Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ARE you going to vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

How is it allowed? You can’t possibly represent your national electorate if you’re concentrating on the fun and games in Europe.

You're having a fackin' laugh, mate. Daly, Ming, Wallace and the rest of them are only interested in furthering their own interests by jumping on the latest bandwagon and flogging that to death.

The interests of the electorate are not to the forefront at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How is it allowed? You can’t possibly represent your national electorate if you’re concentrating on the fun and games in Europe.

Sitting TD resigns the seat in the Dail if they are successful. Worked for Brian Hayes. In reverse it's how Murphy became an MEP when Higgins won a Dail seat. He resigned his MEP seat in favour of his nominee Murphy.

But I’m sure they stay in one job just long enough to be eligible for the pension?

No wonder the electorate are so disillusioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sitting TD resigns the seat in the Dail if they are successful. Worked for Brian Hayes. In reverse it's how Murphy became an MEP when Higgins won a Dail seat. He resigned his MEP seat in favour of his nominee Murphy.

Murphy was, if I recall correctly, fourth or fifth choice on Higgins replacement list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Murphy was, if I recall correctly, fourth or fifth choice on Higgins replacement list.

I described how Murphy got the gig, was I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Why don't you vote in the EU elections?

I have done and probably will again. Just don't see what difference who your MEP is makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Squatter wrote: »
    But Simon isn't running on 26 May!

Yeah you're right. Was talking generally. I voted for Martin Ferris' daughter the last time purely because she is sexy and hot.

I really hope Crowley doesn't get voted back in. He literally does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I always vote. I'm still thinking about who to give my vote to in the local elections but have my European candidate picked.

Looking forward to voting to reform our ridiculous divorce laws too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sure will. Based on a very clear criteria this election :
    Candidates who have put up no posters : No 1
    Candidates with minimal posters : after that
    Candidates recognised as having polluted the landscape with oodles of posters : no vote

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

For the locals, if you don't put up a poster you'll be considered for a vote. It's says you actually care about the area as opposed to purely political ambitions.

For the Euros, you need to be a person who might actually disagree with the EU Class every so often. I'm not looking for another yes man/woman. It's a wasted vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I will but not sure who I will vote for yet.

People in other countires walk miles in blistering heat to vote yet some here in Ireland are too lazy to get up off their arse and cast their vote but are the first to whinge about the state of the country and it's politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think its important to vote, otherwise you can't complain about the result.

The divorce amendments are the most important vote in my opinion.

In terms of the local elections, given I've limited knowledge of the candidates, it's more difficult to decide what to do. I'll probably decide more by a process of elimination, and who I want to keep out and see what's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

No. I don't give a toss about politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm won't be. Never registered as there's not a politician worth a vote.

I can still think whoever gets in is doing a shít dishonest job (because they will be) because my one vote won't have kept them out regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nope live in Finglas Labour FF and Green Party running here so far with the odd few independent fliers in my no junk mail mail box. Couldn't care less next time I'll see or hear from anyone is the next election they just slink away and rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I live in Spain. I have lived here for seven years and I plan to continue living here for the rest of my life. I work here, I pay rent, I pay taxes, I contribute to the Spanish economy. But because I'm not a Spanish citizen, I can't vote. I can't have a say in who rubs the country where I live. Until I become one, that'll be the case. I don't think its fair but it is what it is. There was an election yesterday and I would have loved to cast a vote but no dice.

You don't appreciate your vote until you don't have one. Please make the most of it, whoever you vote for, even if its a spoiled vote. Its better than sitting on your arse and not getting involved. I'd love to have the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Voting (even a spoiled vote counts) is a civic duty. Unless you are out of the country or otherwise unable, there's absolutely no excuse not to.

Basic cornerstone of fundamental democracy that people fought and died for. The least you can do is take half an hour every couple of years and have your voice heard.

If not, you have no right to complain about the result, ever.

If everyone who said there's no one decent enough to deserve a vote spoiled their vote, there would be enough spoiled votes to make us an international embarrassment and something would have to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why deny yourself a voice.

There's nothing to use my voice for. They're all just the same people with a different coloured banner above their head.

Nobody is really getting a voice from voting anyway. Loads of people fool themselves that they have one but you've to vote with the majority for it to count anyway.

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I really hope Crowley doesn't get voted back in. He literally does nothing.

He isn't running. The bad press he got over the past few years obviously shamed him into calling it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Squatter wrote: »
    He isn't running. The bad press he got over the past few years obviously shamed him into calling it a day.

I'm sorry, but I don't think Crowley has ever run...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cena wrote: »
    As the title says, well you be voting on May 26?

No

I'll be voting on May 24th

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    is it really on a Sunday?

Nope. The op got the date wrong

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am currently looking into moving to Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown so I can vote for Grace Tallon.

You cant because she is retiring as a councillor

Terry Pratchet

They would to resign as a TD if they become an MEP

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Never been so uninterested in the people interested in lining their own pockets. Rents are at an all time high and no politician seems to give a sh1t, why would I care about them advancing their own career. Why would I listen to their lies at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nikki Sixx wrote:
    Never been so uninterested in the people interested in lining their own pockets. Rents are at an all time high and no politician seems to give a sh1t, why would I care about them advancing their own career. Why would I listen to their lies at the door?

Nobody really knows what to do about our housing problems, this goes far beyond our political institutions, I can see this one staying around for a long time yet, politicians do care about it, they just don't know what to do about it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Nobody really knows what to do about our housing problems, this goes far beyond our political institutions, I can see this one staying around for a long time yet, politicians do care about it, they just don't know what to do about it

Nah thats not true

The government are stubbornly sticking to their policy because of an ideology that the market serves all

Opposition parties have detailed polcies too

https://www.fiannafail.ie/our-policies/housing/

https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing

https://www.labour.ie/manifesto/affordable-housing-for-all/

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

These guys going for the European elections. Guy came to my door this morning and said can I have your first ? I asked him sorry who are you and what have done in this area ? He's made for politics as he deflected the question. Short answer, no I won't be voting in Europeans, absolutely Yes for Generals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nah thats not true

The government are stubbornly sticking to their policy because of an ideology that the market serves all

Opposition parties have detailed polcies too

https://www.fiannafail.ie/our-policies/housing/

https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing

https://www.labour.ie/manifesto/affordable-housing-for-all/

i will agree with you that the market is not actually capable of providing us with all our needs but im not convinced anybody else really knows what to do about changing this either, this is a very complicated problem, and we re not the only country with this problem

Advertisement