Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Pro £229 - Amazon.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Now that a few people have them, hopefully nobody will mind if I ask again ;) :

Does the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (as currently on sale in Amazon here) have FM radio?

If somebody who has the Pro version (not the 9S, I know that has) could have a look, I'd be very grateful !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

route66 wrote: »
    Now that a few people have them, hopefully nobody will mind if I ask again ;) :

Does the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (as currently on sale in Amazon here) have FM radio?

If somebody who has the Pro version (not the 9S, I know that has) could have a look, I'd be very grateful !

Yes, just had a look on mine and it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭wassie

Amazon currently doing the 6GB/128Gb in grey for £203.90 - from Xiaomi Smartphone Store. Note this seller only - Back in stock 25/07, Delivery on 01/08 if ordered today (20/07).

Reading about wifi issues - Looks like temporary fix is to disconnect & reconnect every 10 mins, but a permanent fix is in the making with MIUI 12 update, although that website Ive linked is an Indian website so not sure how it relates to this version.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Yes, just had a look on mine and it does.

Thanks!

I saw the Amazon purchase link you posted from a page back and that's the exact model I'm considering. Have you actually tried the FM radio out? I'm guessing it needs the headphones plugged in for it to work?

This phone looks like it ticks all my boxes:
    • Very good battery life
    • Decent performance
    • Decent Camera
    • NFC
    • FM radio
    • IR
    • Fast fingerprint reader
    If I was being picky, I might knock it down a point for not having some degree of water resistance ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

route66 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I saw the Amazon purchase link you posted from a page back and that's the exact model I'm considering. Have you actually tried the FM radio out? I'm guessing it needs the headphones plugged in for it to work?

This phone looks like it ticks all my boxes:
    • Very good battery life
    • Decent performance
    • Decent Camera
    • NFC
    • FM radio
    • IR
    • Fast fingerprint reader
    If I was being picky, I might knock it down a point for not having some degree of water resistance ...

I tried the FM radio today after you asked, yes you do need headphones in. Great phone at a great price, also I have experienced no WiFi issues.

• Advertisement

Davexirl wrote: »
    I tried the FM radio today after you asked, yes you do need headphones in. Great phone at a great price, also I have experienced no WiFi issues.

Thanks Again!

Order placed yesterday for the Grey 128/6GB model. It was priced at £202 at the time, the price this morning is £228.43 !!! I opted for a 1 week trial of Amazon Prime for 99p to get the faster delivery "free" instead of paying £6.

Now, I just have to wait ...

Are you aware that you can buy this for £200.88 from the Xiaomi Smartphone Store on Amazon?

If your not familiar with Amazon, if you look under the main price, you will see a link for "New & Used from..." which will show all sellers and prices. Amazon is a platform for sellers, one of which is Amazon itself. You can cancel this order if it hasn't already shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wassie wrote: »
    Are you aware that you can buy this for £200.88 from the Xiaomi Smartphone Store on Amazon?

You would need an adapter for the fast charger as it would have EU plug, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

I checked that before purchasing on Amazon and its definitely UK version so it comes with UK plug - Thanks for the heads up though.

wassie wrote: »

If your not familiar with Amazon, if you look under the main price, you will see a link for "New & Used from..." which will show all sellers and prices. Amazon is a platform for sellers, one of which is Amazon itself. You can cancel this order if it hasn't already shipped.

Thanks Wassie,

That's who I bought my phone from. As I mentioned, the price varied a bit over the day - I paid £202 and it's £220.88 from Xiaomi Smartphone Store today. That's dynamic pricing for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The 7a is only £49 + pm/pw/ap, unlocked
    https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/xiaomi/redmi-7a

Is the 9 worth four times the price?

Decide for yourself: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Xiaomi-Redmi-7A-vs-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-9-Pro

For me:
    1 Year newer
    6GB/128GB vs 2GB/16GB
    Faster CPU/GPU
    Fingerprint sensor
    Android 11 vs Android 10
    Higher spec cameras front & back
    Wifi ac
    Bluetooth 5 vs 4
    4K recording
    Gorilla Glass
    USB Type C
    Amazon Warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

zell12 wrote: »

Odd comparison.

7a is fine for a kids first phone, or if you don't need decent photos. Otherwise the 9 is certainly worth the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I really looked at the 9 Pro & the 9. I ended up buying the 8 & I have no regrets. Yes there are differences but not ones that I would notice in everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

This looks like great value for somebody who doesn't need all the specs,but does it have band 20 and is it unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

On the sound issue ,it was very low and even on wireless head phones was low. I changed the region to USA and now it's working correctly.

Thanks Trump!

