Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry on Gedmatch

• 27-02-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

On my Gedmatch, the first 5 matches (and a lot more further down) have Ancestry kit numbers. But I can find only the fourth one on my Ancestry DNA results. Of course, the names or aliases used could be different, but surely I should be able to recognise them from the number of centiMorgans? How can the one person have a different number of centiMorgans on Ancestry and Gedmatch when Gedmatch is using my Ancestry testing results? Or, putting it differently, why is Gedmatch finding relatives and Ancestry not finding these people? I know not all Ancestry people will have uploaded to Gedmatch, but how does Gedmatch have these Ancestry files and Ancestry itself hasn't?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Does it definitely say they came from Ancestry?
    Gedmatch recently changed how they name kits (with the migration to Genesis).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Does it definitely say they came from Ancestry?
    Gedmatch recently changed how they name kits (with the migration to Genesis).

You may have something there. On Gedmatch you are told 'If you have uploaded from AncestryDNA, your kit # will begin with an “A”.' On Genesis the kits marked A have "Migration - F2 - A" as their source and the ones with Ancestry as their source have a range of different prefixes.

Yet on Genesis when I do a one-to-one comparison both I and my top match have a kit marked A and the source "Migration - F2 - A".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm finding the new Genesis stuff a bit confusing.
    Apart from one kit, they were all uploaded previously and migrated across.
    Some matches generated from lazarus kits don't match at all when I run one to one comparison.

I think send them an email.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tedheavenly

Earnest wrote: »
    On my Gedmatch, the first 5 matches (and a lot more further down) have Ancestry kit numbers. But I can find only the fourth one on my Ancestry DNA results. Of course, the names or aliases used could be different, but surely I should be able to recognise them from the number of centiMorgans? How can the one person have a different number of centiMorgans on Ancestry and Gedmatch when Gedmatch is using my Ancestry testing results? Or, putting it differently, why is Gedmatch finding relatives and Ancestry not finding these people? I know not all Ancestry people will have uploaded to Gedmatch, but how does Gedmatch have these Ancestry files and Ancestry itself hasn't?

Its also worth mentioning that people have the option of not appearing on their matches list of DNA matches at Ancestry, so the person you can locate at Gedmatch, but not at Ancestry could hypothetically have hidden themselves on ancestrys ddatabase. And to answer about the difference in centimorgans, Google ancestrys comprehensive white paper which explains their Timber algorithm which explains the different centimorgan count

Advertisement