Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moderator or Muzzle Brake

• 14-05-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Lads/Ladettes,

For recoil management, which would you recommend? I've shot almost exclusively with a moderator and like it. Never used a brake, although I've been on the receiving end of dispersed gases more than once.

From a maintenance point of view, are there any pros and cons here as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

alanmc wrote: »
    Lads/Ladettes,

For recoil management, which would you recommend? I've shot almost exclusively with a moderator and like it. Never used a brake, although I've been on the receiving end of dispersed gases more than once.

From a maintenance point of view, are there any pros and cons here as well?

I suppose from a maintenance point of view a muzzle brake will be easier to keep clean since it's essentially an open device that only deflects gasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No-one will like you if you get a muzzle break.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A suppressor will do what a suppressor and muzzle break can do while a muzzle break can only do what a muzzle break does.

So if it's for use then i'd say suppressor. For sh*ts and giggles go for a muzzle break, but as said above you'll loose friends, quick. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have an integral muzzle break on a feather weight .270 and it will indeed ring your gong, noise wise, in enclosed or sheltered spaces but in open areas its not as bad. But it makes a light weight gun a much more joyful experience to fire while maintaining its light and compact properties. Hunting wise I have being able to shoot two animals with it with in spitting distance of each other. For the hill or even just a light weight compact forest stalking I'd go for it, but having said that I have used other calibres unmoded or without breaks on hill and wood with no issues.

What calibre are you talking about? My old .243 needed a mod to tame muzzel flip, while my '06 (altough moded) is a smoother beast to shoot (unmoded) as is my mates Finnlight in '06. But my other mates Finnlight in .243 is a thumper and ear buster with just a standard barrel unmoded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

What calibre are you talking about? My old .243 needed a mod to tame muzzel flip, while my '06 (altough moded) is a smoother beast to shoot (unmoded) as is my mates Finnlight in '06. But my other mates Finnlight in .243 is a thumper and ear buster with just a standard barrel unmoded.

308 175gr. Kinda snappy and my Recoil Management leaves alot to be desired. I do need to get better at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Do you use a sling?It seems to be the most under used bit of equipment by hunters and some target shooters in Ireland,and is one of the best recoil and muzzle flip reducers,if used properly out there oce you understand how its done.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Looking at some of the PRS style matches, the performance of some of the best muzzle breaks is insane. Centerfire rifles looking like they recoil like a .22lr

So if it is purely for recoil management, a muzzle break will beat the moderator and has less impact on rifle handling. BUT a moderator may make the overall platform more pleasant because of associated noise reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Do you use a sling?It seems to be the most under used bit of equipment by hunters and some target shooters in Ireland,and is one of the best recoil and muzzle flip reducers,if used properly out there oce you understand how its done.

I shot with a sling years ago in college. .22 sporters. Haven't used one since. Can't say I ever got the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Really should,it is the most underused bit of equipment here I think.Most people just use it to carry the gun.But if you sling correctly,it can be as good as using a bipod for some shots.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

These two links may prove to be of interest to some of you, if you want to have a look at using your sling better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtaLUbTwZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCpK-EexHAI

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sara987

I would recommend you muzzle brake. I used titanium muzzle brake on my AK gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭shootemall

Sara987 wrote: »

I use an unobtanium one on my doomsday device

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sara987 wrote: »

?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm sure they meant boom stick :D

giphy.gif
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

This is a good read on a great site for info.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Good read...

Advertisement