Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cleaning question

• 21-05-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some tips on the best way to clean the crown of my rifles and also the threads. Especially after shooting with a moderator on, the crown gets very very dirty.

Right now, I use some Hoppes 9 and some elbows grease. Takes quite a lot of effort though. I'm tending to shy away from the harsher cleaning products like Brasso.

Anybody have any tips or tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

alanmc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some tips on the best way to clean the crown of my rifles and also the threads. Especially after shooting with a moderator on, the crown gets very very dirty.

Right now, I use some Hoppes 9 and some elbows grease. Takes quite a lot of effort though. I'm tending to shy away from the harsher cleaning products like Brasso.

Anybody have any tips or tricks?

What finish is on the barrel and on the threads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Chemicals wont be an issue if its stainless. I wouldn't use basso through unless you want to polish that carbon off :P

Steel wool and or Steel brushes*

*There are various grades of Steel wool and steel brushes come with different wire strengths.

1. With steel wool do not use the brillo pads for cleaning your pots and pans (although itll work very quickly). Use 00 or 0 dont use any steel wool that has a 1 or higher on it.

2. The small stainless brushes (not the welders type) like the plastic handled ones you find in gun cleaning kits or OTIS sell well do.

You'll get away with a lighter (brass) brush with some carbon removing chemicals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I never scrub the threads and especially the crown.

I use the appropriate chemical and let it do it's work. If your barrel is stainless then you can leave the crown/muzzle to soak without fear of damaging the finish of the barrel.

Get a small container, like egg cup small. Place enough chemical in the container to allow it to cover the corwn/muzzle/threads once they are submerged into the container. This requires you to place the container on the ground and place the rifle, barrel down, into the container. Leave it to sit for a little while.

After some time remove the rifle and use a nylon brush to agitate the carbon/fouling. Use cotton swabs to wipe away the excess and repeat if necessary.

Try avoid any scrubbing and let the chemical do it's work. I use KG1 and it cleans 99.9% of the fouling from the crown of my rifles.

An alternative to standing the rifle into a container of chemical is to soak a cotton patch/cloth in the chemical and dab it around the threads and muzzle. The issue with this is you need to keep dabbing the muzzle so as not to let the previous application dry out.

A small tip for the threads. Buy and use a good quality copper grease. It prevent seizing of the mod and keeps the threads clean as any fouling will rest on the grease so when you wipe away the grease the fouling, or most of it, comes away with the grease.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Thanks Cass and gunhappy.

I'm all over the small dab Copper Grease on the threads.

Some things to try out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

grease and KG1 as said, comes off very easily, the regrease and store

Advertisement