Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Do advertise on Bing? If so, do you get many bookings via that search engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

i spent many a day working in our hotel in Killarney. Spent many a night in a club called the crypt too if i recall correctly haha :D but you are right - hotels are a family and we really do look after our own and have some craic

Haha the Crypt, worked there for a while :pac:

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

Hi Hotelier person- congratulations on a most excellent thread :D

Just a couple of Qs:

Do you think changes in technology will impact on hotel employment figures in the future? i.e. automation/self service taking certain jobs?

What's your attitude towards "pod" hotels- i.e. basically tiny room to sleep in- do you think they will catch on in ireland (like Japan?)

many thanks

We do have a few self check-in terminals in some of our hotels. They serve a purpose, especially for people that just want to get in, get to their room and get out again with a minimal amount of fuss. Hotels are still all about the people though so i dont foresee technology impacting on staffing levels to a large degree anytime soon

I personally love the pod design and also the compact room design. They opened a compact design hotel in Belfast last year called the easyhotel and that is proving very popular. Time will tell how well they fare but i do like the concept of them. The pods would be great in areas such as terminal 2 in dublin airport or city centre dublin where space is at a premium

What do you think about certain hotels accepting guests who are homeless and their stay being funded by the CoCo’s, but then certain areas of the hotel (bar, gym, pool) being made unavailable to these people?

I cant say i have heard of this happening to be honest. If you have information please send on a link and ill gladly take a look at it and revert back

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We do have a few self check-in terminals in some of our hotels. They serve a purpose, especially for people that just want to get in, get to their room and get out again with a minimal amount of fuss. Hotels are still all about the people though so i dont foresee technology impacting on staffing levels to a large degree anytime soon

I personally love the pod design and also the compact room design. They opened a compact design hotel in Belfast last year called the easyhotel and that is proving very popular. Time will tell how well they fare but i do like the concept of them. The pods would be great in areas such as terminal 2 in dublin airport or city centre dublin where space is at a premium

The Premier Inn Hubs seem to have taken off like wildfire over in London and other spots in the UK, compact rooms but still spacious enough for someone looking for just a room etc, do you think it would be feasible to see something like this done in Ireland?

Also, I worked in a hotel a few years ago part time during college as wait staff for functions, do you enjoy or loathe functions in your hotel? I remember our GM staying in well past 3/4am with us as we were doing cleardown and wondered how he was able to stick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I cant say i have heard of this happening to be honest. If you have information please send on a link and ill gladly take a look at it and revert back

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/dublin-hotel-homeless-family-rules-2270096-Aug2015/%3famp=1

irishgeo wrote: »
    When an event/concert is on and the price of rooms go way up. Isn't that blatant profiteering as your making a a profit on your rooms at the standard rate?

No i would not agree with your statement. A few points to note:

1 - Profiteering implies that our pricing is not regulated and that hotels have a free reign to do what they like, when they like, in relation to pricing. This is not the case. All hotels have to submit their maximum rack rates each year to Failte Ireland and we cannot exceed these prices, no matter what the circumstances.

2 - The hotel industry is based on exactly what you are talking about - rate fluctuation. Hotels are operated using yield management techniques and we sell rooms using this method, which entails us selling block amounts of rooms at certain prices and then increasing prices where demand dictates the market. We are a business at the end of the day. We want to be profitable so that we can make money and also keep our staff employed. To criticise hotels for operating as they are supposed to is a bit unfair

3 - Taking another industry as an example, lets look at the shawn mendes concert in Dublin on the 14th April. He is charging up to 300 euro for a ticket that night. The gibson hotel across the road from the 3arena are charging half that price for a room that night - yet the hotels are the ones that get the bad publicity about the event, not the artist. Not having a go at shawn mendes, im sure he's a nice bloke and all, but the point im making is that hotels do seem to get all the bad press about stuff like this which i do believe is unfair

Do advertise on Bing? If so, do you get many bookings via that search engine?

not really. Very little to speak of on that platform

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes we do pay commission on bookings from OTA's. I wont go into exact percentages but yes hotels always try to get guests to book direct as we make more money that way

cheapest rates for hotels SHOULD always be on your own website / offered directly to guests. OTA prices tend to be higher as we add on the amount of money that we are going to pay in commission to the OTA prices so that we get the same money for the room. Booking.com were very aggressive a few years back wanting rate parity from hotels ( the price on the hotels website and booking.com would be the same ) but they dont do that anymore. Having said that, sometimes hotels will run special offers on the OTA's by offering % discounts and sometimes it will end up that the rate will be cheaper on booking.com than your own website but it really should never get to that stage if hotels are on the ball with their rates. Moral of the story - if you want a hotel, always go direct

Apologies if you answered this already. I'm on page 9 of 11 of this thread.

