Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I fully understand his point and he is right it is a double standard. Having said that the experience of using a vpn to then access the very poor viewer is such a crap experience IMO it won't be undercutting any monetised options. Great if you want to do it a couple times but nobody is cancelling their subscription to a physical paper over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

I’ve noticed that a lot of Irish newspapers have disappeared since I re-signed into my library account. Same for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

tonkpills wrote: »
    I’ve noticed that a lot of Irish newspapers have disappeared since I re-signed into my library account. Same for anyone else?

Same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

For sure slim pickings indeed now. Was getting used to reading the local paper where I'm from but it disappeared along with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

If you log out, download a VPN and activate, then sign back into your library or use press reader, papers should re appear,

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

august12 wrote: »
    If you log out, download a VPN and activate, then sign back into your library or use press reader, papers should re appear,

Tried that, all I could do now is download the Irish times which I couldn’t do before. The local people, independent newspapers are still missing :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Just used the above link to get free access to the premium content on the Irish Independent-thanks, op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Just used the above link to get free access to the premium content on the Irish Independent-thanks, op.

It's only a 7 day trial unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

tonkpills wrote: »
    Tried that, all I could do now is download the Irish times which I couldn’t do before. The local people, independent newspapers are still missing :-(

I think a number of local newspapers have closed down in recent weeks. Maybe check the newspaper is still up and running?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

branners69 wrote: »
    I think a number of local newspapers have closed down in recent weeks. Maybe check the newspaper is still up and running?

Could be - times are tough.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with a decline in sales and advertising revenue? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Went into the library yesterday, connected to their Wi-Fi, downloaded the Indo and Sindo no problem, clicked the "auto download new issues" button while I was there and today's version of the Indo was sitting there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

interesting...

podge018 wrote: »
    interesting...

Yes it is, got today's Indo as well for anybody interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Went into the library yesterday, connected to their Wi-Fi, downloaded the Indo and Sindo no problem, clicked the "auto download new issues" button while I was there and today's version of the Indo was sitting there this morning

This is how you have to do it now but it's only for 5 days. Once the 5 days are up you've to go back and login through the library WiFi again.

This is how you have to do it now but it's only for 5 days. Once the 5 days are up you've to go back and login through the library WiFi again.

That's actually not too bad, I could easily pop by to the library once every 5 days just on the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

That's actually not too bad, I could easily pop by to the library once every 5 days just on the chance

does the the hotspot for the library work too do you know?

Edit: tried on the Pearse st library wifi but still no indo for me

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

@CTP, what local authority / region was that library in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can anyone confirm if Bloomberg businessweek is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Yes. Bloomberg Businessweek is available on the Irish section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just did a test and it appears available and lets me download it (Cork City Library). There are a few options (Europe, Asia, North America), I just tested with Europe.

Out of interest, I also checked what Irish papers are left now. There are only 3:
    Irish Daily Mirror, Irish Sunday Mirror and Sligo Weekender.

anyone else manage to get the indo on the library wifi?

So how exactly does this work? Is the info in the OP still valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭alanbk

So how exactly does this work? Is the info in the OP still valid?

Nope. Info In earlier posts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dulpit wrote: »
    Just did a test and it appears available and lets me download it (Cork City Library). There are a few options (Europe, Asia, North America), I just tested with Europe.

Out of interest, I also checked what Irish papers are left now. There are only 3:
    Irish Daily Mirror, Irish Sunday Mirror and Sligo Weekender.

Using Hola as above, I got access to IT / Independent / Examiner etc also.
    The didn't appear in the list of min-page display icons but were from the menu

alanbk wrote: »
    Nope. Info In earlier posts

How far back do I have to go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

sweetie wrote: »
    anyone else manage to get the indo on the library wifi?

Yes, parked outside Cabinteely library, logged into their wifi using my (valid) library details, Indo & Examiner appeared and downloaded, still downloading 4 days later. Waiting to verify if it stops after 5. At my first try at Stillorgan library, the wifi login page said my details had expired and needed to be renewed. After emailing Stillorgan library, they renewed it immediately and it worked next time. I hadn't used my card in person in a couple of years.

I didn't try the "hotspot" thing.

p15574 wrote: »
    Yes, parked outside Cabinteely library, logged into their wifi using my (valid) library details, Indo & Examiner appeared and downloaded, still downloading 4 days later. Waiting to verify if it stops after 5. At my first try at Stillorgan library, the wifi login page said my details had expired and needed to be renewed. After emailing Stillorgan library, they renewed it immediately and it worked next time. I hadn't used my card in person in a couple of years.

I didn't try the "hotspot" thing.

thanks for that. I must try it again so. I did the exact same thing using my valid card.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

sweetie wrote: »
    thanks for that. I must try it again so. I did the exact same thing using my valid card.

What part failed? Were you unable to logon to the wifi, or did you get onto the wifi but the Indo didn't appear in PressReader? If the latter, maybe kill PressReader before trying. When I was using a VPN, the Irish Times wouldn't appear unless I restarted PressReader after starting the VPN.

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »
    What part failed? Were you unable to logon to the wifi, or did you get onto the wifi but the Indo didn't appear in PressReader? If the latter, maybe kill PressReader before trying. When I was using a VPN, the Irish Times wouldn't appear unless I restarted PressReader after starting the VPN.

it worked today, dunno why not before, thanks.

Advertisement