Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goals for 2019?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    Is there an interim marathon goal? :)

to show up :pac::pac:

Ah no to be honest, I think 2.50 or thereabouts is on if things go well between now and then J. Still a fair bit of water to pass under the bridge so I'll call it a little closer to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Duanington wrote:
    Oh...and show up to a marathon

And actually book it in time......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I had loftier goals than the ones listed below, but I’ve gone a bit backwards in my running lately, so I’ve decided on some more realistic aims for 2019.

I don’t have any overarching running goals for 2019 - my next big goal is sub 2 for a half and I think that’s a couple of years away, so 2019 will be spent getting quicker over the shorter distances in the first half of the year with DCM being the focus for the second half of the year.

Time goals:

5k - sub 25
    5mile - sub 44
    10k - sub 56
    Marathon - sub 4:30

If I race a half: sub 2:04

Ancillary goals:

Run an average of seven hours a week. I’ll have averaged about six for 2018, so it might be a bit of a stretch goal, but it should be a good motivator.

Pilates - twice a week for three months and then review.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I’d like to run 3,000kms next year, after doing over 2,600 this year. I had some good PBs over the last twelve months over the 10k, half and marathon distances. I did a 13 week P90x strength program early this year and I’m going to do the same again. I’m going to focus on doing a fast 10k in the first half of the year, and will then see if I’m in the humour for having a go at another marathon after that.

Generally, I want to try to do some different races this year, so with that in mind I WILL NOT sign up for either the Limerick half or the Valencia marathon. I’d also like to have a crack at some of the other parkruns around Ireland.

I picked the below goals using the McMillan calculator based on a 5k pb of 17:59.

Distance|Current PB|Goal
    5k|18:11|17:59
    5 mile|29:57|29:49
    10k|37:36|37:21
    10 mile|1:03:07|1:02:25
    Half Marathon|1:24:27|1:23:16
    Marathon|2:59:09|2:55:14

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Enter a race.

I know I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

800m pb 2.08, currently at 2.20

5k pb in winter 19.02

Run a lot more...build up to say 40mpw..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

That time of the year already :)

I've a couple of non specific targets;
    - clean up my diet outside of marathon training blocks! Im not that bad, but could definitely cut down/out sugary drinks.
    - introduce s&c into my training. Have started already so will hopefully reap a few rewards here.
    - more sleep (alas, I fear this one may be wishful thinking.....)

Race Specific Targets;

Marathon: Sub 2:50 (PB 2:58:01)
    Looking like Dublin, but Berlin still could be a runner. Weighing up a couple of alternative entry routes & will decide one way or the other pretty soon. Either way hoping to give 2:50 a good rattle.

Half Marathon: Sub 79 (PB 1:19:59)
    Aiming for Limerick in May for first go at this.

10 Mile: Sub 60 (PB 60:33)

10k: Sub 37 (PB 38:50ish)
    Ran a 37:15 split in Frank Duffy in September, so will hopefully get under 37mins first and then maybe set another target.

5 Mile: Sub 28:30 (PB 29:51)
    Raheny. January. Target.

5k: Run a decent 5k race at some stage in the next 12 months........really, that would do me. Don't really like the distance but I know there are a lot of benefits to racing over it.

36:51 10k in Caragh today. One down...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

36:51 10k in Caragh today. One down...... :)

Jeez, that was quick!! I'd say you'll be knocking a few chunks off some of those alright. That 10k time still looks a small bit soft. The HM time suggests nearer 36 flat I believe. Later in the year, nice course and field.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

After a few years away from regular running I have no huge ambitions this year.

Run Parkrun every 2nd week.
    Wicklow mountain challenge 10k in March.
    Forrest marathon 10k

That's it, no time targets, just get through it all.