I travel for work a lot and am supposed to use the company booking tool which happens to be booking.com on the back end. But, I have never managed to get a better price direct. If anything it is often not available or over the booking.com price.

We have corporate agreed rate for very heavily used hotels around the country but anywhere else is never cheaper. I tend to book that day or maximum day before for most hotels if that makes any difference.

The Premier Inn Hubs seem to have taken off like wildfire over in London and other spots in the UK, compact rooms but still spacious enough for someone looking for just a room etc, do you think it would be feasible to see something like this done in Ireland?

Also, I worked in a hotel a few years ago part time during college as wait staff for functions, do you enjoy or loathe functions in your hotel? I remember our GM staying in well past 3/4am with us as we were doing cleardown and wondered how he was able to stick it.

Budget hotels do have their place. Premier Inn / Travelodge are the prime examples of that. Very good product if you manage your expectations and know what you are getting. Premier Inn will probably start making more headway into Ireland in the near future, currently only 1 hotel in Ireland at the airport

As i said earlier, you either love hotels or you dont. I have no problems staying late and mucking in to get the place sorted before people come down for breakfast and you do it all over again !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Great AMA.

Do you intend to stay in the current type of role until retirement or do you dream of opening up your own small hotel somewhere?

apologies i thought you were referring to a recent incident. The article listed is 4yrs old. I think back then some hotels were coming to grips with the sudden demand that city councils had for accommodation and this hotel clearly panicked a little bit and went way overboard with the rules and regulations. I would be very surprised if this was still happening in these hotels today but i couldnt be 100% sure. Personally i never like distinguishing between different types of guests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Do you find that the hotel industry is one that is somewhat stuck in the past and could do more to appeal to the younger generation as many are turning to other somewhat cheaper and more flexible options these days such as Air B+B, Booking.com etc. I just get the impression that hotels aren't appealing to the younger generation anymore and what challenges do believe the hotel industry is facing atm or could see facing in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Could you give any hints, tips or advice for securing upgrades?

Are they sometimes given if guests make reference to a birthday, anniversary etc at check-in, or are they a bit of an urban myth?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Apologies if you answered this already. I'm on page 9 of 11 of this thread.

I travel for work a lot and am supposed to use the company booking tool which happens to be booking.com on the back end. But, I have never managed to get a better price direct. If anything it is often not available or over the booking.com price.

We have corporate agreed rate for very heavily used hotels around the country but anywhere else is never cheaper. I tend to book that day or maximum day before for most hotels if that makes any difference.

ok so lets go to booking.com and do a search for a room in the holiday inn express dublin city centre for tomorrow night, for 2 people. Booking.com will give you a price of 154 euro. If you go to the holiday inn express dublin city centre's own website, it will give you a price of 149.38. This is the typical standard price variation of either 5 or 10 euro or a percentage of the rate. Always cheaper to go direct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

apologies i thought you were referring to a recent incident. The article listed is 4yrs old. I think back then some hotels were coming to grips with the sudden demand that city councils had for accommodation and this hotel clearly panicked a little bit and went way overboard with the rules and regulations. I would be very surprised if this was still happening in these hotels today but i couldnt be 100% sure. Personally i never like distinguishing between different types of guests

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/bonnington-hotel-resident-reveals-horrific-14670992

Here’s a more recent article showing that there are still issues. Especially where they mention the “homeless” section of the hotel. I get that it’s a matter for each individual hotel management though.

Cushtie wrote: »
    Great AMA.

Do you intend to stay in the current type of role until retirement or do you dream of opening up your own small hotel somewhere?

if you had asked me that 15 years ago i probably would have said i would like my own place. Now though im very happy where i am and will gladly work my way up the ladder to being a company director of the hotel group ( fingers crossed LOL )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I've done quite a lot of travelling in the last few years and I don't think I've ever gotten a better quote by checking a hotel direct. Booking.com also typically comes with better terms like free cancellation etc. as well as being more convenient.

