Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

I saw Banacek reruns once in the 90s I think. Really like it. A show from the 70s that no one else seems to know. It starred George Peppard as an PI with polish heritage. There was always a crazy ‘Polish’ proverb in the show somewhere as well such as

A wise man never tries to warm himself in front of a painting of a fire
    or
    When the wolf is chasing your sleigh, toss him a raisin cookie but don't stop to bake him a cake.
    😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Skid X wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I remember all those well

All those logs in The Beachcombers, piled up in the river, seemingly never-ending!

Do I remember right on 'Dempsey's Den' or TheDen they used to flash 'Cult' or something like that during the opening title tune/intro?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

A few I remember on RTE

Swiss Family Robinson
    Simon and Simon
    Holmes and Yoyo

Saturday mornings- RTE 1, early 80s Salvage 1

Mrsmum wrote: »
    As a child I remember watching Skippy, the bush Kangaroo.

Did you also watch Salty the Sea lion- was on around the same period/era Skippy was shown
    Gemini man
    Man from atlantis

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Remember Alias Smith and Jones ?

It starred Ben Murphy who was also Gemini Man (a very underrated show that only had one season i think).
    Pete Duel, who played Hannibal Hayes committed suicide in 1971 RIP.

ASAJ was shown on RTE I think around late 70's early 80s- As a child I assumed this was an up to date show. Didn't realise till years later it was 10 years old by the time it was shown on RTE. Obviously being a wild west show, there were no cars or clothes to date it properly at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Saturdee - Australian children's drama set in the 1920s. Very good.
    RTE 1, Saturday mornings. 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Auto Man

Manimal

Streethawk

Otherworld (1985)... I doubt anyone remembers this. A family walk into a pyramid on holiday and end up on a parallel Earth. Short-lived. Axed after 8 episodes.

Earthfasts

Elidor

Children of the Stones

Moondial

Under the Mountain - New Zealand kids tackle monsters that can appear in human form

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bring 'Em Back Alive

I thought that show was a figment of my imagination.

They were always making lemon cordial

Danger Bay

Ocean Hellman was an adolescent crush of mine!

• Advertisement

Get Smart - the bumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart

LOVED this, and also The Henderson Kids and the Racoons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Manimal... that reminds me of show from similar era The Misfits of Science.

I think neither show lasted long after bring starts.
    Probably so expensive would have been better to do occasional once off TV movies.

I always confused Misfits of Science with the Edison Twins. Used to love the Edison Twins in primary school. Was shown on RTE 2 in the 80s I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Our Friends in the North was a very good drama series with Daniel Craig and Christopher Eccleston. No one ever seems to remember it when i mention it.
    Brilliant BBC drama, with yer wan who ended up in a wheelchair in Love Actually too.

A personal favourite was Gemini Man. Similar to the Invisible Man except the lead character (Sam something?) could control when he disappeared using his digital watch. But he could only stay invisible for 15 minutes or he'd die. Brilliant stuff!
    I remember crying myself to sleep when Mam warned me that the homework workload in 5th class was so heavy that I just wasn't going to be able to watch this.

1970s children's television (particularly the ITV stuff) was much deeper and scarier than now. I saw Children Of The Stones on HTV. Teatime at my friend's house. Very powerful. The Feathered Serpent was enjoyable too.
    And don't forget 'The Tomorrow People' about a group of young people who went through a traumatic 'coming out' phase to develop superpowers of teleportation. Loved the synth theme tune, ITVs response to Dr Who, I suppose

Anyone remember this? Sunday afternoons, late 70s... Just William

Tenko

Butterfly Island

I think only one or two seasons of this was ever made before it was canned. Was shown on RTE in early 80s but it's a 1970's production -Petrocelli

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Interbang on Children's Channel

Thought it was hilarious when I was 12

Anyone remember this? Sunday afternoons, late 70s... Just William

A very faithful adaptation of the books. Loved it. Worth watching again, Network released it on DVD.

Knightmare - virtual reality show set in a sort of medieval world - the height of technology at the time!

Knightmare truly was ahead of its time. Great show!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Follyfoot (with the forever crying Dora), a black and white dubbed thing I thought was called 'Sebastian' but an internet search seems to say 'Belle and Sebastian'. It had a nice theme tune, as had 'The White Horses'.

Bit of a horsey theme there.

I think only one or two seasons of this was ever made before it was canned. Was shown on RTE in early 80s but it's a 1970's production -Petrocelli

It starred Barry Newman.... The main character in the cult movie, Vanishing Point.

Trying to drive halfway across America in 24 hours with the cops in pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The Beverly Hillbillies.

The Sandbaggers. Yorkshire Television production. Espionage series - best I have seen ever. 1978-1980.

Public Eye. Alfred Burke as Frank Marker, down-at-heel enquiry agent. Serious gripping. Ran from 1965-1975. Repeated by UK Gold in the 1990s.

Shoestring. Eddie Shoestring, the "private ear" of Radio West.

The Real Ghostbusters - spin-off cartoon series from the first Ghostbusters film. The word Real was added to the title because there was a cartoon series called Ghostbusters from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bobby lingen

The Paper Chase, god I used to love that program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkMDvikGNM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

https://youtu.be/_oHpWw7L3d4

Loved that car back in the day. Now not so much.

branie2 wrote: »
    The Real Ghostbusters - spin-off cartoon series from the first Ghostbusters film. The word Real was added to the title because there was a cartoon series called Ghostbusters from the 70s.

Holy crap you're right. Even the intro has the same "Ghostbusters!" cheer as the movie theme tune

Everything about the Ghostbusters theme tune was a rip off, even the tune itself was a direct copy of Huey Lewis' I Want a New Drug

• Registered Users Posts: 37,450 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bless me, Father was a comedy I loved when I was young.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It starred Barry Newman.... The main character in the cult movie, Vanishing Point.

Trying to drive halfway across America in 24 hours with the cops in pursuit.

Yes, great movie- forgot about that.

And of course his TV wife Susan Howard went on to star in Dallas as Ray Krebb's wife.

Advertisement