Aside from that I have big enough ambitions in martial arts after a fantastic 2018 and I want to shift 8kg over the course of the next 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I debated about setting goals and targets for 2019 but mainly I want to beat my current PBs which are:

5km: 24:32
    Parkrun: 25:25 (Ballincollig)
    5M: 40:50
    10km: 53:47 (from a training run as opposed to a race)
    10M: 1:31:12
    HM: 1:58:44
    Marathon: 4:20:05

I’m not going to set particular targets as I want to just chip away at the above PBs and I’m not really one for big PBs. I want to train sensibly and consistently and I’ll get there.

I also want to run minimum 1500 miles.
    December 30th: Togher 5km: 24:32 PB (previous 24:45)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not really sure what's ahead for me in 2019. Think it will be more or less the same as 2018!
    1. Really do want to work on reducing my times this year, in particular for 5kms. My average times have reduced over the years. But I feel I want to put a bit of work into it this year. Want to see a lot more runs in the 30 mins and races to be sub 30.
    2. Hoping to get closer to 60 mins for a 10km - but that will only follow on from no 1 above. I feel I haven't got a fair crack at a 10km in forever.
    3. I've scratched the itch that was half marathons. Glad to get 2 completed in 2018. Not going to be rushing into doing another one in 2019 but I'll not rule them out either, just haven't planned for any. If himself is doing Tullamore I might do it with him again. If the Athlone Flatline is resurrected I'll do that.
    4. Mileage? Dunno. As I dunno really what I'm doing this year I aim for 900km.
    5. Am going to try and do more strength and conditioning from home. I'm in a fitness group and it's good but I found that I was only really able to go once a fortnight which is not near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Question first, is there a sub 3-30 marathon advice thread?

Goals.
    44 year old male, running since last March, average 20-25 miles per week. Furthest run to date is a half marathon by myself, training run and just kept going, time was 1:42.
    5k best is 20:11, I’d like to get that down to under 19.
    10k best is 43:25, I’d be happy to beat 42 mins.
    I think a half marathon goal could be about 1:38

Now the big one, I’ve signed up for Dublin, it’ll be my first and only this year, I’m confidently telling anybody that asks that I think under 3:30 is very achievable,

I think I might post on this forum a bit as I’m very much a solo practitioner, I don’t want any pals to run with but the support of a group of like minded randomers would be nice,

Anyway, I haven’t found that sub 3:30 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The marathon Novices thread opens up later in the year when the DCM blocks start. Usually with a mentor from these parts.

Don't think there's a 3.30 thread. There's a sub 4 thread and a marathon improvers thread.

You could also set up a training log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Get back up to 10 miles for the long run of the week

Beat 51 mins in the DLR Bay 10km (the only 10km race I usually do)

Get a sub 2 in the race series HM (best is 2:00:00)

Run the whole of the Dublin marathon (had a to walk a bit last time) - that should get me in around 4:30 but I don't care about the time really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If I can clock another sub 2:50 in London I'll be delighted. Would be super delighted with a sub 2:45 but as previously I think that might be asking too much of my training budget, think I was on schedule for somewhere between the two last year before I got struck down with the flu. I'll need the weather gods to be kind and all the stars to align perfectly for either to happen. If I can get around with a safe sub 3 and no hypoglycemia for a change then I'll be content enough knowing that GFA would be secured again.

Second target for a bit later in the year is to attempt to clock 100 miles in 24 hours. That is very weather dependant though as this attempt will be on a cross country type course where we've have torrential downpours and heatwaves in previous years when I've done the team relay version of the event.

Third target, and by far the most difficult, will be to get the kid to understand the concept of laps before their 4th birthday so that we can get them around one of the parkrun or junior parkrun events without them ducking into the finish chute at the end of lap 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

This year, rather than having a well defined series of goals, target times, "must do races" and arbitrary mileage totals, I have just one goal. Get back in the habit of running regularly. I've fallen off the wagon in the last few months and its starting to show now - I've put on weight, my energy levels are low and tbh my mood is low as well and the attitude is poor. I'm going to start by rebuilding a base and see where it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Question first, is there a sub 3-30 marathon advice thread?

