Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2019, 13:05   #121
FJOS1980

You are miles from everything in that estate. To get on m50 in morning you'll be queued most of the way back up the ballycullen road. To pay circa half a million for a house here is insane
Advertisement
12-03-2019, 13:30   #122
DirkVoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJOS1980 View Post
You are miles from everything in that estate. To get on m50 in morning you'll be queued most of the way back up the ballycullen road. To pay circa half a million for a house here is insane
Welcome to Dublin. I cycled up here after work last night and I was disappointed to see a lot of the quieter back roads around Cruagh being used as a rat run. Transport in the area isn't ideal, but unless you are willing to pay a premium to be in Dundrum or Rathmines, you're going to be far from most things.

Not that much of a problem if you're willing to cycle or invest in a cargo bike for shopping.
13-03-2019, 13:49   #123
Dial Hard

Quote:
Yeah, the Ballycullen Road has gotten appreciably worse in the mornings over the past couple of months. Bus lane and driving lane back to the Hunterswood entrance by 8.15 every morning now and staying that way til almost 9am. Someone on this thread suggested a while back that White Pines residents would access the M50 via Scholarstown Road but I had my very serious doubts about whether that would be the case and it looks like I was right.

Living up that direction is becoming more and more miserable with the amount of traffic being generated. I've taken to avoiding the Ballycullen Road/M50 route altogether but the alternatives aren't a whole lot better, tbh. Took me 14 minutes to get from Hunterswood to the lights at the Old Mill this morning.
13-03-2019, 13:54   #124
steamsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial Hard View Post
Yeah, the Ballycullen Road has gotten appreciably worse in the mornings over the past couple of months. Bus lane and driving lane back to the Hunterswood entrance by 8.15 every morning now and staying that way til almost 9am. Someone on this thread suggested a while back that White Pines residents would access the M50 via Scholarstown Road but I had my very serious doubts about whether that would be the case and it looks like I was right.

Living up that direction is becoming more and more miserable with the amount of traffic being generated. I've taken to avoiding the Ballycullen Road/M50 route altogether but the alternatives aren't a whole lot better, tbh. Took me 14 minutes to get from Hunterswood to the lights at the Old Mill this morning.
I'm not commenting on the area in general here - just the traffic. But if you think the traffic is bad now, just wait until White Pines and Ballycullen Green are fully occupied.
13-03-2019, 13:56   #125
steamsey

Quote:
It's not really miles from everything at all - very close to parks, shopping centres, schools, creches etc etc. Location is actually great, problem is if you are reliant on a car to get around.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 14:00   #126
Dial Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamsey View Post
I'm not commenting on the area in general here - just the traffic. But if you think the traffic is bad now, just wait until White Pines and Ballycullen Green are fully occupied.
I know. That's my fear. When I moved in, Hunterswood was the last of the houses and the traffic was bad then. We've since had Stocking Well & Stocking Wood, Dalriada, Abbot's Grove, Dodderbrook, Ballycullen Green, and White Pines built, with more phases of the latter two still to come, and pretty much nothing in the way of traffic planning done, other than the widening of the hatched markings on Colmcille's Way about 10 years ago.

It's just absolutely mental. I know there's a housing crisis and Dublin desperately needs more housing stock built, but for the love of God can we please have some actual traffic planning and capacity checks done in tandem???
13-03-2019, 15:01   #127
DirkVoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial Hard View Post
I know. That's my fear. When I moved in, Hunterswood was the last of the houses and the traffic was bad then. We've since had Stocking Well & Stocking Wood, Dalriada, Abbot's Grove, Dodderbrook, Ballycullen Green, and White Pines built, with more phases of the latter two still to come, and pretty much nothing in the way of traffic planning done, other than the widening of the hatched markings on Colmcille's Way about 10 years ago.

It's just absolutely mental. I know there's a housing crisis and Dublin desperately needs more housing stock built, but for the love of God can we please have some actual traffic planning and capacity checks done in tandem???
Most of this can be solved by better public transport links (govt) and people accepting that driving to work in Dublin isn't really a sustainable option.
13-03-2019, 15:16   #128
Frisbee

Quote:
It's not really miles from everything at all - very close to parks, shopping centres, schools, creches etc etc. Location is actually great, problem is if you are reliant on a car to get around.
Agree with this. My parents have lived on Stocking lane for 20+ years and that's where I grew up. We moved into White Pines just before Christmas and haven't had any issues. Yes if you leave for work after 8 you are going to end up stuck in traffic, but that's true of pretty much anywhere in Dublin. Saying it's miles from anywhere is hyperbole, takes me 15/20 minutes to Stillorgan Industrial Estate in the morning leaving at 7.30.

They certainly do need to do some work on traffic management in the area (reducing the roundabout at Orlagh to one lane was a bizarre decision and has been a disaster so far) and you'd imagine they will once enough people start making noise.
Thanks from:
13-03-2019, 17:12   #129
FavouriteSlave

Quote:
I’m just off Scholarstown Road and we walk or cycle everywhere. The days I need the car I thank my stars we can do that, I’d hate to have no option but to drive everywhere.
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 21:01   #130
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkVoodoo View Post
Most of this can be solved by better public transport links (govt) and people accepting that driving to work in Dublin isn't really a sustainable option.
I used to stare slack-jawed at the cars going nowhere when coasting by on the bus into work in Dublin city centre from D15. The Phibsboro area especially would be chock-a-block. I know that some of those drivers were coming from far afield and had no choice but to drive. But I could not see the appeal of sitting in traffic like that if I had the choice not to. My husband worked near me in the city centre and tried driving in once when a parking space became freed up at his company. I expressed serious doubt that it would be as quick as the bus but he was adamant he wanted to give it a go. It lenghtened his commute by more than half an hour each way.
13-03-2019, 23:18   #131
DirkVoodoo

People can't have it all unless they are going to pay a lot of money. We are renting in dun Laoghaire and my 5km cycle takes me 15 mins in traffic. I drove to work recently and it took me double that. The houses around our apartment are going for 800k.

Granted some people need to drive, but most cars I pass are driver occupied only, and if you live within 15km of work, you can't really complain. Remember, you're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.
15-03-2019, 09:44   #132
Hybrasil

Since moving in we've heard a lot about traffic but thankfully have not experienced it yet. I generally cycle via Stocking Lane but when I've driven the same route at the same time there is just the normal amount of traffic you'd expect between 7.00-7.30, no tailbacks. I'd be well gone by 8.00-9.00 but I'd imagine traffic is crazy everywhere in Dublin then, particularly around schools (such as Colmcille's). Sitting into your car to go anywhere at that time is madness. Either go earlier or find a different way of getting there.

Simple thing is that no amount of "traffic planning" would cater for the amount of cars already on the road or even more cars, developments would stop dead all over Dublin if even 1 car from each house was modeled. Cities and cars do not work (look at any city Dublin's size or bigger internationally, same issues) simple as, unless you cycle, walk or use public transport expect to be stuck in traffic (infrastructure for cycling & public transport definitely needs to be improved!). Develop huge roadways and flyovers like LA and more and more cars will fill them, its just induced demand. The dream of sitting into your car at 8.45 and driving leisurely to work in 10 minutes will never happen if you live in a city...unless you live incredibly close to work!!
Thanks from:
16-03-2019, 12:35   #133
DirkVoodoo

Do all houses not have an external tap fitted?

It looks like a big enough job if it's coming from the mains to the island. Really weird design choice, as is the decision not to install an external socket.
20-03-2019, 08:18   #134
Hybrasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkVoodoo View Post
Do all houses not have an external tap fitted?

It looks like a big enough job if it's coming from the mains to the island. Really weird design choice, as is the decision not to install an external socket.
Yes, unfortunately - no tap to the rear of the house (But not sure if this is done in any new developments?) Going to get a water-butt installed for summer watering, that should hopefully suffice for watering plants etc., if not, it's probably a drought like last year and plants are in trouble anyway!
20-03-2019, 14:49   #135
dkiernan9

Have they mentioned anything about a shop recently? Still no planning application lodged.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion