Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Take that ya splendid people!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

montoya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Well science says religion is better

Well not really, the first paragraph for example is not clear at all. It described a correlation not a causation. That is to say religion is NOT being linked to a reduction in depression, but linked to "changes in white matter microstructure" which are themselves also associated with depression.

So this is a case where X independently influences both Y and Z and someone jumps the gun writing a report that Y is affecting Z.

That said though "better" is a subjective relative term here. It is suggesting that it is better to be deluded by lies and fantasy than be depressed? That might be "better" to you but given that choice I would take depression every time. I would rather be sad about reality than mindlessly happy about delusions.

The article only gets vaguer from there however. For example it says "found that belief in the importance of religion or spirituality was associated with thicker cortices in several brain regions". Two problems there. "Religion OR spirituality"? They are massively different things at times. So which is having the greater effect? Secondly.... belief in the importance of it is not belief in the claims of it. Two MASSIVELY different things. So what is actually being correlated with the reduction in depression here? Belief in a god? Belief in the claims of a religion specifically? Or believe that religion itself is important somehow, regardless of whether that person is actually religious or not?

So yea, in summary it is not clear what is ACTUALLY being claimed here, what is being offered beyond a mere correlation, and upon what basis we can be calling anything "better" in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That said though "better" is a subjective relative term here. It is suggesting that it is better to be deluded by lies and fantasy than be depressed? That might be "better" to you but given that choice I would take depression every time. I would rather be sad about reality than mindlessly happy about delusions.
    That's your depression talking, Nozz. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BTW I'd be a non believer of the leader guy myself so I meant the opening as a joke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

BTW I'd be a non believer of the leader guy myself so I meant the opening as a joke.
    It's not always clear on a screen whether an uncivil comment was meant as such. Same way that some people may not distinguish between a trash-news website and a satire website :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That's your depression talking, Nozz. ;)

Probably :) I call him Clive. Actually SciShow, in their usual way of acting like they are somehow reading my mind, just yesterday released a video entitled "Does Depression Make You More Realistic".

Turns out, like most things, the answer is pretty much "some, but nah not really".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Religion as a mechanism for avoiding depression, who've thunk it. Like some kind of opium for the masses or some such ... ;)

I dare say fear of death makes some people very anxious, as does fear of leading a miserable and meaningless life. Take the red pill and convince yourself you'll live forever and you're important in the grand scheme of things, take the blue pill and deal with these fears and the reality in which we actually live. Choices, choices.

smacl wrote: »
    Religion as a mechanism for avoiding depression, who've thunk it. Like some kind of opium for the masses or some such ... ;)

I dare say fear of death makes some people very anxious, as does fear of leading a miserable and meaningless life. Take the red pill and convince yourself you'll live forever and you're important in the grand scheme of things, take the blue pill and deal with these fears and the reality in which we actually live. Choices, choices.
    The more usual explanation is that being religious is associated with a higher degree of social participation and community support than being non-religious is, and the mental health benefits of this are well-attested. If you're non-religious you can access the same benefits by participating in an organisation or movement that, socially and in terms of service to the community, functions like a church - the ICA, for example.

The more usual explanation is that being religious is associated with a higher degree of social participation and community support than being non-religious is, and the mental health benefits of this are well-attested. If you're non-religious you can access the same benefits by participating in an organisation or movement that, socially and in terms of service to the community, functions like a church - the ICA, for example.

I don't doubt any of that P. and while I was being tongue in cheek above, given that your own point above holds true, it doesn't contradict mine either. One of the primary reasons that people attend church in the first instance, other than being forced to by parents, is the promise of a life immortal. That they enjoy greater social participation as a result is a real benefit.

Interestingly, if the benefit of religion as described in the study was largely down to social participation, that would make the spiritual belief itself no more than a confounding variable and leave the study as a load of bunk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're non-religious you can access the same benefits by participating in an organisation or movement that, socially and in terms of service to the community, functions like a church - the ICA, for example.

There's two reasons the ICA won't let me in :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

No problem. Just buy a good sensible tweed skirt and a headscarf, and work on the accent a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

There's two reasons the ICA won't let me in :p

You're no good at baking and...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

storker wrote: »
    You're no good at baking and...?

...there was a thing with a sheep. Fair enough he had a consent form with the right hoof print on it but the judge wasn't having any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

I thought this was already common knowledge?
    The most miserable gits I know are the ones that lead the most religious lifestyle and are forever worried about "sin" or some other nonsense..

10fathoms wrote: »
    I thought this was already common knowledge?
    The most miserable gits I know are the ones that leave the most religious lifestyle and are forever worried about "sin" or some other nonsense..

Leave or lead? Sin is a religious concept and not really of any concern to anyone other than religious types.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

smacl wrote: »
    Leave or lead? Sin is a religious concept and not really of any concern to anyone other than religious types.

Meant lead. Thanks. Edited now

Advertisement