Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Winner Optimist dinghy repair questions please.

• 21-05-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello All,
    I'm about to start a few repairs on an old Winner Optimist dinghy(GRP). Nothing too major, but necessary all the same. I have 2 questions that I'd like some help with:
    1. I'm assuming it's a polyester resin build and I intend to use West epoxy for the repairs (because that's what I have on-hand). Is this an OK approach, and is there any easy way of knowing whether it's poly or epoxy built?
    2. When it comes to painting, I was thinking International Pre-Kote finished with Toplac. Assuming an epoxy repair is this an acceptable paint option?
    All thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep you should have no problem with epoxy on polyester it's the other way round that causes problems, and that's the same paint I uses on my projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Thanks Fergal.
    Like all good boat projects, this one has a near-zero budget so I can't start messing around trying different finishes. Onward it is then.

Advertisement