Goals.
    44 year old male, running since last March, average 20-25 miles per week. Furthest run to date is a half marathon by myself, training run and just kept going, time was 1:42.
    5k best is 20:11, I’d like to get that down to under 19.
    10k best is 43:25, I’d be happy to beat 42 mins.
    I think a half marathon goal could be about 1:38

Now the big one, I’ve signed up for Dublin, it’ll be my first and only this year, I’m confidently telling anybody that asks that I think under 3:30 is very achievable,

I think I might post on this forum a bit as I’m very much a solo practitioner, I don’t want any pals to run with but the support of a group of like minded randomers would be nice,

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057743907/1

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

1st time back looking in the A&R forum for a few years.

Back running small distances since the end of the summer following 5 years away from running. Ran 450km over the last few months; distances ranging from 5km to 10km. All at a comfortable pace, and I've tried to run on mountain trails as much as possible so getting plenty of hills in.

Really enjoying the running again so going to try aim to get in a few Park Runs at a minimum over the next few months. Don't think I'm ready for any races for at least another 6 months. Still way off my pace/distances from previously.

Main goals for the year are to go sub 20 for 5km which should hopefully be doable (ran it in 22:20 this evening at steady comfortable pace), and then to try get up to 1/2 marathon distance again (this used be my favourite distance to race).

I kept up the cycling over the last few years and intend on hitting 5000km cycling this year also, but I'm planning on splitting my activities 50/50 between cycling/running for 2019 and reckon I should be able to balance both to get the most out of each.

Happy to be back running, and hopefully it stays being enjoyable for the year!

Best of luck to all with your own personal running goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Only running about seven months and the aim is to beat 20 minutes on a 5k. My current times are 20:43 for a 5km and 43:59 for a 10km. Hopefully we hit the magic 19.59 this year.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Haul my fat ass around a 26.2 mile tour of London in April, hopefully under 5 hours.

Lose some weight - I'm a lot heavier than I was before kids! Size 16 running shorts aren't a good look.

100 parkruns t-shirt - I'm on 95 now. V25 too, I'm on 12 and I'm pacing at South Manchester parkrun with one of the kids in the buggy this weekend. Help hubby with Super Secret New Parkrun Setup too.

Don't get injured.

Dont let my iron levels drop low again.

Encourage any toddler interest in running with mama, he already has a little pair of blue Asics just like daddy! He's 3 in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this, but for now my main goals for 2019 are:

1. Join a club. Don't wimp out :o
    2. Race more - I only did 6 races in 2018 and I'd like to get more used to racing. I'll say minimum of 10.

Not a goal as such but my focus is going to be on 5k and up to 10k. I have a mental block about the 5k and I want to get over it. More races and park runs will hopefully help. With that in mind...

3. Sub 23 5k (currently 23:23)
    4. And I'll throw this one in too even though I'm not positive I'll race the distance: sub 1:45 half marathon.

Realistically I might scrap no. 4 as my real goal is a sub 1:40 half and that's further away than this year. I'm not planning a HM in the first half of the year anyway so I'm only putting it down here as something to think about later.

5. Have fun with it all! No marathon this year, no big looming gremlin, so a chance to play around with things a bit. Maybe try a mile race, if the timing works out.... Basically just enjoy running, and hopefully do some of it faster than last year.

Right, that'll do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sticking to the long stuff again, it's a lot easier knocking out easy paced 100 mile weeks than speed sessions and hill reps!

1) Connemarathon Ultra - sub 6 hours. My first attempt.
    2) Belfast 24hr - 100 miles +
    3)100k, sub 10h. Probably Windschoten in Sept.
    3) Kerry Way Ultra - to finish in the time limit
    4) Marathon - 3:15 (currently 3:25). Probably Valencia in Dec.

Jeez, updating this already. On the basis that I'll have the miles in my legs and be injury free, I've signed up to the Kerry Way Ultra in September. Goal is to finish, which will hopefully open entry to some other tasty trail ultras for 2020...really happier off-road, it's what running was intended for!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Jesus, loads of Goals already...

Pretty much the same as last year, don't get injured, don't get injured....

As regards specifics :-

1. A few more foreign (outside Dublin) Parkrun's.
    2. Run at lease one of the above in under 20m.
    3. Raheny 5, anything around 36 and I will be delighted, given that the training at the moment is very patchy.
    4. Sub 69min 10Mile (Probably the Battle of Clontarf in April).
    5. Sub 1:33 half, the days of sub 1:30 are well and truly gone :(

6. DCM - the big question, initially I was just going to enjoy the run, but given that coach won the first DCM 40 years ago, most of the club will be running in October. Based on that, the training groups should be pretty strong, so ill see how things are in June. Ran 3:13 back in 2017, so 1 minute faster and id be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

It would be nice to go under 21 minutes for 5K,usually get close once or twice a year only. PB is the very low 21's for years. I might get the chance again this year,maybe. But find it harder to push myself through the stress barrier than I used to and 5K is a race where you are under pressure straight away.

Maybe better my marathon pb of 3'59. I am 'on form' a much faster runner than 3'59 would suggest,but have had IT Band problems for longer than I can remember and it becomes a problem over longer distances.

I'd also love to reach 50 Parkruns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Stay injury free
    Stay injury free
    Stay injury free

That is it ha. Well getting back to where I was would be nice, and on towards 15.30 5k and sub4 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bothebear

Run a half-marathon.

Hit 50 parkruns by year-end (currently at 22).

Break my 5k PB (currently stands at 22:30).

Do a couple of adventure races / Duathlons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Timmaay wrote: »
    Stay injury free
    Stay injury free
    Stay injury free

That is it ha. Well getting back to where I was would be nice, and on towards 15.30 5k and sub4 15.

I had avoided setting for goals for that reason but 2018 was the first year since I started which was (mostly) uninterrupted by injury or illness and that meant I topped 2,000 miles for the first time. So, I'll do some goals for 2019 - mostly track and xc and more confident of 800m-3k targets, as I may not get to run the longer distances.

Distance|Goal
    800m|<2:01
    1500m|<4:10
    3k|<9:10
    5k|<16:00
    HM|<76:00
    Competition|Goal
    Road Relays|Team Medal
    National Masters T&F|Individual Medal
    Dublin Novice|Top 10
    Dublin Intermediate|Top 8
    National Novice|Top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Impressive times right there, good luck saskian.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Better set some goals for this year which are fairly straightforward - PB's at 5k, 10k and HM

5K PB is 17:48 from Castlepollard in 2015. Realistically it will be the tail end of the year before I can get close - maybe Jingle Bells

HM - PB is 1:28:17 from Bohermeen in 2015. Would like to think I can dip under this in Bohermeen in March.

10k - PB is 38:16 Run With Catherina 2016: Would like to have a good crack at this either in Dunshaughlin or the Race Series 10k.

Club: Aim is to medal at 3,000 at T&F Counties and Masters Cross-country. Both achievable but obviously dependent on who shows up on the day.

Other than that - hit 2,000miles for the year. If I hit that should be close to hitting all the other targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Some targets to chase throughout the year

Distance|Current PB|Target
    Marathon| 3:14:55|3:12:00
    Half|1:31:30|1:29:59
    10 Miles|68:13|67:30
    10k|40:58|40:00
    5 Miles|33:07|32:00
    5K|19:44|19:00

Last year I managed 1850 miles, this was across 2 marathon blocks.. I'd be happy to hit in excess of 1500 miles as I may not be doing a marathon this year.
    Main goal is as far under 1:30 for a half marathon

Advertisement