Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outboards

• 01-01-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Okay so I've got a fiberglass boat around 15ft long and picked up a fairly big engine that i got cheap its a suzuki 60hp , i put it on the boat and the boat tipped back (too much weight) it fits the transom but no holes to line up with the mounting screws ,is this engine a no no ? Pics of boat and engine included
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Way to big by the looks of that boat. Probably looking at 25-30 for that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mickboy21

neris wrote: »
    Way to big by the looks of that boat. Probably looking at 25-30 for that size.

Will she just sink wirh that 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Mickboy21 wrote: »
    Will she just sink wirh that 😂😂

When you add the gas tank it will!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

That boat was never designed for an engine that size. You would be on a suicide mission. Too much power, the boat couldn't handle it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s definitely in the Jeremy Clarkson category of engine size/boat ratio i.e. way too big!

Ideal size for that boat would be about 15-20hp, 25-30hp and you are definitely at the upper end of the safety scale.

• Advertisement

as the saying goes...''I think we need a bigger boat''!

nokiatom wrote: »
    That boat was never designed for an engine that size. You would be on a suicide mission. Too much power, the boat couldn't handle it

I see , its not intended to go at speed just to drive out mabey 100ft or a bit more off the harbour and sit there fishing ,, there will be a few of us in the boat , we sat it up on the transom it does fit but I'm afraid of it breaking with the engine vibrations

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The transom wont be rated for that size motor and the forces it will put on it so could easily snap the transom off. If you can find a makers name on the boat you will be able to look up what it's rated for, I would say 15 - 20 hp.

With that size engine and three or four people on the stern of the boat I would be worried about stability too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP
    Have a look in adverts and DD at boats like your own.
    Take note of the engines with them that will confirm what others are saying ie. the engine is too big for your boat.

All is not lost.
    If your engine is a runner you should be able to sell/swap it for something more suitable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just on another note, towing the boat on the road with that size engine will also cause a lot of stress on the transom one bump could multiply the weight of the engine and the motion is like bending a piece of metal back and forth so before you head out again just check along the top of the transom and in the corners for cracks.

transom_crack_leftside_071810_zpsbj3ig6ie.jpg

Just taken this photo of a similar sized boat, with an (old) 40hp on it, which looks about upper limit size for that size boat.

its not intended to go at speed. there will be a few of us in the boat

It would only take 1 moment of someone leaning/falling on the throttle, or even messing, with the engine turned either side of centre, for everyone on the boat to be taking an instant dip in the sea, while a 60hp engine going in circles tries to grind everyone up as fish food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It would only take 1 moment of someone leaning/falling on the throttle, or even messing, with the engine turned either side of centre, for everyone on the boat to be taking an instant dip in the sea, while a 60hp engine going in circles tries to grind everyone up as fish food!!
    Jesus, please tell me the OP was planning on having (and using) a kill cord :eek::eek:

I know next to nothing about motor boats, but even to my eye putting an engine that size, weight and power on a boat that size would be nuts.

elperello wrote: »
    OP
    Have a look in adverts and DD at boats like your own.
    Take note of the engines with them that will confirm what others are saying ie. the engine is too big for your boat.

All is not lost.
    If your engine is a runner you should be able to sell/swap it for something more suitable.

Thanks lads appreciate it hope to swap her down to max 30

fergal.b wrote: »
    Just on another note, towing the boat on the road with that size engine will also cause a lot of stress on the transom one bump could multiply the weight of the engine and the motion is like bending a piece of metal back and forth so before you head out again just check along the top of the transom and in the corners for cracks.

transom_crack_leftside_071810_zpsbj3ig6ie.jpg

Since were talking transoms here, how can they be reinforced ?ive seen a plank of wood clamped on some

Does anyone know of a place i can bring the boat to have it looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Does anyone know of a place i can bring the boat to have it looked at

If you post your location and what you want done to the boat it will help.

By the way if you look at Andy's pic above you will note that the boat has two engines. One big, one small. That is a good set up if you are venturing out to sea.
    Alternative means of propulsion is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thanks lads appreciate it hope to swap her down to max 30

If the engine is good, it'd be a better idea to swap the boat for something a bit bigger

Then you could have a second small engine to get you home

( or unscrew and throw over the side as an anchor if you are being washed near rocks - better than nothing )

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    If you post your location and what you want done to the boat it will help.

By the way if you look at Andy's pic above you will note that the boat has two engines. One big, one small. That is a good set up if you are venturing out to sea.
    Alternative means of propulsion is always a good idea.

Bray area, i just want someone thats knows what there at to look it over and tell me if it needs any repairs or so before taking it out

gctest50 wrote: »
    If the engine is good, it'd be a better idea to swap the boat for something a bit bigger

Then you could have a second small engine to get you home

( or unscrew and throw over the side as an anchor if you are being washed near rocks - better than nothing )

Ya reckon it be easier to swap the boat?

It'd be better if there is a few of ye

Since were talking transoms here, how can they be reinforced ?ive seen a plank of wood clamped on some

Most of quick fixes like that just spread the load to another part of the boat.

One boat I did had a stainless steel plate across the transom.

11720282_10202996404709423_466350360_o_zpsxmshxk8u.jpg

But it was just covering up the mess underneath when I removed it and the fiberglass.

11722384_10203049826644938_6964888552019399921_o_zpsmp6yyjg8.jpg

I had to cut off the back of the boat to remove all the bad wood.

20150714_175524_zpsazrbqs7c.jpg

20150725_151503_zpsh5qh5ldy.jpg

It was quite a big job "not saying that yours is built the same way" but you should not need to reinforce your transom with anything they are built to that spec for a reason not just the strength of the transom but also the stability and handling.

20150813_190050_zpspnxjqhh8.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    Most of quick fixes like that just spread the load to another part of the boat.

One boat I did had a stainless steel plate across the transom.

11720282_10202996404709423_466350360_o_zpsxmshxk8u.jpg

But it was just covering up the mess underneath when I removed it and the fiberglass.

11722384_10203049826644938_6964888552019399921_o_zpsmp6yyjg8.jpg

I had to cut off the back of the boat to remove all the bad wood.

20150714_175524_zpsazrbqs7c.jpg

20150725_151503_zpsh5qh5ldy.jpg

It was quite a big job "not saying that yours is built the same way" but you should not need to reinforce your transom with anything they are built to that spec for a reason not just the strength of the transom but also the stability and handling.

20150813_190050_zpspnxjqhh8.jpg

That is a very impressive build ,well done fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Inquiry....would a 3.5 hp outboard be strong enough on a 10 foot rib..I would be carrying 2 adult and 2 kids in it..would anyone know please

butrasgali wrote: »
    Inquiry....would a 3.5 hp outboard be strong enough on a 10 foot rib..I would be carrying 2 adult and 2 kids in it..would anyone know please
    Is it a rib or a rubber dinghy? Would you be using it on the sea r a river or lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Not sure would you call it a rib..it has a fixed transom and a solid floor and the rollers for transport to the water

• Advertisement

is the solid floor made from fibreglass, and V shaped, like this;

PR300.jpg

or is the solid floor just wooden slats, like this;

zodiac-inflatable-dinghy-tender-boat-wooden-floor.jpg
    41blkTkn2yL.jpg

either way, a 3.5HP engine would most likely move you alright, just very slowly.

Advertisement