Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Lanshane wrote:
    Same here. Thing is I am waiting for a 64 gig SD card to come in the post. I just didn't think the drone would arrive so promptly. I have a 2gb lying around, could I plug that in just to get it flying and replace it with the proper one when it arrives? Plus the firmware update, where exactly is that being installed does anybody know?

It would work with a 2GB card,the update is installed onto the drone itself via the micro SD. It's all done through the app.

As its only 2GB, set the camera settings to 1080 30FPS to give you about 5 minutes of footage.

You could do that inside, just connect to the drone, open the app and update the firmware. Then you'll be ready to fly tomorrow, weather permitting..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

tedpan wrote: »
    It would work with a 2GB card,the update is installed onto the drone itself via the micro SD. It's all done through the app.

As its only 2GB, set the camera settings to 1080 30FPS to give you about 5 minutes of footage.

You could do that inside, just connect to the drone, open the app and update the firmware. Then you'll be ready to fly tomorrow, weather permitting..

Ah cheers tedpan, just wasn't sure of that. So when new SD card comes I can just plug it into gimbal and carry on flying? Looking forward to tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Lanshane wrote: »
    Same here. Thing is I am waiting for a 64 gig SD card to come in the post. I just didn't think the drone would arrive so promptly. I have a 2gb lying around, could I plug that in just to get it flying and replace it with the proper one when it arrives? Plus the firmware update, where exactly is that being installed does anybody know?

Same here. Just ordered the SD card recently, didn't expect the drone to show up so soon.

Charging it up now. Battery LED lights taking a fair while to turn off. Will update firmware tomorrow with an 8GB card lying around and take it for a quick spin.

Same here. Just ordered the SD card recently, didn't expect the drone to show up so soon.

Charging it up now. Battery LED lights taking a fair while to turn off. Will update firmware tomorrow with an 8GB card lying around and take it for a quick spin.

Yes they'll turn off eventually... good luck with it.

Lanshane wrote:
    Ah cheers tedpan, just wasn't sure of that. So when new SD card comes I can just plug it into gimbal and carry on flying? Looking forward to tomorrow!!

That's it! Let me know if you have any questions tomorrow

• Advertisement

Lanshane wrote:

Ordered November 5th, arrived today. So two weeks. No customs either.

Will have some fun later

Any flying yet lads?

Just back in after a successful first flight. I'm well impressed with this machine. Not much video with the crappy card I've in for the moment but it's so impressive. Back in charging now. Kids hounding for a go now! Hopefully not too long to wait for spare battery. This is my first drone so excuse the excitement. Easy to fly and manoeuvre even for a first timer. Just take your time.

Lanshane wrote:
    Just back in after a successful first flight. I'm well impressed with this machine. Not much video with the crappy card I've in for the moment but it's so impressive. Back in charging now. Kids hounding for a go now! Hopefully not too long to wait for spare battery. This is my first drone so excuse the excitement. Easy to fly and manoeuvre even for a first timer. Just take your time.

Brilliant. Glad you had fun! I was really impressed with the quality, ease of use and specs. Hence the thread!

Enjoy!

Fyi, downloading the footage through the app doesn't give the best quality footage. You need to take the micro SD card out of the camera and plug it into your laptop/pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ltec

Got an email saying Xiaomi drone £298 special email only from gearbest. I'm considering it but I have a few questions.
    In the description it says because it's a factory model it has no protective circle. What does that mean?
    Does it matter which warehouse or plug?
    If it breaks or something is faulty is it a nightmare getting parts or getting them fixed?
    And what else do I need? Just a SD card

• Advertisement

ltec wrote:
    Got an email saying Xiaomi drone £298 special email only. I'm considering it but I have a few questions. In the description it says because it's a factory model it has no protective circle. What does that mean? Does it matter which warehouse or plug? If it breaks or something is faulty is it a nightmare getting parts or getting them fixed? And what else do I need? Just a SD card

The protective circle are the blade protectors, the WiFi dongle is included instead. As I've said before, not really interested in using either.

Doesn't matter about warehouse. Replacement parts are available online, not sure about repairs though. Yeah, just micro SD, I recommend buying an additional battery, maybe some additional props.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Any flying yet lads?

Brought it out for a quick spin this morning. Compass calibration a bit finicky but fine. Lovely drone, easy to fly. Kept it below 10m in an open area.

It can be noisy so keep that in mind when flying, got a few looks from passers by.

