Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blindboy Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Blindboys Grandad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

I was just listening to the 'The Driver Theory Test' episode. At one point he said people go to primary school from ages 7 to 12.

7? What?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I presume he's counting the 1st till 6th classes where it's more regular school, rather than including infants classes.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think I'll ever get sick of the 2FM DJ voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

Went to see him live for the first time last week in Vicar street. Interview with Damien Dempsey.

If you are a fan of the podcasts, definitely check his live shows out.

The guy is a class act - just wish I discovered him earlier.

How did Blindboy Boatclub & Mr Chome get their nicknames?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's pretty impressive how he can conjure up pretty catchy songs out of nothing.

Does anyone think it's hypocritical that he talks about mental health, but has advertised alcohol products on his podcast?

Only listen to about 40% of his output but don't Acast choose the ads based on the demographic of the listener rather than anything to do with the host or the show? As in if you are listening to it you would probably hear different adverts than I do based on your own browsing history? I would not blame that on him at all. He was once freaked out that Acast advertised careers in the British Army on his show. Though I thought it was hilarious.

Or do you mean he mentions the occasional drink on his show by name? I am not sure he is being sponsored for that. But either way there is nothing particularly against "mental health" in using or discussing the use of alcohol or weed etc. Certainly nothing hypocritical. In fact he has discussed how to maintain a healthy relationship with - or recognise if you do not have a healthy relationship with - such substances - and thus when to avoid them.

I would say his approach to alcohol and weed and such things is the mental health analogy to the old food phrase "Use as part of a balanced diet".

• Advertisement

No I mean he literally has advertised alcohol on his podcast using his own voice and says that it's an advertisement with that voice. Telling people to try it. Would you say he's responsible for that, or is that Acast?

I reckon people who have substance abuse issues who naturally warmed to his podcast for the mental health talk would beg to differ on the issue of hypocrisy. He could choose to say no to the advertising from an alcohol company on those grounds, but I guess the money is good 💰💲.

I mean, basically you're saying:

1) It was Acast, how can he be blamed?

And

2) There's nothing wrong with advertising alcohol on a largely mental health based podcast anyway

🤨🙄

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Hence the disclaimer at the start where I said I only listen to 40% of his output. I genuinely have not heard him do that. Interesting - I thought he avoided doing any advertising inside his podcast. Could you link me to the episode? Would not mind hearing that myself.

People with mental health issues and substance issues are as eligible to "beg to differ" as the next person. But their having issues places no onus on any podcaster anywhere - regardless of their topic - to include or exclude any topic at all. In fact I would less connect with his output on mental health issues myself if he was not so open about how and when he uses such things and when not. He spoke in one episode about noticing how his relationship with alcohol was turning negative - how he realised that - and how he reacted to it.

As I said - mental health talk does not preclude any substance. Quite the opposite at times. What I have heard of his discussions of alcohol and other substances so far has been quite responsible and informative in that he talks a lot about how to recognise if your relationship with them is not healthy. Even before they become an actual problem in your life.

It was a few episodes back earlier this year, I haven't caught up to recent episodes yet as I listen to them in order. I only listen when washing the dishes so I'm never up to date.

White Claw is the brand, from memory.

Ah ok. Well as I said I see nothing particularly hypocritical about discussing Mental Health and discussing - or even selling - alcohol. At all - but especially so if it is generally done in an informative and responsible fashion where the subject of alcohol is treated well. Which I think he generally does.

More than that I can't really say without hearing the actual content in question though. So if you find it let me know. Or if you remember anything at all about the episode in question I might be able to work it out myself.

Listening to "13 steps I use to manage anxiety".

Still pushing the White Claw alcohol.

No conflict of interest there.

Good lad, BB.

For those still in denial, do I need to extract the clip to bring you to your senses? 😂 I look forward to the wall of meaningless text.

How did they come up with the name, 'The Rubber Bandits'?

Who is "in denial" exactly? I was the only person who even entertained your post enough to bother replying to it - and rather than "denial" I essentially said "I am not aware of this and I can not really say more that generalities until I hear it myself". How is that denial?

No need to extract audio. Just mention the title and general time stamp. I flicked through the episode you mentioned using the 15 second jump button. Might have missed any mention of "White Claw" but didn't find it.

Pre-labeling replies as "meaningless text" is pretty crass and just shows you are invested in your own take on the matter to the point you have no interest in hearing anyone else's.

Again I see no conflict between promoting mental health and discussing or even promoting alcohol. Especially someone who speaks coherently on the responsible use of alcohol - and methodologies of noticing unhealthy use. What is the actual problem? Is there one?

In fact if they are an actual active sponsor - fair play to a brand for sponsoring a podcast which won't sit around saying how great the product is - but is actually a podcast saying he "completely reevaluated his relationship with alcohol" because it exacerbated his mental health issues during the pandemic.

I just listened to the 'Speaking about Anxiety with a Psychology Professor' episode. BB mentioned that his dad died when BB was 20. Geez, that was tough. :(

I thoroughly enjoyed the 'Speaking about Anxiety with a Psychology Professor' episode. 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought he needed an alcohol sponsor for they type of show he runs. Is he not making enough money as it is?

• Advertisement

God I have no idea? I am not at all privy to his finances :) I hardly know all that much about the guy except that I use his mental health podcasts as a resource to help others sometimes. I do not follow any of his fiction - his twitch out put - or his art podcasts.

Others probably know what a work of fiction for a "best seller" brings in in Ireland - and a podcast on acast with no sponsors. They'd be his main sources of income that I know of? I remember him saying he got a whole 250euro for Horse Outside or similar. There is some income to be had on Twitch but I have never watched him on it really so can't estimate what he is pulling off that. Especially as Bezo's takes 50% of every subscription on that platform.

He did at the start of Covid cancel a show in the UK before the government there offered any compensation for shows cancelled due to Covid. He called it before the government did. The bill he would have been stuck with for doing that would not have been small. I'd say he took quite the hit for it.

I didn't know Bezos was involved with Twitch, or that he took 50%. No wonder he can afford to go to space.

Elsewhere it's been noted that Blindboy pulls in about €100,000 a year from his podcast.

I don't think you need to be so hard on Blindboy.

Yeah I briefly got into watching some music streamers on Twitch over the Lockdowns. I even dropped a few euro into subscriptions to supports a few of them in that time. So it was quite depressing to then find out that 50% of your sub goes to the platform and not the actual streamer.

Most streamers have a direct donation link too though where I think they forfeit significantly less than the 50%. Something more akin to 5 or 10%.

But they do seem to milk their streamers pretty bad. There are some "perks" they get financially recently but they seem to have to stream a certain amount of hours to achieve them. Which means a lot of streamers I would have once watched - now pad out their content with hours of interactive games or filler content. So I entirely lost interest in the platform.

Blindboy - who I do not watch on twitch - to his credit does seem not to have given into any of that. He sticks to doing around 1 hour a week there - seems to do it for his own enjoyment rather than to pull any money or further his brand - and probably pulls bugger all cash off it except when the occasional randomer drops a 1 or 200 euro dono on him which tends to happen occasionally in most streams with any kind of following. The music Streamer Caoin Fitzgerald for example - who does guitar music from a flat somewhere in Dublin - has a small following of people throwing the occasional multi 100 euro dono at him.

So this was what Blindboy was talking about in one of his recent podcasts: https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/skelliking-day-irelands-mardi-gras

That book he reviewed this week sounds off the wall, I know he said it's sh1te, but I'm almost tempted to read it.

Not much interest in this thread, so you should at least name the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Why do you care if you’ve not much interest in the thread.

Regarding the book which shall remain unnamed he did go to lengths to specify that it’s shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Advertisement

I meant there isn't that much interest from other users in the thread. Not me pacifically.

Advertisement