I mean, I get it that it's in your interest to say people should book direct but it's definitely not cheaper most of the time. Maybe the odd time depending on the particular hotel.

Hotels in Dublin are expensive but Dublin in general is expensive, I don't think people have much of an issue with this. Well, they do. But they accept. What REALLY gets on people's tits is when an €80 hotel room becomes €400 because Beyoncé is playing in the 3 Arena or it's an All Ireland weekend. It's the definition of price gouging.

Hotels aren't unique in that though. Airlines do it as well. It's also not unique to Ireland

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Do you find that the hotel industry is one that is somewhat stuck in the past and could do more to appeal to the younger generation as many are turning to other somewhat cheaper and more flexible options these days such as Air B+B, Booking.com etc. I just get the impression that hotels aren't appealing to the younger generation anymore and what challenges do believe the hotel industry is facing atm or could see facing in the future.

not at all. quite the opposite actually. When i was growing up i always had this thought that going into a hotel was one of the most posh things that a person could do. I think hotels are far more accessible and affordable and welcoming to the younger generation now than they were when i was growing up. Hotel design has changed a lot in the last 5 - 10yrs and you are now seeing the advent of funky hotels being built. There is a new hotel due to open in smithfield in may called the hendrick hotel. Check it out. It is a good example of how modern hotels are adapting to the market

Paully D wrote: »
    Could you give any hints, tips or advice for securing upgrades?

Are they sometimes given if guests make reference to a birthday, anniversary etc at check-in, or are they a bit of an urban myth?

Ask LOL email the hotel before you arrive, tell them its a birthday or anniversary or something like that. Dont go overboard and ask for way too much - keep it simple and you will probably get what you ask for.

Asking at check-in can sometimes be too late as room allocations are already done, perhaps a lot of people have already checked-in which will limit the rooms available for staff to move you to, etc

• Advertisement

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/bonnington-hotel-resident-reveals-horrific-14670992

Here’s a more recent article showing that there are still issues. Especially where they mention the “homeless” section of the hotel. I get that it’s a matter for each individual hotel management though.

Yeah i think its fair to say in the case of this article there is little to no management of this place. As you rightly say, its how the management handle it

troyzer wrote: »
    I've done quite a lot of travelling in the last few years and I don't think I've ever gotten a better quote by checking a hotel direct. Booking.com also typically comes with better terms like free cancellation etc. as well as being more convenient.

I mean, I get it that it's in your interest to say people should book direct but it's definitely not cheaper most of the time. Maybe the odd time depending on the particular hotel.

Hotels in Dublin are expensive but Dublin in general is expensive, I don't think people have much of an issue with this. Well, they do. But they accept. What REALLY gets on people's tits is when an €80 hotel room becomes €400 because Beyoncé is playing in the 3 Arena or it's an All Ireland weekend. It's the definition of price gouging.

Hotels aren't unique in that though. Airlines do it as well. It's also not unique to Ireland

I have probably addressed all of this in other answers. It really is cheaper to book direct. The cheapest price will always be direct as we arent charging you commission. Booking.com free cancellations - hotels offer the same policy but usually better. booking.com cancellation is 24hrs prior to arrival. some hotel groups offer free cancellation up to 12pm on the day of arrival. As mentioned earlier, no hotel could charge 400 euro for a typical 80 euro room as we are regulated by failte ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

not at all. quite the opposite actually. When i was growing up i always had this thought that going into a hotel was one of the most posh things that a person could do. I think hotels are far more accessible and affordable and welcoming to the younger generation now than they were when i was growing up. Hotel design has changed a lot in the last 5 - 10yrs and you are now seeing the advent of funky hotels being built. There is a new hotel due to open in smithfield in may called the hendrick hotel. Check it out. It is a good example of how modern hotels are adapting to the market

Interesting it was just an outsider impression I sort of got of the industry maybe more so outside of large cities such as Dublin or Cork the sort of places you might see on Francis Brennan or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To suggest that booking direct is nearly always cheaper is far from the truth in my experience. Why would booking sites even exist if that were true.
    I have often seen same price direct and with other party but when one is dearer, I would say 95 percent of the time it's the direct option.

mickdw wrote: »
    To suggest that booking direct is nearly always cheaper is far from the truth in my experience. Why would booking sites even exist if that were true.
    I have often seen same price direct and with other party but when one is dearer, I would say 95 percent of the time it's the direct option.

