Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latin dispensations

• 27-10-2016 1:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A good suggestion by KildareFan to put all Latin translations here (not of names but sentences on parish registers relating to dispensations, impediments, etc).

Here is one from the marriage of Alice Lacey/John Butler.

dispensatione ab impedimento disparitatis cultus a S. sede JB [the inititials of the celebrant]

A loose translation is dispensation from the impediment of disparity of cult by the Holy See [i.e. the Vatican] - see application for dispensation here http://ossory.ie/2010/10/application-for-dispensation-from-the-impediment-of-disparity-of-cult/

The disparity of cult marriage is between a baptised catholic and non baptised person - e.g. jewish.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Link to diocese is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Any idea what 'cordem loco' might mean on a marriage registration. His home address was given, hers was 'cordem loco'.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Can you post a link to the page? Loco means place, cordem means heart...

Here's a list of latin terms - not exhaustive [culled from various sources!]
    Latin term/ English Translation/ Abbr
    ætatis age at
    afinitatus related through an earlier marriage of the two families
    altera die on the next day
    anno aetatis suae died in the year of his age, e.g.., a.a.s. 24 aas
    anno domini in the year of the Lord
    anno incarnationis in the year (since/of) the incarnation of the Lord
    anno regni year of reign ar
    annus bissextus leap year
    ante meridiem before noon (a.m.) a.m.
    atque (variant of "ac") and, and also atq.
    banni, proclamentiones marriage banns
    baptisatus christened
    Baptisavi Michaeli, filium legitimum Patricus Daly et Ellena Mahony de Courtmacsherry. Sponsoribus Johannes Doyle, Marian Shea. I baptised Michael, legitimate son of Patrick Daly and Ellen Driscoll of Courtmacsherry. Godparents John Doyle and Mary Shea.
    biduum space of two days, two-day period
    circa about, approximately c
    civitas city civit
    cognomen surname
    comitis count c
    Confirmati confirmed Ch
    consanguinati blood related
    cras tomorrow
    decessit sine prole died without issue (children)[2] dsp
    decessit sine prole legitima died without legitimate issue (children)[2] dspl
    decessit sine prole mascula died without male issue (sons)[2] dspm
    decessit sine prole mascula legitima died without legitimate male issue (sons) dspml
    decessit sine prole mascula superstite died without surviving male issue (living sons)[2] dspms
    decessit sine prole superstite died without surviving issue (living children)[2] dsps
    decessit sine prole virilli died without male issue (sons)[2] dspv
    decessit vita matris died in the lifetime of the mother dvm
    decessit vita patris died in the lifetime of the father dvp
    Defuncti died +
    die sequenti on the following day
    die vero this very day
    disparati cultus disparity of cult
    Dispentatis ab impedimente Dispensation from impediment
    Dispentatis ab impedimente disparati cultus a S. Sede Dispensation from impediment of disparity of cult by Holy See
    dominica, dies dominuca, dominicus, dies Solis, feria prima Sunday
    ejusdem die of the same day
    eo tempore at this time
    eodem loco same place
    eodem anno in the same year
    eodem die on the same day
    eodem mense in the same month
    et cætera and also &c
    feria quarta, dies Mercurii Wednesday
    feria quinta, dies Jovis Thursday
    feria secunda, dies Lunae Monday
    feria septima, sabbatum, dies sabbatinus, dies Saturni Saturday
    feria sexta, dies Veneris Friday
    feria tertia, dies Martis Tuesday
    filia daughter
    filium/us son
    hodie today
    In matrimonium conjunxi sunt Cornelius Crowley et Honoria Hayes, de Garranes. Testimonium: Thaddeus Buckley, Brigidam Lorigan. Cornelius Crowley and Nora Hayes of Garranes were joined in matrimony. Witnesses Tim Buckley and Bridget Lorigan.
    in secundus grado first cousins
    in tertius grado second cousins
    legitimum legitimate
    longo tempore for a long time
    mane in the morning
    maritus, conjux husband
    Mater Mother
    Matrimonis Juncti joined in marriage J
    matrimonium, copulatio, copulati, conjuncti marriage
    meridie noon
    mortuus sine prole died without offspring (children)[3] msp
    natus birth
    natus or nata born[1] na
    nocte at night
    nomen firstname
    nudius tertius three days earlier
    nunc dies tertius three days earlier
    nunc temporis of the present time
    obiit died, followed by the date[4] ob
    obiit (or obit) sine prole died without issue (children)[4] osp or ob.s.p.
    parentes parents
    Pater Father
    perendie day after tomorrow
    pomerid after noon (p.m.) p.m.
    post meridiem after noon (p.m.) p.m.
    postridie on the day after, a day later
    pridie the day before
    Prima vice Communicates first communion P
    pro tempore for (at) the time
    quondam deceased, the late q.
    S Sede Holy See
    Sanctus Sede Holy See
    sine legitima prole died without legitimate issue (children)[5] slp
    sine mascula prole died without male issue (sons)[5] smp
    sine prole without issue (children)[5] sp
    sine prole legitima died without legitimate issue (children)[5] spl
    sine prole mascula died without male issue (sons)[5] spm
    sine prole superstite without surviving issue (children)[5] sps
    sponsores/sponsoribus godparents sp/ss
    susceptores sponsors (godparents) sp/ss
    testimonium witnesses
    triduum space of three days, three-day period
    tunc temporis of former time
    uxor, marita, conjux wife
    vespere in the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Possibly the best source for help on Latin is the Familysearch page here . It has details on sentence construction and a list of words/abbreviations at the end of the page.

