Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2019, 11:01   #46
bri007

Totally lost trust in our solicitor now..... he emailed me someone else’s information about their house purchase, personal info!

I wonder is it to late to change solicitor now, just worried about cost involved!
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 12:08   #47
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri007 View Post
Totally lost trust in our solicitor now..... he emailed me someone else’s information about their house purchase, personal info!

I wonder is it to late to change solicitor now, just worried about cost involved!
I'd be negotiating that asap.
15-03-2019, 12:11   #48
Rew

Quote:

Thats a GDPR breach... which he is obliged notify the other person about.

You can change but it will likely cost you a fir bit and delay you. I had a solicitor tell me a house that we subsequently bought was "un-buyable". Cost me €400 for him to give me is bad advice and be rude over the phone.
15-03-2019, 14:05   #49
Tigerandahalf

Really the system should be better.
Any house put on the market should clearly state whether any management company, rights of way, freehold/leasehold exists. The obligation should be on the seller to make things clear.

There is also a mess with new build housing estates and confusion over who owns common areas and has responsibility to maintain them.
(3) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 15:55   #50
antiskeptic

Quote:

I wouldn't be getting my knickers in a twist. Your in the middle of a house buy. It's a stressful time.

The advice seems clear in thread:

- buying a freehold is something that is usually not an issue and takes place outside the conveyancing

- get your solicitor to outline in writing what's involved, are there significant risks, what are the expected costs. If things turn out much different, you can take your solicitor to task via the Law Society. He's says its straightforward and nothing to worry about. Get him to say that in writing.

- accept a mistake was made sending you some wrong docs. It happens.

Don't panic. Moving solicitor now will simply cost you money. And you have the possibility of getting a weak solicitor.
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 21:45   #51
annoyedgal

First house was leasehold. Solicitor mentioned it when going over the contract. Don't remember verbatim what he said but the jist was it was no issue and not expensive to resolve. Never did a thing and sold on years later and was no issue when selling.....that said had absolute faith in mysolocitor and if you don't I would think about changing.
15-03-2019, 22:53   #52
L1011

It only becomes an issue when the remaining years on the lease are relatively low. Plenty were 499 or 999 years to begin with so they'll not be an issue for you or any heirs you're likely to care about!
15-03-2019, 23:49   #53
holliehobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
You need to know who owns the leasehold..and how easy or expensive it'll be to buy out the lease...
(I had same issue when I bought my house, was a bit surprised to find it was lease hold, owned by the local authority, just as I completed the sale they got rid of all their leaseholds, only cost the solicitors fee..)
The local authority did not get rid of all their leases. There is a lot of ex local authority houses that have 150 year leases. They only started selling them freehold after May 1978.
15-03-2019, 23:52   #54
holliehobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Its normally bought out and converted to freehold as part of a sale, thats what we did
Also it's not normally bought out as part of a sale, nor does it have to be.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 00:04   #55
holliehobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbaby2003 View Post
We are in the process of buying out our leasehold. 3 bed semi D. Built late 1950’s 150 year lease. It has been zero hassle. I would not in anyway let it put you off buying.
I would hazard a guess yours is ex local authority then? Much simpler process as no other parties involved other than the council and yourselves. Op would have a much more complicated process.
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2019, 22:30   #56
bri007

Following on from my original post, our solicitor (clerk) said he does not need to be present when signing the loan offer that was posted out to the solicitor.

It requests his signature and states it has to be signed in his presence, little confused! I asked broker but he said it’s a conflict of interest to give me anymore advice and to revert to our solicitor but the solicitor said no!!
21-03-2019, 10:13   #57
starbaby2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliehobbie View Post
I would hazard a guess yours is ex local authority then? Much simpler process as no other parties involved other than the council and yourselves. Op would have a much more complicated process.
No it’s not. It’s a private estate in South County Dublin. The process is now complete. Easy and like the OP the leasor was across a few (four in our case) different owners due to deaths etc ..
21-03-2019, 10:17   #58
starbaby2003

OP ours has just closed. Seriously zero hassle. Sounds similar to yours. No solicitor involved. You can PM me if you want.
21-03-2019, 10:21   #59
spaceHopper

We bought out the lease hold on our house after we bought the house it cost about 1100 euros I think. If I was you I'd ask the solicitor for an estimate to buy it out and get on with buying it then buy out the lease hold after.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion