Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on the boards.ie daily forecast ( > 1,000,000 views )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Seconded. I don't post very often here, but i check the forecast every single day. Keep up the good work MT, it is definitely appreciated ;)
    darkman2 wrote: »
    I remember first asking MT whether he would be interested in commenting on boards.ie. At the time he said "no" basically. But I did say that this was a fantastic forum with very enthusiastic people on it and it did not take him long to change his mind because I think we are all so interested and excited by the weather. I think it is wonderful to have MT giving forecasts here. In fact he put alot of us out of work because he does it daily. So not much point in trying to compete with that. He has transformed the forum from that respect so now, often, if I or others post a thread it must be for something unusual (strong wind, snow, heat etc). But he is a fantastic forecaster and a very nice person aswell. Thanks for all your input and effort on here MT. It does not go unnoticed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MT does a fantastic job with the his weather forecasts, I find him far more accurate than most other organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Eventually it could turn rather cold again for a day or two, and the very long-range maps have that intriguing look of a developing cold spell although details are vague.

i like this part.. :D hopefully soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I think the advice is to play your golf or whatever on Saturday since you won't get as wet as you might on the following few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i rely on him for accurate forecasting. and he did not fail me yet, i am greatful to him, thanks MT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

I'm similar to many people here. I check MT's forecast every day but seldom have the time to post. Have recommended this forum to anyone I know interested in weather-related matters (with friendly banter thrown in for free).
    Many thanks to MT and all the other regular posters who keep the rest of us informed.

If only that octopus was still around, he'd be able to put his "finger" on the correct forecast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

As someone who lives in N.Y.C. and is interested in the weather and VERY interested in Irish weather......M.T. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

M T phone home

Hope he is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes very unusual for MT to miss a day without warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

He has the forecast posted on the IWO forum , think maybe he forgot or something

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wakes up...turns on IPhone.....goes to MTC's weather forecast BUT it's not there. It felt weird :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

here's Peter's (MT) forecast for today on IWO
    http://s15.zetaboards.com/Irish_Weather_Online/topic/7149500/

Edit: MT did say he would be doing less forecasting posts when things get quieter maybe this is the start

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Whoops, I just posted about this over on the thread, you guys more or less guessed right, I think ... actually I don't know what happened, maybe I pressed the wrong button, maybe the connection timed out after I left this site but I do remember copying the screen material before posting which is different from what I've usually done each day (copying the posted forecast after it shows up on my screen) so maybe I just spaced out and forgot to post it to boards after that ... sorry to those who wasted a minute or two hunting around for my forecast.

The connection to boards is sometimes a bit slow and can time out on the odd occasion so I actually do take a conscious step of ensuring that my forecast copy is on screen before checking out for other places. I think I skipped that step somehow at what is a fairly late hour here (1130 pm on average). But I don't sleep much nowadays, I tend to be awake most days well past midnight, this isn't something that I do last before turning out the lights. This is why you sometimes find me around all day through some major weather events (remember those?) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

see MT is forecasting 15c for next week

thatd be nice but i dont see it myself. It looks cool and windy to me.

Well it did hit 15 and then some, so I'm staying on.

Just noticed that the number of "hits" on the forecast thread is dangerously closing in on one million, hope that doesn't send the weather forum off into hyper-space. I estimate this event could happen around Wed-Thurs next week.

Seems like as good an opportunity as ever to say that I am so "at home" here on the Boards weather forum, that I could foresee continuing on with the daily forecasts for the next year or so, then make my assessment around summer 2013 as to how long I would wish to provide this much free effort vs gains to research, understanding and international good-will (not much left of that the way this weather is unfolding, but I don't claim to control it). :cool:

My philosophy continues to be very interactive with the forum as far as forecast ideas, especially in critical situations like the recent Cork flooding problems (for which we, and I mean we, received a nice thank you letter from emergency responders who said they felt very prepared for the event through what they had read here and on the parallel facebook portal that has more or less become the modern "IWO" (mark 1.0 version)). If that sounds a bit mysterious, not meant to be, as most here will know, an enterprise known as "Irish Weather Online" had a substantial website presence for a while, but eventually it morphed into a facebook centered gathering that I am told is about ten times as large as this weather forum on the average day, although how many non-weather "boardsies" lurk here during major weather events is unknown (quite a few judging by the steady influx of new blood).