• Advertisement

pjproby wrote: »
    Any idea what 'cordem loco' might mean on a marriage registration. His home address was given, hers was 'cordem loco'.

The word possibly is eadem not cordem. (Eadem = the same, Loco = place).

The word possibly is eadem not cordem. (Eadem = the same, Loco = place).

yes - eodem loco means same place. I've inserted the term in my list above.

KildareFan and pedroeibar1
    Apologies for not replying-I completely forgot that I asked for an explanation.
    Here is the link

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_East___Donnybrook/Fitzwilliam_Quay/1284986/

Here is the link

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0945340011476

Here is the link

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0945340011476

It is ‘eodem loco’ – meaning she also is from Harold’s Cross. (first entry on RHS.)
    Ricardus Bennett de Harold’s Cross filius Patricii et uxori ejus Anna, et Maria Fitzmaurice de eodem loco, filia Edwardii et uxori ejus Julia ; Testibus Patricio Doyle et Brigida Smyth
    Or
    Richard Bennett of Harold’s Cross son of Patrick and his wife Anna, and Maria Fitzmaurice of the same place, daughter of Edward and his wife Julia ; Witnesses Patrick Doyle and Brigid Smyth.

• Advertisement

pedroeibar1 -That's a mystery finally resolved. Thank you.

Is her name Fitzmaurice or Fitzsimmons?

Fitzsimmons - a duh! moment, I'd been reading about a Fitzmaurice and a Fitzgibbon earlier, Freudian slip.

Thanks again-that would have set off a whole new chain of events!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

On this baptism record on 17 June 1878, what is the comment in Latin (?) following the note on margin re Fogarty/William's marriage to Forde on Feb 24 1925.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever it is, the same thing is written a couple of lines up and also closer to the bottom of the page.
    It looks like 'vidi ne temere register'.

Was there a register kept of 'mixed' marriages?

Thanks, spurious.

I don't know of any register for mixed marriages.
    I believe both Fogarty & Forde were RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

spurious wrote: »
    Whatever it is, the same thing is written a couple of lines up and also closer to the bottom of the page.
    It looks like 'vidi ne temere register'.

Was there a register kept of 'mixed' marriages?

This would make sense, as Fogarty would generally suggest RC gene pool, while Ford is more associated with non RC.

C. Forde was baptised RC and all her family are showing as RC on the Censu. Her father was married in Catholic church but I haven't yet researched further back as the RC parish records are only available from 1840s.

Many thanks

just checked on what Ne Temere means - 'not rashly/blindly' - the first two words of what became known as the Ne Temere decree published in 1908 which regulated marriages between Roman Catholics and other religions. The non catholic party had to sign an agreement that the children of the marriage would be brought up Roman Catholic,

The word "vidi" means "I saw" so I would translate the note as 'I saw the Ne Temere register' which implies there is a list of people married under the Ne Temere regulations - maybe the priests kept a register to check up on them?

I am speculating that the priest checked the 1878 baptisms to ensure that the two parties to the marriage were baptised catholic...

• Advertisement

Ah, that might explain the comment. Many thks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We remember the Ne Temere decree nowadays because of its strictures against mixed marriages, but in fact it dealt with a number of topics, one of them being the undesirability of secret marriages or clandestine marriages and to avoid these it adopted a rule, or rather reinforced and extended an existing rule, to the effect that Catholics, to be validly married, must be married in canonical form in the presence of at least two witnesses. The decree also required the keeping of a register of marriages, and the entry in registers of baptism of the later marriage of a baptised person.

The words "ne temere" are actually the opening words of this section of the decree - lest people rashly marry in secret, we're adopting this rule requiring marriage to be public. Nothing to do with mixed marriages.

So I suspect the Ne Temere register was simply the register of marriages which the Ne Temere decree required each parish to keep. It's not a register of mixed marriages specifically; it's a register of all marriages celebrated in the parish. What this notation means is that the marriage of William Fogarty, noted in the Register of Baptism, is recorded in full in the Register of Marriages for the same Parish, indicating that William was married in the Parish in which he was baptised. Indicating that he probably married a local girl, since it was normal to marry in the bride's home parish.

Many thanks for further explanation.

William was baptised in Glanworth, however he married in Ballylanders in 1925 where his wife lived.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Question on Latin dispensations please:

Marriage from 1908 in Harrington St parish in Dublin on the usual proforma book. The people of interest are Michael Bradley/Mary Lawless.

The dispensations column has either "disp" or what looks like the number 3 in most cases.

Any thoughts on what this means?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

pinkypinky wrote: »

Marriage from 1908 in Harrington St parish in Dublin on the usual proforma book. The people of interest are Michael Bradley/Mary Lawless.

The dispensations column has either "disp" or what looks like the number 3 in most cases.

Maybe it's a dispensation because of of consanguinity (marriage between 2nd
    cousins). I don't know to be honest.

pinkypinky wrote: »

It’s a Latin shorthand /shortcuts. At the header of the column is the word denuntiationes (a). The full expression is ‘factis tribus denunciationibus’ meaning ‘three marriage banns having been published
    The ‘a’ reference is on the bottom of the page, Si dispensitum ferrit, notater et a quo., meaning ‘If a dispensation is made, note it, and by whom.’

Which suggests that, where "disp." appears, it means that the couple obtained a dispensation from the requirement to publish the banns.

The basic idea was that banns of marriage (announcements about forthcoming marriages) were read out in church on three successive weeks before the marriage was celebrated. The point was to prevent secret marriages, bigamy, etc; the community was put on notice that Jack and Mary were going to marry, and if anybody thought that, e.g., Jack was already married to Annie, they could raise an objection and the matter could be looked into.

You could avoid this by obtaining a marriage licence from the bishop - you satisfy the bishop with sworn declarations and supporting paperwork that you are both free to marry, and he issues a marriage licence, plus a dispensation from the requirement to publish the banns. You had to pay a fee for this. In time a class distinction arose - if you were but a humble proletarian you had your banns published; if you had pretensions to middle-class respectability you paid for a licence and dispensation.

Hence the entry in the marriage register showing whether banns were published or a dispensation was issued may give some clue as to the social status, or at least social pretensions, of the couples concerned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I was aware of the 3 readings but didn't make the connection here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I know this is an old thread, I'll move this if there is a more recent thread where I should post.

I'm looking for a translation from Latin for the following which appears as a note on the marriage of Stephen Lyden and Stephen Lyden and Mary Walsh in Clifden in 1897. The following has been transcribed in the Notes field on rootsireland. Anyone know what it means?

"FACULTATIBUS MIHI ARCHREPISCOPO CONCESSIS DISPENSANTUR IN BANNIS - DISPENSATION." by P.L.

Since this is a transcription (no image for this record) the spelling might not be right.

Stephen was a widower at the time of his marriage to Mary Walsh. He was previously married to Anne Keane in 1895 in Clifden. There's a similar note on that marriage on rootsireland

"VI FACULATUM MIHI ARCHREPISCOPO CONCESSARUM DISPENSANTUR IN BANNIS" - DISPENSATION.

• Advertisement

"Through faculties given to me by the Archbishop, they were dispensed from banns."

"By virtue of a faculty given to me by the Archbishop, they were dispensed from banns."

(And, for the honours students, "ARCHREPISCOPO" is misspelt in both transcriptions. It should be "ARCHIEPISCOPO".)

It means that not only did Stephen and Mary (and, previously, Stephen and Anne) get a dispensation from the usual obligation to have banns of marriage published, but they got the dispensation not from the Archbishop, but from the priest who married them, he having been authorised by the Archbishop to give dispensations on the Archbishop's behalf.

Advertisement