Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ attack already being labelled a "false flag" by conspiracy theorists

• 16-03-2019 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

I see usual conspiracy forums have lit up. Apparently he was a Mossad agent, or he was part of a ploy to get weapons banned in NZ, or a "false flag" to turn the public on white nationalists

Every major attack or shooting in the last 15 years, it never changes. Individuals start with the notion it's a "conspiracy", assume a motive, go to group validation conspiracy sites, start collecting "anomalies" and "things that just don't make sense" about the event, that becomes evidence for whatever conspiracy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I see a lot of mental gymnastics in the near future; false flag to discredit white supremacists but still an excuse to talk about immigration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Debate and open discussion can only be a good thing.
    People are entitled to question the official narrative we have been lied to before.
    That said I don't think for a second NZ was a false flag

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

People are entitled to question the official narrative we have been lied to before.
    No one said that people can't "question" it.
    By the same token, rational people should be able to point out people who do claim that this and other mass shootings are fake are rather silly, gullible or outright disgusting.

If those people don't like people pointing out those things, there are plenty of safe spaces out there for them.

They’re not questioning an official narrative, it’s now the default response to label something a false flag within hours of something happening and those people being nowhere near the event.
    Prior false flags were supposed to remove out liberties, but yet they keep happening. The sooner conspiracy theorists are labelled mentally compromised or being part of a cult the better.

King Mob wrote: »
    By the same token, rational people should be able to point out people who do claim that this and other mass shootings are fake are rather silly, gullible or outright disgusting.

If those people don't like people pointing out those things, there are plenty of safe spaces out there for them.

Well I might disagree with them but no need to call them silly or any other names.
    Some conpricy theories can be quite convincing.
    No need to shut down debate with insults as for the more wacky theories a lot of them are just trolling best ignored

• Advertisement

Well I might disagree with them but no need to call them silly or any other names.
    Some conpricy theories can be quite convincing.
    No need to shut down debate with insults as for the more wacky theories a lot of them are just trolling best ignored
    Well if you believe that a mass shooting is faked, then yea, you're either a bit silly or you're gullible.
    Or they are a type like Alex Jones and his ilk, who try to harass victims and the families of victims.
    Disgusting is putting it mildly.

Again, if these insults hurt the feelings of people who buy into these silly silly theories, there's plenty of places they can go where no one will question their beliefs.

These people aren't interested in debate. They've already decided it's a conspiracy before and in spite of any evidence.

Well if you believe that a mass shooting is faked, then yea, you're either a bit silly or you're gullible.
    Or they are a type like Alex Jones and his ilk, who try to harass victims and the families of victims.
    Disgusting is putting it mildly.

Again, if these insults hurt the feelings of people who buy into these silly silly theories, there's plenty of places they can go where no one will question their beliefs.

These people aren't interested in debate. They've already decided it's a conspiracy before and in spite of any evidence.

My point was you seem to so fixed to your own opinion you seek out echo chambers just like the conspiracy heads do.
    It fine to question anybody's point of view but let's all be a bit kinder and more reasonable we might get somewhere.
    As for conspiracy theory the best one I've heard is Alex Jones is actually Bill Hicks lots of evidence to prove it.
    Would be gas if true

It fine to question anybody's point of view but let's all be a bit kinder and more reasonable we might get somewhere.
    But why should we be kind and coddle people who believe obvious nonsense?
    Should we pretend that their theories aren't based on either general silliness or deliberate deception?
    Should we just ignore the general defending and excusing white supremacy?

I'm fixed on my opinion on this in the same way that I'm fixed on my opinion of the existance of gravity.
    You need a lot of good evidence to change my mind.
    Youtube videos about how a national tragedy is actually a plot to discredit white supremacy is not worthy of consideration or respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,487 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You feed people too much bull**** and then they go and try to shoot up a pizza parlor with a nonexistent basement.

But no I was not surprised to see Rush Limbaugh peddling this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

As for conspiracy theory the best one I've heard is Alex Jones is actually Bill Hicks lots of evidence to prove it.
    Would be gas if true

Is that really the best conspiracy theory youve ever heard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You just highlighted here you don't believe it was a false flag. This went over there heads- normal behaviour on this forum welcome to the madness :)

You just highlighted here you don't believe it was a false flag. This went over there heads- normal behaviour on this forum welcome to the madness :)

He was being critiicised because he said that people who believe in false flags straight away and for prlonged periods of time without evidence should be even considered for a normal debate.

Ipso wrote: »
    He was being critiicised because he said that people who believe in false flags straight away and for prlonged periods of time without evidence should be even considered for a normal debate.

Where I don't see this post?

Ipso wrote: »

I never said that

The conspiracy loons were shouting false flag within an hour of the shooting. Claiming the video shows vanishing cartridges.

Something very very wrong with these people.

There was a civilian who took on the gun man, has he been accused of being part of it, yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The Nal wrote: »
    The conspiracy loons were shouting false flag within an hour of the shooting. Claiming the video shows vanishing cartridges.

Something very very wrong with these people.

It was the same with the Boston bombing, Sandy Hook, Aurora shooting, Charlie Hebdo, Paris attacks, Belgian attacks, London attacks, Las Vegas shooting (and those were just the ones I followed)

Identical in fact, same faulty reasoning each time with amateur internet detectives feverishly working to find "weird" and "unbelievable" stuff so they could point to some vague conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Give an example to justify this statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They usually say it's something to do with the date, some sort of symbolism related to the occult. Has anyone mentioned that?

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Give an example to justify this statement.

What statement

What statement

They're don't know, mate.;)

They're don't know, mate.;)

babka---wat_30950570_orig_.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Thing is these conspiracies invariably target the victims of the attacks. That's not a good thing and in the likes of Sandy Hook it became awful for those families. This American Life covered the area in a recent episode. Can you explain how it's a good thing to terrorise families of spree shooting victims? That's what that sort of questioning of the narrative consists of.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/670/beware-the-jabberwock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anti false flag posters started the discussion. There seems to be more believers in these forums that false flags never happen than the opposite, a strange position for a conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Anti false flag posters started the discussion.

What's an anti false flag poster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    What's an anti false flag poster?

A poster who doesn’t believe in any false flags. Well those that go against western narratives. Clearly. Most arguments here are not on the actual event but generalised attacks on conspiracy theorists. However, while most theories are nuts, some may have a kernel of truth.

Also what’s the point of this forum. You and a few others who are anti all conspiracy are clearly in the majority on a forum which was no doubt designed to be a place for conspiracy theorists to hang out. A forum that is itself a ghetto.

The very existence of any narrative that isn’t the established narrative enrages some.

A poster who doesn’t believe in any false flags. Well those that go against western narratives. Clearly. Most arguments here are not on the actual event but generalised attacks on conspiracy theorists. However, while most theories are nuts, some may have a kernel of truth.

Also what’s the point of this forum. You and a few others who are anti all conspiracy are clearly in the majority on a forum which was no doubt designed to be a place for conspiracy theorists to hang out. A forum that is itself a ghetto.

The very existence of any narrative that isn’t the established narrative enrages some.

Assuming something is a false flag within minutes of the event without any evidence is complete insanity.

There seems to be more believers in these forums that false flags never happen than the opposite,
    Who has stated this?

Does not believing in the notion that the government hires actors to pretend to be victims of a fake shooting mean that we don't believe that false flags aren't a thing?

:confused:

• Advertisement

However, while most theories are nuts, some may have a kernel of truth.
    Which theories are nuts and which ones have a kernel of truth?
    How do we tell the difference?
    What is the kernel of truth behind the notion that the New Zealand attack was staged?
    Plenty of safe spaces out there for conspiracy theorists were people won't point out problems with their theories or point out that it's a bit silly and ghoulish to decide that an attack is a false flag before the victims are cold.

Advertisement