Getting back to the "very interactive" philosophy, I make an effort to watch threads for ideas, discussions etc and factor in the thoughts of other experienced weather forum people although as always, the successes are shared and the failures are all on my account, that's the necessary evil of being the visible face of the hidden entity that is the Boards forecast group (team would be a bit too chummy a term for it). But I don't mind this state of affairs, in fact, if there were some easily arranged method for sharing the forecast load it would be good in all respects, but I assume that my time difference makes me the only logical suspect for posting daily 0630h forecasts especially "pro bono."

Thus I propose to soldier on, but in the short term, will be planning two weeks away from the research office and in the field chasing storms and scenery again (down around Utah), hoping that we can visit Ireland some time in 2013 (maybe for that cloud festival, sounds interesting).

This is actually the best part of my day in recent months, almost everywhere else my life in cyber-space has turned into a bit of a battle against long odds and professional scolds who don't value my opinion except in ways that it might pay their legal counsel. You can imagine that if a person as mild-mannered as MTC is under this sort of stress, the whole concept of free speech on the internet is coming under fire. How these scolds would react to the Irish standard of give and take rather amuses me to consider, as in Canada, the idea of witty banter is something like "you suck" followed by "no you suck more."

In fact, I have pretty much transferred my perceived citizenship from Canada to Ireland just on the basis of the banter on boards.ie alone, the economy be damned, I shall be poor in any country of my choosing. :pac:

And I still have no idea what the pac-man symbol means in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

As weird as it sounds you are part of my morning routine :D wake up, switch on I phone and wait for email with forecast.
    It's only this week in fact that I realized that because I had started reading the email instead of going onto Boards itself I had not thanked your posts in a while.
    So THANKS and keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Yep me too. Check MT's forecast, quick glance at the radar then jump out of bed, open the wardrove (that's how we say it in our house) and dress accordingly. Thanks MT for all your hard work !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

Another religious follower here, don't think I've missed a day yet. I would love to see how many thanks MT has collected over the 3 years since the forecast started (I might just write a script do this!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I enjoy reading your forecast. As with the other weather service it helps me to plan my day of work our leisure. Mt, you are seldom very wrong with your forecasts. It is not easy to predict the weather with 100% accuracy. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I was just thinking about the amount of views... to be so near the 1 million mark is absolutely incredible! some other threads on boards that are over the million are usually populated by hundreds and hundreds of boardsies, but MT has managed it mainly solo! (well everyone entitled to a holiday!)

So glad to hear we have you on board for another while MT! Enjoy the forecasts.

(P.S, it would be great to see you at the next Cloud Festival, if things work that way!)

I'll bring the cloud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Thanks MT & great to hear you are staying with us for another while
    Bit like one of your star players signing an extension on a contract

(the contract is in the post) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

THANKS MT,it was reading your forecasts that made me join bords so that i could get involved in the weather forum and have discussions with weather experts like your self and people like me that are interested in weather, keep up the good work the weather forum needs people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I regularly print out your forecasts and share it with my butcher, who is also a farmer and he needs to plan his farm work round his half days off. Every time I go in, it's 'what does mister Cranium say?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Congratulations to M.T.C upon reaching over 1MILLION views. Your efforts are very much appreciated in this community.

1000000_one_million_views_fireworks_turquoise.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Congratulations M.T. on passing 1,000,000 views!
    (& everyone to else who has helped on the daily forecast)

Your advice & predictions have been so helpful to many people & so accurate, most of us have probably forgotten there are other forecasts!

Just wanted to say a big Thank You & congratulations on the milestone you have achieved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I think this is a huge achievement for all involved tbh. Outside of a few of the high traffic forums, there wouldn't be many threads that would reach this sort of number of views. I think it's espcially cool because only a small number have provided all the content for the thread.

Thanks a Million MT, your efforts are really appreciated :)

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Well done MT, any chance the admin people could remove the 170 + pages of daily weather as they are now obsolete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

CONGRATULATIONS MT! Not only are you good at predicting the weather but you predicted that the thread would go over the million mark mid week!

Just to share a little giggle with you :D... when I initially started following your forecast thread I misread your name day one and went about for months calling you Mighty (MI T) Cranium and often remarked how fitting the name was.... lol imagine my shock when I realised you had registered yourself as Empty (MT) Cranium! Far from, Far from Mr Cranium Sir

Advertisement