Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro D'Italia 2019 - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wonder why the double accent of the Mortirolo is not a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Some lads might be lapped

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Not much interest in todays stage, pan flat boring cycling. At least once today is out of the way the next few stages look really good.

I actually don't really like the high mountain stages.

Usually nothing really happens until the last few kms.

I know you have long range breaks but typically one strong team just rides and gets rid of everyone bar the 4 or 5 strongest team leaders, most lads are hanging on and trying to protect their GC place.

Maybe its for the better in general that no one is capable of doing 200 kms jaunts across 4 big mountains and winning by 7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Finnrocco wrote: »

I know you have long range breaks but typically one strong team just rides and gets rid of everyone bar the 4 or 5 strongest team leaders, most lads are hanging on and trying to protect their GC place.

Maybe its for the better in general that no one is capable of doing 200 kms jaunts across 4 big mountains and winning by 7 minutes.

Yeah, but Team Idiots aren't anywhere near the GC lead and the other contenders have to break Roglič.

I hope the brief pre-Giro Nibbles-Yates Twitter spat doesn't get in the way of them tag-teaming Roglič. Maybe there will be a mass pile-on from the assembled ranks of young riders with nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Apparently it would make a long ridiculously tough stage even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Not looking good for Slovenian cycling. All stemming from that Austrian/German Operation Aderlass. Initially, it was thought the impact on pro cycling would be limited to the Austrian cyclists that were busted, but this news points to a larger doping ring... potentially!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-meridas-milan-erzen-under-uci-investigation-for-doping-links/

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Not looking good for Slovenian cycling. All stemming from that Austrian/German Operation Aderlass. Initially, it was thought the impact on pro cycling would be limited to the Austrian cyclists that were busted, but this news points to a larger doping ring... potentially!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-meridas-milan-erzen-under-uci-investigation-for-doping-links/

Not good for Bahrain, they already have a DS and rider suspended as part of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Conor Dunne's tour diary... sounds like the hotel from hell.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/conor-dunnes-giro-ditalia-diary-of-the-fiveandahalf-hour-stage-fourandahalf-of-that-was-a-cafe-ride-38139529.html

With mould on the walls, holes in the bedclothes and a severe lack of toilet paper, our post-apocalyptic overnight dormitory was the kind of place you'd have second thoughts sheltering in if it was the only building standing in a storm. Thankfully, there was no restaurant and we had to go next door for dinner...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I know it sounds like a bit of a tired cliche but I'd say you'd enjoy going for a few pints with Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Gavias out for Tuesday and new route
    The Passo Gavia has been removed from Tuesday’s queen stage of the Giro d'Italia to Ponte di Legno, with race director Mauro Vegni confirming that the risk of further snow, avalanches and ice-covered roads made it too risky to cover the highest climb of this year's race

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-passo-gavia-removed-due-to-avalanche-threat/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where are the stage threads for yday or today? Or were there any??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

retalivity wrote: »
    Where are the stage threads for yday or today? Or were there any??

Here's yesterday's. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983172

Feel free to set up today's

Here's yesterday's. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983172

Feel free to set up today's

That was Fridays stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DELETED

DELETED

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Spoilers, no matter how minor in the relevant stage threads.

Finnrocco wrote: »

I actually love the high mountain stages, loads of things happen from the first kms.

Guess when there's no team controlling the race you get more lads giving it a go.........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

D7isQnnU8AEeUue.jpg:large
    The Night's Watch choose a new form of transport to defend the Wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

velo.2010 wrote: »
    D7isQnnU8AEeUue.jpg:large
    The Night's Watch choose a new form of transport to defend the Wall!

:D

Brilliant Velo !!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

https://video.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/giro-d-italia/2019/de-fietswissel-van-roglic-beelden-van-binnen-de-ploegwagen-na-de-plaspauze_vid1201929/video.shtml

In car footage from the Jumbo Visma car after they stopped for a nature break and then got word of Roglic mechanical. Also shows the sticky bottle that earned Roglic a 200CHF fine

cunavalos wrote: »
    https://video.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/giro-d-italia/2019/de-fietswissel-van-roglic-beelden-van-binnen-de-ploegwagen-na-de-plaspauze_vid1201929/video.shtml

In car footage from the Jumbo Visma car after they stopped for a nature break and then got word of Roglic mechanical. Also shows the sticky bottle that earned Roglic a 200CHF fine

I think he should have got a time penalty... 20 seconds maybe.
    I'm actually surprised he didn't, considering it's Italy and they ideally want Nibbles to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think he should have got a time penalty... 20 seconds maybe.
    I'm actually surprised he didn't, considering it's Italy and they ideally want Nibbles to win.

UCI comms make the decision not the race organisers. Gotta hope that they can make decisions independent of the country that they are in. That said, when I saw it, I was expecting a time penalty.

They had it easy in 2014 vs 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nafisjedriel

I think it'll be Nibali, Yates, Roglic top 3 at the end but not necessarily in the that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I think it'll be Nibali, Yates, Roglic top 3 at the end but not necessarily in the that order.

Cant stand Yates, smug, arrogant, annoying Brit, the type you meet on ski holidays who loves to tell you how good they are.

First Grand Tour I've watched a bit of in years, its actually been enjoyable, probably mainly due to Sky/whatever they are called now being a non factor in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

terrydel wrote: »
    Cant stand Yates, smug, arrogant, annoying Brit, the type you meet on ski holidays who loves to tell you how good they are.

First Grand Tour I've watched a bit of in years, its actually been enjoyable, probably mainly due to Sky/whatever they are called now being a non factor in it.

Christ, what did I just read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

terrydel wrote: »
    ...meet on ski holidays ....

You mean the type of people that like to tell you that they go on ski holidays?

Advertisement