Gimbal didn't initialise first time so a quick restart and it was fine. No tilting as others have reported.

Very happy with it. Looking forward to getting it out of Dublin to see what she can do.

Ordered a second battery and will probably buy one of those 10000mah charging blocks on gearbest also.

Brought it out for a quick spin this morning. Compass calibration a bit finicky but fine. Lovely drone, easy to fly. Kept it below 10m in an open area.

Nice one! Yeah, compass calibration only needs to be done once, so you've got that out the way!
    Gimbal didn't initialise first time so a quick restart and it was fine. No tilting as others have reported.

Strange, it happened to me the first time too. I think it gets hot with all the initial updates and messing around with the gimbal and calibration. I think I had it switched on for over an hour, that's probably what happened. Anyway hasn't happened since..
    Very happy with it. Looking forward to getting it out of Dublin to see what she can do.

Nice one, enjoy mate!

Can't wait to see some footage!

Just bought one. I'm now ****ting myself. Is the average delivery time 2 to 3 weeks.

ltec wrote:
    Just bought one. I'm now ****ting myself. Is the average delivery time 2 to 3 weeks.

Average is 2-4 weeks. Won't be long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

ltec wrote: »
    Got an email saying Xiaomi drone £298 special email only from gearbest. I'm considering it but I have a few questions.
    In the description it says because it's a factory model it has no protective circle. What does that mean?
    If it breaks or something is faulty is it a nightmare getting parts or getting them fixed?

Price still the same on Gearbest. Any further info on when this price might be live? Or is there a discount code?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

what sort of range are you getting on these? I barely get 1km away before losing video and having to RTH

beanian wrote:
    what sort of range are you getting on these? I barely get 1km away before losing video and having to RTH

Are you in sight of the drone? I got 2kms down the beach and all was fine. Are there buildings or large obstacles?

ltec wrote: »

Price still the same on Gearbest. Any further info on when this price might be live? Or is there a discount code?
    When I go to gearbest and select US plug it shows £298 and says it's ending in 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

I flew mine for a short while, was easy to control. I didn't do any compass calibration though, whats that?

• Advertisement

I flew mine for a short while, was easy to control. I didn't do any compass calibration though, whats that?

Nice one! The app will tell you if it needs to be done. Just watch a few videos on YouTube and you'll be sorted..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dagny27

Will have some fun later :)

Did the tracking work for you? I ordered on the 3 November, no sign of it and the tracking site says that it's still processing. A bit worried about this...

Dagny27 wrote:
    Did the tracking work for you? I ordered on the 3 November, no sign of it and the tracking site says that it's still processing. A bit worried about this...

No need to be worried, this is normal as previously mentioned. The tracking is very poor into a day or two before it arrives. The 3rd of November means it hasn't even been two weeks yet, it can take up to six. Hopefully it will arrive in the next week or so.

Forgot to ask Dagny, was it ordered through Gearbest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Tracking is finally working for me.... phew.

So I ordered from TomTop on 8th November, UPS tracking says it will be delivered (from Netherlands) by end of day tomorrow 21st. So 13 days from order to delivery.

Forgot to ask Dagny, was it ordered through Gearbest?

Thanks for this, yes, it was ordered from Gearbest on Friday, 3 November so just over two weeks ago now. I must have misread previous posts as thought people were saying that tracking didn't work for the first week. Fingers crossed it arrives soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ArthurG wrote: »
    Tracking is finally working for me.... phew.

So I ordered from TomTop on 8th November, UPS tracking says it will be delivered (from Netherlands) by end of day tomorrow 21st. So 13 days from order to delivery.

Arrived safely today - no additional charges. Packaging is a pain, I can't really open it to take a nosey, so will just have to wrap it and wait for Christmas!

Will have some fun later :)

Can I also ask you, when you got the email with the tracking number, did it display your full address? The original email I got from them has the full address but the second email with the tracking number only has company name and then Dublin (I'm getting it sent to work), no street or anything. Did this happen to others as well or should I be concerned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

any sign of this coming down in price for black friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

any sign of this coming down in price for black friday?

Banggood.com have a good offer on this, around €300,

Link from the phone:

https://m.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Drone-WIFI-FPV-With-4K-30fps-1080P-Camera-3-Axis-Gimbal-RC-Quadcopter-p-1057057.html?rmmds=collection&utmid=2515

Might be worth checking out, don’t know about customs though.

Advertisement