Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2019, 14:34   #61
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyler View Post
Apologies as I might have missed something but you can pay property taxes and household charge through the Revenue website with whatever method you like. As long as you have the property number and it's PIN you can do that any time you like.

As far as messing around with PPR, 100% agree. Don't go messing with that. World of hurt.
I meant "works" as in "legally solves the problem", not "can actually make the payment". Can see the potential for confusion though.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 14:55   #62
JimmyMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Takes a few minutes to reconnect electricity, if I remember right the last time I saw it done, it involved ESB networks guy putting a new fuse in meter board and taking a reading. ESB want a form filled out by electrical contractor to confirm electrics are sound, took my electrician about an hour to check everything and fill form. I don’t know if that could be considered significant.
Yes but you are assuming the wiring in the property is ok, what if vandals had made bits of the board or pulled wires out of the ceiling, or rodents have eaten some wiring etc, it could be a big job and given that one house given as an example is vacant since 2000 there is a high likely hood the wiring would not be ok.
13-03-2019, 15:12   #63
handlemaster

Quote:
The vast majority of people on this forum would agree with that principle. However if you are arguing for 700% fines on original charges for all legally obliged payments I'd suspect you start to get a little push back.
I dont really care , if you think I should pay and someone else thinks they dont have to the pain should be given. I think this is a good way, there were alot of the people at the time saying that the would not pay. The law was spelled out at the time what would happen.
Thanks from:
13-03-2019, 16:51   #64
Coyler

Send a message via MSN to Coyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
I dont really care , if you think I should pay and someone else thinks they dont have to the pain should be given. I think this is a good way, there were alot of the people at the time saying that the would not pay. The law was spelled out at the time what would happen.
And if that were the case I'd agree with you. However I can think of several scenarios of how a self-declared charged could be easily missed by plenty of people. Also, the claim that it was spelled out does fall flat because as I remember it it was referred to as the "Second Home Tax" or "Holiday Home Tax".

It's fairly obvious from this thread and several other areas online many people thought it didn't apply to them or just didn't know about it. I'm sure some of those are spinning a tale and it's entirely up to you to assess how many but do you honestly believe they are all lying? And if they are lying then they know about the charge so why bother coming here for advice? Surely they know the answer by now?

Anyway, I'm a complete sucker for a sob story so happy to help someone out.
Thanks from:
13-03-2019, 18:19   #65
murphaph

I have a house rented out under HAP. It's kind of ironic that the same council sets very different standards as to what constitutes "habitable" when it suits them. Ah well, you get used to the hypocrisy at some stage.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 21:15   #66
Drifter50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
Wait until either you sell, the council issue proceedings, or 2025.
Thanks for your helpful and constructive comment. I did`nt realise this existed at all, thought I would have to live with my stupid mistake
13-03-2019, 22:03   #67
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMW View Post
Yes but you are assuming the wiring in the property is ok, what if vandals had made bits of the board or pulled wires out of the ceiling, or rodents have eaten some wiring etc, it could be a big job and given that one house given as an example is vacant since 2000 there is a high likely hood the wiring would not be ok.
Are you on the right thread?
13-03-2019, 22:23   #68
elperello

It's a long shot but there is one other way out of paying NPPR.
The "Granny Flat" exemption.
It was introduced as cover to exempt farmers with a second house on their property.
Any residential property within 2km of your principal residence is exempt.
14-03-2019, 00:09   #69
AmberGold

I was seriously affected by the recession, lost my job, negative equity, forbearance mortgages the lot. I still managed to hang onto two RIP’s which I question the benefit of to this day and also paid the NPPR every year.

How can the fines and penalties expire in 2025, seems unfair?
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 09:14   #70
JimmyMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Are you on the right thread?
Absolutely I am, read the previous posts I responded to, thanks
14-03-2019, 11:40   #71
Coyler

Send a message via MSN to Coyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGold View Post
I was seriously affected by the recession, lost my job, negative equity, forbearance mortgages the lot. I still managed to hang onto two RIP’s which I question the benefit of to this day and also paid the NPPR every year.

How can the fines and penalties expire in 2025, seems unfair?
Again, as a principle, I really don't think many disagree with you but it's the details that make the difference. Putting aside the issue of making people aware of the charge for the moment, the 700% penalty is without comparison. Revenue doesn't even come close to that level and they go to far greater levels to ensure you are aware of what your responsibilities. In fact, you can be years late with your property tax or household charge and Revenue won't usually even penalise you.

I commend you on you keeping your personal finances in order, I really do. But it's entirely plausible many people didn't realise it applied to them. Even now with all the exemptions and interpretations it literally changes from CC to CC for who it actually applies to. Confusion has plagued this charge from the beginning to this day which is an unavoidable fact.

As for the expiry, can you imagine trying to prove you don't owe this charge in 2040? 2050? The commission were working on GDPR in 2012. You think this set off a few alarm bells? This wasn't put in for you or I, this was put in because they realised it was poorly implemented and wasn't sustainable.

Worse, I'd argue the expiry makes the whole thing even more unfair. Why should it expire? Why should those who have to sell even when faced with a charge of €7,230 be hit and those who can afford to wait it out or had no plan to sell not? Seems to completely favour those with deep pockets in my eyes or am I being unfair?

Last edited by Coyler; 14-03-2019 at 11:43.
14-03-2019, 11:53   #72
handlemaster

Quote:
And if that were the case I'd agree with you. However I can think of several scenarios of how a self-declared charged could be easily missed by plenty of people. Also, the claim that it was spelled out does fall flat because as I remember it it was referred to as the "Second Home Tax" or "Holiday Home Tax".

It's fairly obvious from this thread and several other areas online many people thought it didn't apply to them or just didn't know about it. I'm sure some of those are spinning a tale and it's entirely up to you to assess how many but do you honestly believe they are all lying? And if they are lying then they know about the charge so why bother coming here for advice? Surely they know the answer by now?

Anyway, I'm a complete sucker for a sob story so happy to help someone out.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Cough up like the rest of us.
14-03-2019, 12:11   #73
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Cough up like the rest of us.
You don't have to be a victim of the NPPR to empathise with people who were caught out.
Some owners assumed that because the house was the only one they owned in Ireland that it didn't apply to them. Others took it to only apply to "holiday homes".
Most taxpayers on PAYE are unfamiliar with the workings of Revenue.
14-03-2019, 12:42   #74
Rew

It was very well publicised at the time you would have to have been deluding yourself or living under a rock to have missed it. Whats frustrating about it now is the people it didn't apply to having to jump through hoops years later to get an exemption certs.
14-03-2019, 12:44   #75
L1011

There are people still posting to this day about not being aware of how you pay for the M50; despite a decade of advertising and huge signs beside the road. So its really not that implausible for there to be people completely unaware of the NPPR.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion