Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 08:55   #586
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
Not dubious at all... there is a law, is is being actively disobeyed. People are taking money by breaking the law. Those who obey the law are at a dissadvantage.
...
I haven’t read the whole thread, but the law you state “is”, is that the law which is scheduled to come into effect in June?
Dav010 is offline  
Advertisement
07-03-2019, 08:58   #587
Bluefoam
Registered User
 
Bluefoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
I haven’t read the whole thread, but the law you state “is”, is that the law which is scheduled to come into effect in June?
Planning laws do exist... Hotels need the appropriate planning permission to operate as hotels.
Bluefoam is offline  
07-03-2019, 09:13   #588
Maryanne84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
I haven’t read the whole thread, but the law you state “is”, is that the law which is scheduled to come into effect in June?
Current planning laws which say a building, built as a private residence cannot be used as a business unless an applicant for change of use is submitted and approved.
Maryanne84 is offline  
07-03-2019, 09:34   #589
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
Current planning laws which say a building, built as a private residence cannot be used as a business unless an applicant for change of use is submitted and approved.
Sorry, isn’t that just in certain county council areas, not necessarily in all high demand areas? I thought the legislation relating to state wide planning requirements will not be enacted until June.
Dav010 is offline  
07-03-2019, 09:56   #590
Maryanne84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Sorry, isn’t that just in certain county council areas, not necessarily in all high demand areas? I thought the legislation relating to state wide planning requirements will not be enacted until June.
New rules come into effect stipulating the length of time whole properties can be let via AirBnB in high demand areas, similar to those in place in other countries worldwide.

Planning rules are already in place re private dwellings. These are being flouted by private dwellings being used as an income earner illegally. A building built as a private home should be used as such. A quick look on AirBnB for Dublin shows in excess of 300 whole properties available for a group of 4.
Maryanne84 is offline  
Advertisement
07-03-2019, 10:03   #591
Riar_
Banned
 
Riar_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
Not dubious at all... there is a law, is is being actively disobeyed. People are taking money by breaking the law. Those who obey the law are at a dissadvantage.

It's like saying that speed limits at schools are highly dubious & if Riar decides to do 120kmph through a 30k zone & kills a child... well that was his descision to make and the law shouldn't be enforced because he saw it as dubious...
Yes the law should be enforced but it is a bad law and should be liberalised. By the way the Airbnb regulations go away behind making airbnbs comply with existing planning regulations.
Riar_ is offline  
07-03-2019, 10:06   #592
Bluefoam
Registered User
 
Bluefoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riar_ View Post
Yes the law should be enforced but it is a bad law and should be liberalised. By the way the Airbnb regulations go away behind making airbnbs comply with existing planning regulations.
And so they should. I support the new regulations.
Bluefoam is offline  
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 08:38   #593
bleary
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
And so they should. I support the new regulations.
They will need to be enforced actively and that's where I think there will be issues. The follow through. It's difficult in most countries. In Ireland where we struggle with regulation even more so.
I've already noticed more airbnb properties coming up for sale or longer term rent. I'm not sure if the numbers are down overall
bleary is offline  
15-03-2019, 13:44   #594
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
They will need to be enforced actively and that's where I think there will be issues. The follow through. It's difficult in most countries. In Ireland where we struggle with regulation even more so.
I've already noticed more airbnb properties coming up for sale or longer term rent. I'm not sure if the numbers are down overall
Breaching the rules won’t be a mere planning violation, it will be a criminal offence. The only people violating it will be ones with rocks in their heads.
Cryptopagan is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 13:50   #595
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
Breaching the rules won’t be a mere planning violation, it will be a criminal offence. The only people violating it will be ones with rocks in their heads.
You should read the newspaper article posted earlier in thread, an interview with DCC employee in charge. He said not only do they not have the necessary staff nor budget to enforce it, they have to work in pairs and physically catch the guest in the property, info taken from internet will not suffice. Rocks indeed.
Dav010 is offline  
15-03-2019, 13:50   #596
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
You should read the article posted earlier in thread by DCC employee in charge. He said not only do they not have the necessary staff nor budget to enforce it, they have to work in pairs and physically catch the guest in the property, info taken from internet will not suffice. Rocks indeed.
And what about the data Revenue get from Airbnb? That should be sufficient evidence.
Cryptopagan is offline  
15-03-2019, 14:43   #597
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
And what about the data Revenue get from Airbnb? That should be sufficient evidence.
Nope, that does not prove the guest stayed, only that they paid.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1012709/


https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-seeks-400-000-to-set-up-taskforce-to-crack-down-on-airbnbs-1.3708469%3fmode=amp

Last edited by Dav010; 15-03-2019 at 14:46.
Dav010 is offline  
15-03-2019, 14:54   #598
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
That says nothing about evidence from Revenue. Clearly if you received payment to rent out the property then the property was available for short term letting. If the state has (a) evidence from Airbnb that the whole property was listed for rent, and that you agreed to rent it out to so and so on such and such a date, and (b) evidence from Revenue that you were paid for same, then that establishes beyond reasonable doubt that you are illegally using it as a short term let. I don’t care what someone from the council says about all the extra funding they absolutely have to have to enforce this.
Cryptopagan is offline  
15-03-2019, 14:57   #599
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Potential poor enforcement of a law does not give carte blanche to break it - or discuss breaking it either
L1011 is offline  
15-03-2019, 15:47   #600
antiskeptic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean2 View Post
If LL leaves the market it hurts everyone that doesn't already have a house, or needs to move due to work.
A landlord leaving the market (i.e not buying any houses and not letting any houses) affects no one. He's a person, not a house. No one can live in a landlord.


It's what happens the landlords house when he leaves the market that matters. It can become another rental, a private dwelling or a b&b or another airbnb.

Somebody is going to be affected. And moving it out of airbnb appears to be the best option for government policy
antiskeptic is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet