Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELGATO HD60S SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• 12-10-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi! Any helpful advice appreciated. There is an elgato HD60s game capture card on Santas list but we have just realized that our 1 year old laptop doesn't fit systems requirements to run it. We have an Acer Inspire with Intel Celeron CPU N3060 @ 1.60 GHz but Elgato device requires a minimum of 4th Generation quad core Intel i5. Everything else seems ok with the laptop (Ram, graphics card etc). So what do we do? Is it expensive to updrade the CPU? Considering the lap top is only a year old I dont want to have to spend a fortune. But at the same time....Im sure santa wants to see happy faces on Christmas morning....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shnakey

"Many Pentium, Celeron, or i3 processors do not meet the minimum specifications. Check the benchmarks of your processor to see how they compare to 2nd generation i5 or i7 processors."

That's what it says on the Elgato website in regards to Celeron processors. The device would definitely record footage but it would stutter and freeze regularly.

The best bet would be to look at a capture device which doesn't use the PC for recording. There is one going on Amazon at the moment called an AGPTEK 284. It records straight onto a memory stick and would eliminate the need for the PC's processing power. I've used one myself and in my opinion it records footage which is nearly on par with the Elgato. I say 'on par' because it doesn't record at 60fps but will do 1080p 30fps and the colours can sometimes be a little more 'washed out'.

There's a discount on it at Amazon at the moment which knocks it down to around 52 euro. Just search "agptek game capture hd" and it should be the white model.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hi! Any helpful advice appreciated. There is an elgato HD60s game capture card on Santas list but we have just realized that our 1 year old laptop doesn't fit systems requirements to run it. We have an Acer Inspire with Intel Celeron CPU N3060 @ 1.60 GHz but Elgato device requires a minimum of 4th Generation quad core Intel i5. Everything else seems ok with the laptop (Ram, graphics card etc). So what do we do? Is it expensive to updrade the CPU? Considering the lap top is only a year old I dont want to have to spend a fortune. But at the same time....Im sure santa wants to see happy faces on Christmas morning....

It does not work because I'm sorry but that's an atrociously bad CPU. Don't expect to ever do gaming with a CPU like that. We're in 2017, not 1998. I know it's expensive to get gaming desktops/laptops or have a computer with decent specs for gaming but that's the thing, gaming is expensive. You should not expect to get everything overnight either, a good gaming setup takes quite a long time to achieve unless you're filthy rich.

The minimum specs I'd recommend for any computer used for gaming is an Intel Core i5 45W quad-core CPU though preferably an i7 these days, 8GB RAM and a GTX 1050 GPU.

It is awkward and strange to change the specs of a laptop.... like if you're going to have a laptop for gaming, then you are not looking for upgrades. If you do so, then go for a desktop instead. I'd always go for a desktop over a laptop for gaming. For normal day things, sure go for the laptop but gaming, nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

That Celeron CPU is soldered, which means it's impossible to replace with an i5 or i7. And it would be incompatible with the laptop's chipset anyways.

Advertisement