Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hmm... Mets/Nats in London next year... Who wants to go? :) Anyone know how you might get tickets for the game without getting ripped off on 'fees'?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/09/mets-could-be-playing-in-london-in-2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hmm... Mets/Nats in London next year... Who wants to go? :) Anyone know how you might get tickets for the game without getting ripped off on 'fees'?

Gonna see how this year's series plays out (forgive the pun) before I decide on next year.

Just have a feeling it won't be a success

Gonna see how this year's series plays out (forgive the pun) before I decide on next year.

Just have a feeling it won't be a success

• Getting sick of this off-season. Nothing of note happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Kyler Murray is now fully committed to playing in the NFL. Not a great look for MLB.

• Advertisement

Giants are allegedly favourites to sign Harper now.

• Giants are allegedly favourites to sign Harper now.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already.
    From what I've read, they have a shockingly poor farm system, so they need to make some big signings to be competitive again. Otherwise they'll struggle to contend for quite a while

Getting sick of this off-season. Nothing of note happening :(

Judging by the things have been trending this kind of slow Off Season will become the new norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Giants are allegedly favourites to sign Harper now.

They’re talking short term deals though which he won’t go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Something like 3 years for 120 million

• Advertisement

I think this is the trend that players will have to adopt to. Too many clubs have been burned by 10 year, $200+ million contracts. I'm nearly certain Mariners would still have Diaz if they didn't have to try and dump Cano's salary (for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Rumours today that Bryce has decided his team .Im gonna say hell be in a san diego uniform on opening day.

Rumours today that Bryce has decided his team .Im gonna say hell be in a san diego uniform on opening day.

Take with a pinch of salt until something more concrete comes out

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/1097180758706454533

10 years, $310 is the latest.

Padres have offered 8 years/240 million to Machado. They have also offered Harper a contract.

Mike Moustakas is finally off the board. Gone to the Brewers, one year at ten million dollars

Reported that the padres and manny machado have agreed a deal .

Reported that the padres and manny machado have agreed a deal .
    Ten years for 300 million the reports are saying

ShyMets wrote: »
    Ten years for 300 million the reports are saying

...with an opt-out after 5.

So Harper to sign for $301m within the hour then?

Apparently white sox offered him 10 years at 350 million .wonder what the attraction with san diego was besides the good weather .Chicago looks better set to contend than the padres .

• Advertisement

Apparently white sox offered him 10 years at 350 million .wonder what the attraction with san diego was besides the good weather .Chicago looks better set to contend than the padres .
    Padres have a seriously good farm system. Yes, they'll be poor this year. But in a couple more years they should be Postseason containers for a number of years

Padres have a seriously good farm system. Yes, they'll be poor this year. But in a couple more years they should be Postseason containers for years to come

It's gas even saying it but it's all Monopoly money at that stage. What's the difference between $300m and $350m..!!!

I'm sure quality of life and as ShyMets says, a team that will probably contend in a couple of years comes into it. Whether his ego and getting a bigger deal than Harper does, I don't know.

It's gas even saying it but it's all Monopoly money at that stage. What's the difference between $300m and $350m..!!!

I'm sure quality of life and as ShyMets says, a team that will probably contend in a couple of years comes into it. Whether his ego and getting a bigger deal than Harper does, I don't know.

It's crazy money. The idea of giving someone 300 million for ten years contract I find astounding. Surely the max contract length any team should offer is five and that should depend on the age profile of the player

Apparently only $250 million was guaranteed from the White Sox, the rest was all incentives. The $250 million over 8 years.

Jed Lowrie of the Mets going for an MRI. I wonder, first MRI in ML this season? Woohoo.

Jed Lowrie of the Mets going for an MRI. I wonder, first MRI in ML this season? Woohoo.

And so it begins. The first of many for the Mets medical team to deal with if previous years are to go by.

And so it begins. The first of many for the Mets medical team to deal with if previous years are to go by.
    60 day DL in 3...2...1... Just kidding!

On the good side of this, that good looking rookie from last year, McNeil, probably is back to playing the infield. Wasn't sure why they acquired Lowrie (for a lot of $$ btw, like $10m/year for 2 years), with McNeil looking serviceable at least.

And, of course, there's no diagnosis yet so the sky hasn't fallen so far.

60 day DL in 3...2...1... Just kidding!

If this happened during the season, they'll make him day to day for a week or so wasting a roster spot, then eventually move him to the IL (DL is now called Injury List as not to be disrespectful to disabled people apparently).

• Advertisement

White Sox and Nationals both saying they are out on Harper. Which of course means he’ll sign with one of them.

Advertisement