my 120A for €150+P agus P...:pac:

Re: the feedback. Person is selling off oddities this close to Xmas for quick cash, not entirely suspicious. Besides I usually find the Germans only sell pristine condition gear.

I've bought €2.5k inverters from zero feedback sellers for £550. That's running my house right now.

Sir Liam put me on to a b2b charger that I managed to pick up for a steal on ebay. Actually, credit where it's due he also managed to find me a 20A Battery bank charger for a song too.

I bought it this morning after talking to the seller & had the delivery address as parcel motel. Very efficient seller shipped it earlier today, and I got notified. Estimated delivery the 26th of December to Parcel Motel address.

Around 3 hours later, I get an email from ParcelMotel advising that they will no longer accept deliveries to ParcelMotel in NI from the 28th of December

So.... depending on how things go, this box may or may not get to parcel motel in time and they (say) they'll refuse to accept deliveries from the 28th.
    Poor form from ParcelMotel - Parcel wizard contacted me in November to say they were closing their drop shipping location.

The wait is on!

Stole it is right! Jaysus, not many bigger ones. Maybe I'll put a punt on thuther wan...hrmm...

Er...well fingers crossed but I've been waiting 3 weeks for some stuff to make it to the Uk addresspal depot (still operating post brexit) in my closing down sale trolley dash.

If they return it to the seller request addresspal or use parcelforce or someat and you might get hit for import duty which won't be much.

Nice negotiating, I thought it was ending Monday.

The lead he chewed through with a blunt badger is the ground and comes fused from factory (because they underwire it and use the chassis ground to supplement it).

Let me know what guage it is and I'll recommend a fuse. The stock blade fuses melt the holders, Mega fuses are much better. The input and output need 80A fuses too.

The rest is in the manual. Don't be lazy, wire the sense leads too they're important.
    If the fan bearing is any way questionable or it doesn't spin when you power it up then replace it.

Well wear.

Oddly, the docs say nothing about a fuse on the ground, only on both sides of the 12v. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just one of those guys who reads the manual...

Thankfully fixing that bodge is easy enough.

And you say people don't listen to you........

That's because it's a factory bodge fly lead. The fuse is fitted at the factory because the ground is way undersized and if the chassis ground from the engine battery is lifted it'll ignite without it.

I really don't know why they do it. If they're that tight over a few grams of copper then why bother..give us a stud so we can do it right. They're an odd bunch, the hardware does work but it's not worth the asking price by a long shot...the build quality isn't great.
    Not that they'll ever admit it. I've tried explaining it to them. They want to be like Victron...that cracks me up...I told them aim higher.

Here's the pic of mine.

And you say people don't listen to you........

I think; Ask, Listen, Then do what they were going to do in the first place anyway is more normal.

That's why I only do live-aboards or bigger, they've already bought into the marketing, realised it was hollow and are prepared to pay for solutions that actually meet specification.

I finished the passenger seat earlier in the week, but since it was dark I didn't bother with any photos at the time.

IMG-20201219-140352.jpg

Notice that the seat belt is fixed to the bottom of the bracket. As it would happen there are mounting points on the swivel bases for seatbelts and they're the same thread as the existing ones, so I've moved the mount to there. Its a pity I didn't see that earlier in fairness, as I wouldn't have bothered welding the bracket to the base that I did earlier.

IMG-20201219-140403.jpg

• Advertisement

I also noticed that the B2B charger that I bought has a temperature sensor for the device, so I suddenly had a need for additional cables where I had run the cable previously. Since I had flexi conduit and glands left over I ran another length of it with two runs of two core cable inside.

IMG-20201219-152958.jpg

I cut a hole in the bottom of the B pillar so I could properly feed the cables through and out at the bottom of the pillar via glands.

IMG-20201219-153003.jpg

IMG-20201219-153019.jpg

Patched up & painted

IMG-20201219-161000.jpg

Finished product. Note the seatbelt at the top where it's fixed to the seat base. It's the same on the passenger side too.

IMG-20201219-170836.jpg

Advertisement