I can only explain how our industry works and can tell you that you should always get the cheapest rate going direct. It makes sense as direct bookings carry no cost of commission for hotels so we can sell the room to the guest cheaper. you need to either ring the hotels directly or use their own website ( and make sure its their own website as customers can be easily fooled into thinking they are on a hotels official website but they arent )

I gave an example a few answers back on this thread about how to see what i was talking about so perhaps take a look at that later

Booking sites exist for convenience for the consumer. Booking sites such as booking.com spend excessive amounts of money each day on advertising, which is how they get bookings for hotel, which is why they charge hotels commission and how they make their money. thats why they exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Just curious, do you have a look at rooms, from time to time, to see how well kept/ maintained they are? Not you, necessarily, but someone.

One hotel we stay in regularly, you can actually see how well maintained it is, very clean paintwork (for example) in the rooms and in the public areas.
    Just get a sense there of someone actually checking over and above normal housekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Have to say I’m loving this thread it never occurred to me that people would be so curious!!

I’m technically a hotelier 😉 graduated GMIT ‘98 worked in Germany and literally every corner of Ireland DM C&BM FOM moved into FC as the hours are so much better!! (So is the pay btw)

Love hotels but the work life balance is ****E
    As a mammy I’d encourage my kids to get work experience in the industry because it’s literally life skills (bed making setting tables serving dinners or cooking them to say nothing of washup)

Done it all in 27 years of hotels would never want my kids to become “hoteliers” though it’s a hard life

So my questions are

if you had kids would you want them to follow you in to the industry
    how many female GMs do you know? I’ve never worked under a female GM (deputy yes and lots of female HODs)
    What do you think of weekly HOD meetings <<would love dearly to be able to present and run but always get stuck for the full hour 😫

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Just curious, do you have a look at rooms, from time to time, to see how well kept/ maintained they are? Not you, necessarily, but someone.

One hotel we stay in regularly, you can actually see how well maintained it is, very clean paintwork (for example) in the rooms and in the public areas.
    Just get a sense there of someone actually checking over and above normal housekeeping.

We do numerous checks on bedrooms. Accommodation supervisors will check the condition of all rooms on a daily basis and report any maintenance issues that require attention. The maintenance person will then attend to them on a priority basis first. We would also have a planned maintenance schedule for items such as touch up of paint in bedrooms, carpet cleaning, etc. As a GM i make it my business to be in each room at least once a month so i can check on levels of maintenance and cleanliness.

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Have to say I’m loving this thread it never occurred to me that people would be so curious!!

I’m technically a hotelier &#55357;&#56841; graduated GMIT ‘98 worked in Germany and literally every corner of Ireland DM C&BM FOM moved into FC as the hours are so much better!! (So is the pay btw)

Love hotels but the work life balance is ****E
    As a mammy I’d encourage my kids to get work experience in the industry because it’s literally life skills (bed making setting tables serving dinners or cooking them to say nothing of washup)

Done it all in 27 years of hotels would never want my kids to become “hoteliers” though it’s a hard life

So my questions are

if you had kids would you want them to follow you in to the industry
    how many female GMs do you know? I’ve never worked under a female GM (deputy yes and lots of female HODs)
    What do you think of weekly HOD meetings <<would love dearly to be able to present and run but always get stuck for the full hour &#55357;&#56875;

I have a teenager at home. I would have no problems with them having a part time job in a hotel to earn some money and to learn the exact skills that you listed. I do feel thats very important. Having said that - No i would probably not encourage them to go into the industry. I think there are much better career paths these days with better pay

I know quite a few and work with a good number of female GM's in the group.

Weekly meetings are important. Its good for team spirit and always useful to get the guys together and thrash things out. I wouldnt hold a meeting for an hour though. 20 mins tops. People lose interest after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

On one of the documentaries on a fancy London hotel, the GM stayed in the hotel once a week. They would choose a different room each week to see if anything could be done better for a paying guest.

Do you do this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement