Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Not sure anyone has been "over rating" him. I just think people felt he looked a prospect in school but haven't seen a lot of him since

He had a couple of good games for a side that over achieved not sure he was ever much of a prospect for the next level , don’t forget he got shown up by Patterson in the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

Not sure anyone has been "over rating" him. I just think people felt he looked a prospect in school but haven't seen a lot of him since

He had a couple of good games for a side that over achieved not sure he was ever much of a prospect for the next level , don’t forget he got shown up by Patterson in the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hoodor

Harryclaim wrote: »

and he comfortably outplayed Patterson when Lansdowne u20 met UCD u20 last season.

He certainly was a prospect for an academy position, injury prevented him and Patterson from having a proper competition for that academy place.. Patterson being very lucky to get that spot in the academy.

ultimately it comes down to the position, which is rarely produces prospects of that size/speed and the limited game time Kenny got last season due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Anyone have any early predictions of who will go up to Prem 1?

Premier 1 Qualifiers
    Section A
    Lansdowne, Navan, MU Barnhall -Lansdowne/Barnhall

Section B
    UCD, Marys, Belvedere - UCD/Belvo

Section C
    Trinity, Wesley, Blackrock - Trinity/Blackrock

Section D
    Clontarf, Greystones, Terenure - Clontarf/Terenure

Clontarf to win outright....

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

hoodor wrote: »
    wonder where Milne, Baird and Penny end up.

Milne Tarf
    Baird Trinity
    Penny UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Premier 1 Qualifiers
    Section A
    Lansdowne, Navan, MU Barnhall   -Lansdowne/Barnhall

Section B
    UCD, Marys, Belvedere  - UCD/Belvo

Section C

Section D
    Clontarf, Greystones, Terenure  - Clontarf/Terenure

Agree with your qualifiers. Hard to call so early but think we should give it a good go along with UCD and Lansdowne from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Premier 1 Qualifiers
    Section A
    Lansdowne, Navan, MU Barnhall -Lansdowne/Barnhall

Section B
    UCD, Marys, Belvedere - UCD/Belvo

Section C

Section D
    Clontarf, Greystones, Terenure - Clontarf/Terenure

Predictions for premier 1 are about right but far too early to be discussing overall winner. Sure you dont know for some clubs what numbers will be like and who they have playing for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Cant really predict winners until lc points and cao offers as they'll have an impact on squads.
    Wesley/Rock and Marys/Belvo seem the main ones up for contention for qualifying though but again depends on who they get in

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Milne Tarf
    Baird Trinity
    Penny UCD

If Baird does go to DUFC it will be some 2nd row pairing in Dunne and himself

If Baird does go to DUFC it will be some 2nd row pairing in Dunne and himself
    Not good for Trinity with both of them missing so much time withn 20s. Likely to be one the favourites to fall out of top 10 in 1a if league goes to 8 teams if IRFU plan goes ahead

• Advertisement

Not good for Trinity with both of them missing so much time withn 20s. Likely to be one the favourites to fall out of top 10 in 1a if league goes to 8 teams if IRFU plan goes ahead

Dunne not U20 this year however will likely be involved in L A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Qualifying format makes a lot more sense and is a lot fairer in my opinion just looking at it there

Dunne not U20 this year however will likely be involved in L A

Leinster A shouldn't affect him playing for DUFC. But we shall wait and see.

hoodor wrote: »
    Leinster A shouldn't affect him playing for DUFC. But we shall wait and see.
    Not sure too many people in any of the clubs are confident in that given Leicesters historical decisions..

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Not sure too many people in any of the clubs are confident in that given Leicesters historical decisions..

academy players regularly play for their club.

Leinster u20s squad

Props

Michael Milne
    Thomas clarkson
    Roman salanoa
    Niall mceniff
    Giuseppe Coyne
    Chris Hennessy

Hookers

Richie bergin
    Declan adamson
    John mckee
    Sean moloney

Second rows
    Ryan Baird
    Matthew Healy
    Charlie Ryan

Back rows
    Ronan watters
    Alan francis
    Reubin pim
    Scott Penney
    Ruadhan byron
    Mark fleming
    Gerard hill
    Michael mcgagh
    Martin moloney

Scrum halves
    Cormac Foley
    Louis o Reilly
    James kenney

Out half’s
    David hawkshaw
    James tarrant
    David Moran

Centres
    David ryan
    Eoin Barr
    Liam turner
    Jay Barron

Back 3
    Hugo Conway
    Aaron o Sullivan
    Rory shields
    Patrick oppermann
    Sean galvin
    Rob Russell
    Conor o kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Milne, Clarkson, Baird. Penny, Hawkshaw and O'Sullivan would be the ones I'm aware of - any others to really keep an eye on?

John McKee is the Ulster prop was the Irish Schools captain last year, so that'll be interesting to watch. 

Salanoa is the Hawaiian kid. No idea how his transition to rugby has gone so far, but those are good props he's competing against for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Leinster5

Lansdowne struggling with their recruitment this year from what I've been told from a 20's perspective. Old Belvedere pushing hard at Senior and 20s level.

Blackrock have recruited plenty of big names which makes you wonder. Was told Hawkshaw has joined Clontarf with Baird and Penny going to UCD.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Lansdowne struggling with their recruitment this year from what I've been told from a 20's perspective. Old Belvedere pushing hard at Senior and 20s level.

Blackrock have recruited plenty of big names which makes you wonder. Was told Hawkshaw has joined Clontarf with Baird and Penny going to UCD.

Baird to Trinity ive heard

Belvo will find it difficult again at 20s level more a socila side than serious rugby going on last few years evidence, Rock throwing huge cash around again this year but it is where good 20s players go to die and spend all of it in Coppers ( If only Fergus Slattery knew what was really going on in his club instead of lecturing others). UCD, Trinity, Lansdowne & Tarf likely top 4. If people remember this time last year much the same was said about the clubs above which didn't work out for Rock whop did the same last year, Belvo didn't qualify, Lansdowne won the League, Tarf continued improving & the Colleges blew hot and cold mostly hot but they should be winning the 20s league every year with their resources and scholarships attracting the cream. Tarf and Lansdowne will lead the charge aginst them but not going to be any dramatic changes in top 4 this year except possibly Terenure who can get a good run going as most of the team will have played togetrher all thru school and be that bit ahead come start of the league. They could dislodge a Lansdowne or Tarf team on their day

• Advertisement

Belvo will find it difficult again at 20s level more a socila side than serious rugby going on last few years evidence, Rock throwing huge cash around again this year but it is where good 20s players go to die and spend all of it in Coppers ( If only Fergus Slattery knew what was really going on in his club instead of lecturing others). UCD, Trinity, Lansdowne & Tarf likely top 4. If people remember this time last year much the same was said about the clubs above which didn't work out for Rock whop did the same last year, Belvo didn't qualify, Lansdowne won the League, Tarf continued improving & the Colleges blew hot and cold mostly hot but they should be winning the 20s league every year with their resources and scholarships attracting the cream. Tarf and Lansdowne will lead the charge aginst them but not going to be any dramatic changes in top 4 this year except possibly Terenure who can get a good run going as most of the team will have played togetrher all thru school and be that bit ahead come start of the league. They could dislodge a Lansdowne or Tarf team on their day
    I think OB will qualify this year. Marys struggling badly from what I've heard. Could not agree more re: the Fergus Slattery comment - one of the most ironic crusades ever. Agree re: final make up too most likely the 4/5 you mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

I suppose I'll bite.....who did Blackrock spend huge cash on last year? Can only think of two prominent senior players who went there from the school - the hooker (McLoughlin) and the 7 (Francis). Didn't think they recruited any big names from the elsewhere either (though I could be wrong).
    Pretty sure BRFC doesn't have much in the way of cash which is why I'd say Slattery's comments were always more begrudging than ironic in my opinion.

I suppose I'll bite.....who did Blackrock spend huge cash on last year? Can only think of two prominent senior players who went there from the school - the hooker (McLoughlin) and the 7 (Francis). Didn't think they recruited any big names from the elsewhere either (though I could be wrong).
    Pretty sure BRFC doesn't have much in the way of cash which is why I'd say Slattery's comments were always more begrudging than ironic in my opinion.

Not meant as an insult and dont know your background but you are out of touch if you don't know the Rock story at 20s level this year and last plenty getting €8k for the season and I mean plenty. How many St. Michaels lads played for Blackrock last season? That is not a typical avenue that is taken by Michaels players take a closer look at which schools the players are coming from and you will get an idea. EX rock SCT lads were offered more but most turned it down to play more competitive rugby. I am not slandering anyone here but Rock are on the verge of out of control again and where they are getting the cash I don't know or care but they are throwing it around recklessly and if history tells us anything it is a flawed plan that does not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

Safe to say I'm probably more than a bit out of touch. Didn't realise so many Michael's lads had gone their last year (that's probably down to me knowing their players as well).

Based on their results last year, I can't disagree with you that it's a flawed plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Barnhall with their maynooth links have been steadily improving.
    Navan had a great year about 2 seasons back - was that a 1 off?

While there are the stand out teams who recruit heavily each season it looks like the overall standard is improving and it is more competitive in that bracket just outside/just qualifying for premier.

Where are slatterys comments?

Barnhall with their maynooth links have been steadily improving.
    Navan had a great year about 2 seasons back - was that a 1 off?

While there are the stand out teams who recruit heavily each season it looks like the overall standard is improving and it is more competitive in that bracket just outside/just qualifying for premier.

Where are slatterys comments?
    Wouldnt say a one off with Navan. They're strong in youths rugby but wont always be able to compete at very top in 20s.
    Google 'fergus slattery club rugby' and you will see the comments about removing payment from club rugby. funny as blackrock club would have been big into paying at different times.

Ireland Under-20s head coach Noel McNamara has been sent on a three-month placement with Kiwi outfit North Harbour as part of an IRFU initiative to take coaches "out of their comfort zone" and aid their development.
    Once he has completed the Mitre10 Cup season he will return to Ireland to continue in his dual role with the U20s and Leinster’s development squad.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0814/985089-irfu-send-u20-coach-mcnamara-on-3-month-nz-placement/

Wouldnt say a one off with Navan. They're strong in youths rugby but wont always be able to compete at very top in 20s.
    Google 'fergus slattery club rugby' and you will see the comments about removing payment from club rugby. funny as blackrock club would have been big into paying at different times.

Joe Byrne and Brian Mollen leave 1A club to join Rock...interesting....

Joe Byrne and Brian Mollen leave 1A club to join Rock...interesting....
    Is Mollen finished University? So cant play for Trinity anymore.
    Arent both former Blackrock students so at least there's some connection to the club somewhat...

• Advertisement

Is Mollen finished University? So cant play for Trinity anymore.
    Arent both former Blackrock students so at least there's some connection to the club somewhat...

Interestingly Mollen was in UCD lat year(he changed after 1st year i think) but could be finished and Byrne in DIT..Byrne an Irish 20s leaves a DIV IA club to join a DIV 2A club..Mollen on the 7s anyway so wouldnt have played much for either Rock or Trinity and would have struggled to get into the Triniity back 3 of Captain Colm Hogan/Jack Kelly and Michael Sylvestre if all available. Both are Rock boys from school.

Advertisement