Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 13:41   #76
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
There are people still posting to this day about not being aware of how you pay for the M50; despite a decade of advertising and huge signs beside the road. So its really not that implausible for there to be people completely unaware of the NPPR.
Yep. I have property in Ireland and Germany. The German authorities know which of my properties are my PPR and which are rented etc. If you don't rent a second property out here then it will usually attract a "second home tax".

In Ireland we haven't even moved all property to the bloody land registry (the site I am actually talking about in Dublin is "registry of deeds". We have a big stack of paperwork tracing the path of ownership going back a hundred years or so. It should have been all registered decades ago.

It's night and day how the two systems operate.

I was actually paying the NPPR for residential property that was habitable and rented out, but it never crossed my (or my brother's) mind to pay the NPPR for a property without a toilet, kitchen, windows, running water or electricity.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 14:06   #77
garhjw

Could someone please explain where the 12 years comes in? Why in 2021 does is 2009 NPPR charge no longer payable/ owed and so on?
14-03-2019, 14:42   #78
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by garhjw View Post
Could someone please explain where the 12 years comes in? Why in 2021 does is 2009 NPPR charge no longer payable/ owed and so on?
Either the Statute of Limitations or something to do with debt recovery time limits, as far as I can remember. Searching is turning up nothing; but basically it'd be rather difficult to enforce after that - particularly as it was originally a charge collected by the local councils, not a Revenue collected tax. Revenue can go back basically forever for tax.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 15:35   #79
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
It was very well publicised at the time you would have to have been deluding yourself or living under a rock to have missed it. Whats frustrating about it now is the people it didn't apply to having to jump through hoops years later to get an exemption certs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
There are people still posting to this day about not being aware of how you pay for the M50; despite a decade of advertising and huge signs beside the road. So its really not that implausible for there to be people completely unaware of the NPPR.
So, you were working away in Los Angeles for the last 35 years. Never drew a penny from Irish State and never will. Eventually hoping to retire and spend US pension living in Ireland.

Only follows GAA news from Ireland and never sees an Irish paper or TV station except when home on vacation once a year.

Spent good US money employing local contractors to renovate the homestead.

Not me but a guy I know. Currently lying low and hoping it blows over.
14-03-2019, 16:54   #80
Coyler

Send a message via MSN to Coyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Cough up like the rest of us.
And I did but here's the rub. There are some who knew about the charge, didn't pay it and are now set to get away with not paying it as they wait it out. In fact they still be better off if they just pay for 2013. The enforcement mechanism actively encourages people not to pay the charge at all.

Don't know about you but I certainly feel I was made a fool of.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 19:15   #81
sunnysoutheast

I was actually idly wondering whether Revenue would be more "proactive" in going out to collect this charge before it becomes uncollectible after the 12 years or whatever. I'd guess not because it was originally a local authority charge.

It's not as if Revenue don't have a good handle on who owns what property now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion