Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gallagher Premiership 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wasps 7-20 Glaws

Interesting for both Leinster and Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hilarious try for harlequins there. Always wanted to see that happen from a penalty kick.

Delighted it was against Saracens too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hilarious try for harlequins there. Always wanted to see that happen from a penalty kick.

What a catch, in fairness. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What is this you are referring to? Got a link?

What is this you are referring to? Got a link?

Penalty off the posts led to a quins try

Its on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Didn't even hit the posts, it seems.

Wind caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Delighted that Saracens won. Billy Vunipola actually told the referee that he had knocked on in act of 'scoring' a try in the first half and referee did not go to TMO. How many other players in the game today would have done that?
    Looks like it will be Saracens and Exeter battling it out for the title in May. Both sides a class apart from the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Advertisement

Power cut at the rec. Ref Mic and TMO not working.

Bath 0-0 Sale at half time. Inspiring stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Power cut at the rec. Ref Mic and TMO not working.

And that is the highlight of the first half.
    Bath 0 v Sale 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Finished 7-7

#ItsThePro14sFault

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Finished 7-7

#ItsThePro14sFault

There was nothing at all on show for Leinster to be worried about. Though they can't be that bad next week. I think w can expect the match to be played on a very heavy pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Except the Premiership can just change their regulations with the stroke of a pen and make all these players eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was nothing at all on show for Leinster to be worried about. Though they can't be that bad next week. I think w can expect the match to be played on a very heavy pitch.

The weather was really truly awful so I wouldn't take that performance as what we'll get next week, but there was some dire rugby played.

The Rec looks like it'll still be in bits by next week, the pitch was in bad shape by the end of today's game. Unless it's dry for a couple straight days next week it'll be a bog.

Except the Premiership can just change their regulations with the stroke of a pen and make all these players eligible.

How would that work with European Cup and Work Visa's though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How would that work with European Cup and Work Visa's though

No one knows what the visa situation will be.

The European cup’s rules won’t be a problem though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wouldn't this affect Welsh and Scottish teams in the Pro14 as well?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

troyzer wrote: »
    Wouldn't this affect Welsh and Scottish teams in the Pro14 as well?

Would it affect Ulster?

Would it affect Ulster?

Good Friday agreement terms might cover that

Would it affect Ulster?

Good Friday agreement terms might cover that

Yeah it would. Worst case scenario they'd have to get Irish passports if they didn't already have one which they're entitled to by birth.

I'm surprised that we're only three months from this and this is the first time somebody in the media has raised the alarm.

There's an update on the article which says that the RFU have changed the rule to maintain the status quo to the end of the season. Nothing beyond that.

Are we actually looking at a scenario where the British teams will be forfeiting European games come March? They'll need an EPCR rule change to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Franno's article this week is a good one.
    He says that the premiership is a 2 horse race and that the rest are way back.
    He also mentions the influx of foreign players and in his opinion it detracts from the English game.
    Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. Apparently, there's chatter to bring in Martin Johnson.
    All in all the standard of the premiership is poor. Franno thinks the Leinster seconds would beat most of them.

The rfu have lost the plot imo. Wasps are on the edge of bankruptcy and several teams are in the red.
    The players are flogged week in, week out. How the rfu turns it around is anyone's guess. They have recently laid off staff and it looks bleak.

Brexit may make things worse in the short term. Who knows how sterling is going to fare. I assume foreign players would have a tougher time getting work visas. Although I have no clue how Brexit will affect the rfu, I think it will probably be detrimental to begin with.

How are these clubs able to exist if the majority are financially insolvent? I think the rfu should have sought investors, with the rfu maintaining control of the clubs.
    The player welfare is awful. It's nuts.

That said, the IRFU look like business zen matters compared to the rfu. It will be a sad day for rugby if the Wasps fold. I never thought I'd see this day.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    He also mentions the influx of foreign players and in his opinion it detracts from the English game.
    Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. Apparently, there's chatter to bring in Martin Johnson.
    All in all the standard of the premiership is poor. Franno thinks the Leinster seconds would beat most of them.

The rfu have lost the plot imo. Wasps are on the edge of bankruptcy and several teams are in the red.
    The players are flogged week in, week out. How the rfu turns it around is anyone's guess. They have recently laid off staff and it looks bleak.

Brexit may make things worse in the short term. Who knows how sterling is going to fare. I assume foreign players would have a tougher time getting work visas. Although I have no clue how Brexit will affect the rfu, I think it will probably be detrimental to begin with.

How are these clubs able to exist if the majority are financially insolvent? I think the rfu should have sought investors, with the rfu maintaining control of the clubs.

That said, the IRFU look like business zen matters compared to the rfu. It will be a sad day for rugby if the Wasps fold. I never thought I'd see this day.

It'll probably take a few teams like Wasps to go bankrupt and let the Premiership be populated by championship teams and lower who to date have relied on acadmies rather than foreign imports.

Hopefully it would then become part of the culture.

The fear of course is that this is how Exeter got to the top but now they're splashing out on players like Hogg.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the majority of your post assumes the RFU have any kind of control over clubs.... in reality the have little if none.... and both union and clubs in england are pulling in different directions and have different priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. .

Franno with the early scoop as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for Wasps.

Borrowed a **** ton of money to build a team at probably the least sustainable moment in rugby history.

Advertisement