Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-07-2020, 06:21   #16
GingerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLips View Post
Gated communities are kind of pointless unless you're in a city centre apartment. However, what really ticks me off are housing estates that, while not gated, have a perimeter wall or fence with restricted entry points onto main roads. I can never understand why local residents and local authorities permit walls and fences around main roads because it usually results in car-focused access routes that require long detours for walkers and it also creates dead frontage onto the those roads.
It's seen as safer for kids if they can't easily run onto the road due to multiple access points. It depends on the estate but for us we're definitely happy to have it in our estate.
Advertisement
28-07-2020, 07:05   #17
Calahonda52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLips View Post
Gated communities are kind of pointless unless you're in a city centre apartment. However, what really ticks me off are housing estates that, while not gated, have a perimeter wall or fence with restricted entry points onto main roads. I can never understand why local residents and local authorities permit walls and fences around main roads because it usually results in car-focused access routes that require long detours for walkers and it also creates dead frontage onto the those roads.
Two reasons for this design.
1: no rat runs for cars.
2: single entry exit point makes it a bit trickier, in theory, for drive by shootings, muggings and break-ins and other cultural activities.
Think about the way the motor way network has opened up the country for crime.
You can steal farm equipment/cars/ whatever in Waterford at 2am and be across the border before anyone even knows about it.
(2) thanks from:
28-07-2020, 07:44   #18
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned the costs of gate maintenance and what it adds to management fees. Very substantial costs involved. Not an issue if you're renting but definitely if buying.
Gate maintenance certainly adds to management fees, but for a lot of people who buy in gated developments, the added sense of security and seclusion are some of the attractions so the gate fees are accepted.
28-07-2020, 07:57   #19
smurfjed

Presently living in a large gated community, originally built for 15,000 people and measures 2x1 KM, 8 swimming pools, supermarket, petrol station, baseball diamond, multiple tennis courts and volleyball/basketball, gym, 7 restaurants. Totally avoids the outside world rat race, beautifully quiet mornings listening only to the birds and if my dog gets out, he cant get too far.
Thanks from:
28-07-2020, 08:16   #20
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfjed View Post
Presently living in a large gated community, originally built for 15,000 people and measures 2x1 KM, 8 swimming pools, supermarket, petrol station, baseball diamond, multiple tennis courts and volleyball/basketball, gym, 7 restaurants. Totally avoids the outside world rat race, beautifully quiet mornings listening only to the birds and if my dog gets out, he cant get too far.
Sounds lovely but in Ireland the term just usually means a normal estate with a coded/RFID gate!

Locally the pizza boys end up knowing the code quite quickly on them all - years ago there was a list visible on the wall of one outlet. Fobs, cards or whitelist mobile numbers avoids this but a keypad is still very common
Advertisement
28-07-2020, 08:21   #21
pm1977x

Lived in one at the edge of Ballyfermot, scrotes just found different ways in and one memorable night a car was stolen from the underground car park and rammed through the gate, fun times.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion