Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

• 15-03-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭

Will they be another brief flash in the pan like the abandoned Occupy Movement or the start of something more serious?

Will politicians take any notice? I doubt it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Teachers telling us all how to live as usual.

Look at the gubernment mainly ex teachers and they're telling us what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Listened to some of the kids on rte news. Yes there opinions were a s vacuous and uninformed as one would expect from a bunch of clowns who came up with a new excuse for going mitching in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Protesting has turned into a vanity affair with people posting up videos on their Facebook and Instagram of them thinking they are great sticking it to the man, all for attention of course.

Protests everyday now about silly stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

should start by banning private cars from giving kids lifts to school

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Great to see young people standing up for their futures. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Whats funny here is you have a pack of students fighting climate change holding the city up for ransom with hundreds of cars left sitting idol, Thats worse... Slow clap...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Let them wait until they got to actually pay taxes in order to live. Including this carbon tax they want. Once that craic hits they'll be protesting the fact they did this protest.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I saw them interviewing students on the news. One in particular was hilarious. She said "Soon we'll all be yellow and brown and black. Is this the Ireland we want to grow up in?". I was wondering if these was protesting climate change or immigrants! Obviously, I knew it was slightly out of context (I think she was trying to say we should be going green), but you could have been mistaken the girl for a white supremacist if you weren't paying attention. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

20Cent wrote: »
    Great to see young people standing up for their futures. Fair play to them.

Now now. That doesnt suit the auld grumps here.

They'll have their fun and thats all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

f*ck the environment.

I'm going to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Protesting has turned into a vanity affair with people posting up videos on their Facebook and Instagram of them thinking they are great sticking it to the man, all for attention of course.

Protests everyday now about silly stuff,

So climate change is silly stuff!
    No wonder we are so behind on this.

if those kids were serious about saving the environment they would give up their smartphones, walk or cycle to school and start growing their own food. They could have planted their GAA pitch with spuds this afternoon instead of dossing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This summer, I will take a plane to visit Spain.

I might buy a t-shirt that was made in Bangladesh, while typing a message on my mobile phone.... which contains cobalt mined by a Congolese child.

Most people pay lip service to climate change. We just want cheap and convenient stuff. No questions asked.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    This summer, I will take a plane to visit Spain.

I might buy a t-shirt that was made in Bangladesh, while typing a message on my mobile phone.... which contains cobalt mined by a Congolese child.

Most people pay lip service to climate change. We just want cheap and convenient stuff. No questions asked.

This x 1000. and the sad thing is that boycotting these products probably would not make one objective difference to our lives but would end a lot of the exploitation in the world. Being an auld fart, i can see many potential improvements for us as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Protesting? Standing around making noise getting in people's way and looking for attention is that not just what most teenagers do anyway sure?

Giveaway wrote: »
    This x 1000. and the sad thing is that boycotting these products probably would not make one objective difference to our lives but would end a lot of the exploitation in the world. Being an auld fart, i can see many potential improvements for us as well

Sadly this is quite true, it's even worse when you think that most of the junk we buy is designed to fail far sooner than it would if engineered to last a realistic life time, for example LED lights are now being life-limited to only 10,000 hours and the packaging is written to make us believe that this is a long life. In reality, well designed LED lights are expected to last 25-30,000 hours. The greenest thing any teenager could ever do is learn about planned obsolescence and lobby politicians to outlaw it. this would reduce so called greenhouse gasses by about 30% alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Watched the coverage on the news and they seemed... Uninformed, to say the least. One person made some points that showed they'd actually researched climate change.

The rest just shouted about needing change and the gubbermint, without actually saying a single thing about what needs changing, what's wrong and how they feel it can be fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

All well and good but when those children grow up and have jobs to work and bills to pay the reality of adult life will set in and they will forget all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Watched the coverage on the news and they seemed... Uninformed, to say the least. One person made some points that showed they'd actually researched climate change.

The rest just shouted about needing change and the gubbermint, without actually saying a single thing about what needs changing, what's wrong and how they feel it can be fixed.

Time off school out arsing around with there mates was the reason majority of them were out there sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think you will find that the vast majority of teachers were in their schools teaching.

• Advertisement

They'd be better off doing something really protest productive for their futures by going down the docks and trashing harvesting profiles live steamin Facebuke HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

It is all brainwashing, teachers say whatever politically correct, Those kids should be told the facts as they are, they should be told that we can produce 100% renewable energy but it is so expensive, we can do that for you but you will not have a job as you will not be able to compete with the guy in china who is using dirty cheap energy. We can give you green energy but you forget about holidays, We can give you green energy but just let you know that it is a drop in the ocean as Ireland is very small country and the impact will be negligible, tell them that you will be competing with guys in Europe who can drive zero emission electric cars, those cars are zero emission because the electricity is produced in nuclear reactors. can you compete with that kids?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I saw them interviewing students on the news. One in particular was hilarious. She said "Soon we'll all be yellow and brown and black. Is this the Ireland we want to grow up in?". I was wondering if these was protesting climate change or immigrants! Obviously, I knew it was slightly out of context (I think she was trying to say we should be going green), but you could have been mistaken the girl for a white supremacist if you weren't paying attention. ;)

I had to do a double take with that one as well.

Radio presenters were lauding it all, ah shur isn't it great and my daughter/son out there as well.
    It'll be all the rage until the next viral video or internet challenge comes along. Our government doesnt take much notice of spotty teens or 3rd level students.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Blueshoe wrote: »
    All well and good but when those children grow up and have jobs to work and bills to pay the reality of adult life will set in and they will forget all about it

Probably not due the climate changes causing disasters all aroubd the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

ah lads I haven't been on boards in ages but when I heard about the protests the first thing I thought is the ould fellas on after hours must be having a field day. this thread has been everything I expected so far. I can see how it could be easy to get frustrated at ye but I actually find it hilarious. keep it up!

I'll help ye along:

Why don't they just get jobs! Then they'll know what real life is like! Sure ya can't achieve anything ever! They don't know the meaning of suffering! Snowflakes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What's wrong with an aul protest? You'd swear some people here were mortally wounded by the thoughts of youth protesting.

Yakult wrote: »
    What's wrong with an aul protest? You'd swear some people here were mortally wounded by the thoughts of youth protesting.

They're being told what to protest against. You could bet your arse if they wanted to go protest against the billions lost on that $hitshow hospital or the fact corporate entities like facebook or apple can do whatever the f**k they like here in our Republic, they'd be whacked back into the school gates quicker than you could say horse$hit.

Which is what this is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

ah lads I haven't been on boards in ages but when I heard about the protests the first thing I thought is the ould fellas on after hours must be having a field day. this thread has been everything I expected so far. I can see how it could be easy to get frustrated at ye but I actually find it hilarious. keep it up!

I'll help ye along:

Why don't they just get jobs! Then they'll know what real life is like! Sure ya can't achieve anything ever! They don't know the meaning of suffering! Snowflakes!

What do you want us to say? What do YOU think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Yakult wrote: »

Nothing at all. Fair play to anyone who protests for change. They kept it peaceful too, which is brilliant.

But it's very difficult to take a protest seriously when all news coverage shows is people who seemingly have no clue what they're protesting for.

I hope a couple of educated spokespeople come out on behalf of the the protesters actually, because I agree with protesting against climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If these young people want to make a difference they should be getting on to Countries like the USA, China, India, Russia, Poland etc. They are the real problems. They are putting way more poison into the atmosphere than our little Country ever will and that is the only way change will ever happen. We are just a drop in the ocean. They could however make a tiny difference by giving up their cigarettes if they smoke and stop drinking then maybe they might feel better otherwise they should go back to their school/collage and do some learning like good children.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement