Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft of ATM's

• 03-04-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Why are banks encouraging this type of theft by leaving what is essentially boxes full of cash laying around the country?

Surely there are means of completely destroying what's inside when theft is detected???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

CSU wrote: »
    Why are banks encouraging this type of theft by leaving what is essentially boxes full of cash laying around the country?

Surely there are means of completely destroying what's inside when theft is detected???

Once the ATM is ripped out of the wall, the cash is destroyed.

Robbers are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

ATM Robberies UK

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Allinall wrote: »

Robbers are idiots.

They must be able to recover some of it, why else would they do it so often otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

They must be able to recover some of it, why else would they do it so often otherwise?

Because they keeping getting let back out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Modern ATMs can be fitted with dye release systems to destroy the cash inside but I don't believe its widespread.

They're basically only being stolen along the border currently so they can get to the other jurisdiction before the right for any pursuit to transfer over can be arranged. Replacements will likely be instore ATMs which generally hold far less cash and can't be removed as easily so the problem will probably just go away in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Robbers are idiots.

...so, if that's true it's probably kids?

...too much effort to be planned.

Unless older machines around the place are known not to destroy cash???
    I can't believe this is just being done for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Robbers are idiots.

I think that used to be the case but criminals have found a way around it. The cash boxes have ink contained inside and if they are forceably opened then the ink cartridge explodes and ruins all the cash. The way they get around that is to put the cash box inside a deep freezer for 24 hours and then break it open, the ink is frozen and the cash remains unharmed. They've hit 9 ATMs now in eight weeks so they are not doing this without a technique to get the cash out, it is clearly working for them and at up to €100k a pop its no wonder they've kept going.

I'm wondering is it common criminals behind it or is it the New IRA ramping up funding for weapons ready for a hard border. Could well be the paras in a rush to get money together quick, whoever is dong it is certainly in a hurry and increasing their chances of getting caught by hitting an ATM pretty much every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think that used to be the case but criminals have found a way around it. The cash boxes have ink contained inside and if they are forceably opened then the ink cartridge explodes and ruins all the cash. The way they get around that is to put the cash box inside a deep freezer for 24 hours and then break it open, the ink is frozen and the cash remains unharmed. They've hit 9 ATMs now in eight weeks so they are not doing this without a technique to get the cash out, it is clearly working for them and at up to €100k a pop its no wonder they've kept going.

I'm wondering is it common criminals behind it or is it the New IRA ramping up funding for weapons ready for a hard border. Could well be the paras in a rush to get money together quick, whoever is dong it is certainly in a hurry and increasing their chances of getting caught by hitting an ATM pretty much every week.

So they freeze it!?
    That's clever

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So they freeze it!?
    That's clever

Thats what I heard yeah. Pretty smart way of doing it however its taken quite a few years for them to solve the problem- ATM and cash in transit robberies were vitually non-existant after the introduction of the dye packs in the cash box, iirc it was circa 2012 when there was a spate of cash in transit robberies and the government hauled Brinks Allied and Securicor before them and told them to solve the problem, which they did with the ink packs. So while its a clever idea to freeze the ink inside the cash box it still took them the guts of six years to figure it out ! They were probably kicking themselves they didn't work it out sooner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

Muahahaha wrote: »

Apparently the lad behind the credit union robbery in Louth a few years ago when the Garda was killed is behind at least the latest ATM robbery in Castleblayney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expect alcohol based inks that don't freeze in commercial freezing equipment soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

L1011 wrote: »
    Modern ATMs can be fitted with dye release systems to destroy the cash inside but I don't believe its widespread.

They're basically only being stolen along the border currently so they can get to the other jurisdiction before the right for any pursuit to transfer over can be arranged. Replacements will likely be instore ATMs which generally hold far less cash and can't be removed as easily so the problem will probably just go away in time.

they are taking there time addressing it

Advertisement