I got mine on Friday - £202 from Amazon here

The price does vary here a lot. I understand it went as low as £200 last week and it's now £230.

The Xiaomi replaced a Samsung S8 that I'd had for 3 years. So far, I'm really liking:
    • The battery life from the 5020 mAh battery
    • FM radio (Am I the only one who uses these ?)
    • NFC (Had it on my S8, but it's not standard on all phones)
    • Built in IR (It works, currently playing with alternative apps)
    • Tons of storage and RAM
    • Decent speed - Specs say faster than my S8 - link (Details as per identical 9S model).
    • Super fast fingerprint sensor that doubles up as power button
    • Build Quality
    • Supplied phone cover (I also have a few on order)
    • 2 SIMM slots (I'm only using 1) and a Micro SD card (I have a 256 GB installed)
    • Configuration that allows double click on power button to toggle led light on/off
    • Configuration that allows one-handed mode to be selected with horizontal swipe from home button
    • Configuration that allows double click on empty space on home screen to lock phone (& switch off screen). This is a feature of the Xiaomi Poco Launcher.
    • More of an Android 10 comment - I had some old Android apps that I manually installed from an apk that I initially couldn't get to work. In the default configuration, a long press on the menu key brings up the menu (Newer apps have the "hamburger" / "3 dots" menu on the top RHS) so all good now.
    • Supplied charger is a 33W fast charging UK/Irish 3 pin - format device. It's like the Samsung equivalent with a folding 3rd pin.

Not liking:
    • Not quite as polished as Samsung's offerings (but close - just some minor wrinkles in operation that I would hope to be sorted with updates)
    • MiUI has no app drawer. I installed Xiaomi's Poco Launcher and that works ok.
    • I went out hiking and lost my data connection at one point. That's no problem, but data didn't come back when I came back into coverage. I had to toggle flight mode to get it back. I haven't noticed a problem since.
    • My S8 has somehow shrunk massively in the last few days and is now tiny. I previously thought it was too big :confused: Or maybe the Xiaomi is a bit big and heavy :confused:

On the sound issue ,it was very low and even on wireless head phones was low. I changed the region to USA and now it's working correctly.

Thanks Trump!

Would that cause any other issues? Default time format, auto daylight saving switchover, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Xiaomi Redmi has an app drawer in production now. I searched the APK for it and was able to install.

Xiaomi Redmi has an app drawer in production now. I searched the APK for it and was able to install.

I saw that, but would be very slow to install apks unless I was able to 100% verify the source - i.e. if it was from a Xiaomi website in this case. This is because some APKs carry unwanted "payloads". The poco launcher is ok and I also understand that MIUI 12 will have this feature but I might have to wait for a month or 2 before that is made officially available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

I got this phone for my dad but I picked up the Google pixel 3a since.

The phone hasn't been open and is even still in the Amazon box if anyone would like to buy it.

I paid £200 for it. I'll send it back to Amazon otherwise.

I'm in Cork city

I did the same. Happy with the Pixel 3a.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Del007 wrote: »
    I got this phone for my dad but I picked up the Google pixel 3a since.

The phone hasn't been open and is even still in the Amazon box if anyone would like to buy it.

I paid £200 for it. I'll send it back to Amazon otherwise.

I'm in Cork city

What colour and capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

Del007 wrote: »

Good price you got it at, I got same colour in 64GB for £189 returned yesterday unopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Has anyone else had issues with their speaker when on a call. About two days ago anytime I'm on a call they can hear me but I can't hear them unless they're on loud speaker or have head phones in.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Anybody have dust in the camera between the lens and the outside glass?

Seems to be a known issue with these phones. Getting mine repaired by Xiaomi...bit of a pain having to send back the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

cuculainn wrote: »
    Anybody have dust in the camera between the lens and the outside glass?

Seems to be a known issue with these phones. Getting mine repaired by Xiaomi...bit of a pain having to send back the phone

Further update for anyone interested. Xiaomi have not contacted me since with how to return.
    Now there is really bad ghosting on the phone, so getting a refund from Amazon. Battery life and performance have degraded also in the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Redmi note 9 3/64gb €139 in todays Amazon sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

cuculainn wrote: »
    Further update for anyone interested. Xiaomi have not contacted me since with how to return.
    Now there is really bad ghosting on the phone, so getting a refund from Amazon. Battery life and performance have degraded also in the last few weeks

Haven't have any noticeable problems in the last while with the exception of the battery draining faster than it should. Don't have ghosting with this one yet but I had a note 5 that was really bad. I find with the Xiaomi phones they're great for the first while but performance drops quite fast and just turns slow beyond usable after 1.5-2 years.

Advertisement