Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I wonder if we could use something like this to generate questions. There is a dedicated blockbusters section, questions don't appear to be overly taxing either.

http://www.quizmasters.biz/DB/Que/QMenu.php

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Banjo wrote:
    Pter, if you're hosting, would Report on the question post work as a buzzer or are there consequences and visibility concerns there that might make that a little abusive?

Not a runner I'm afraid.

Kolido wrote: »
    I wonder if we could use something like this to generate questions. There is a dedicated blockbusters section, questions don't appear to be overly taxing either.

http://www.quizmasters.biz/DB/Que/QMenu.php

Only issue with this site is its blocked for me in work :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    Only issue with this site is its blocked for me in work :o:o

Just generate a bunch of questions and email them from your phone to your work computer

Starting up a second game in the trial thread if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So, is Blockbusters viable?

In it's first format, yes I think so. In it's second format? Maybe. I preferred the tougher questions and alternating turns myself.

What did you think?

Yeah, possibly too easy second time, as it was just a matter of who was fastest on the keyboard (which was never me when on the phone). I didn't mind the difficulty level first time. But I like, in theory, the buzzer system, where gamemaster thanks post to give them the go-ahead to answer. And the game board itself seemed okay. So, we've everything we need with format, and just need to fine tune the questions, I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/crr55qbzchbmjpa/BlockBusters%20Sample%20Board.pptx?dl=0

Board is there for anyone who wants to use it and give it a shot.

It's on PowerPoint so you would need that or compatible to use that file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/crr55qbzchbmjpa/BlockBusters%20Sample%20Board.pptx?dl=0

Board is there for anyone who wants to use it and give it a shot.

It's on PowerPoint so you would need that or compatible to use that file.

google slides should have no bother opening powerpoint.

edit: confirmed, google slides has no bother opening it.

• Advertisement

I will host a game if anyone would be interested in playing one this week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Would you like to share that game with us? I am playing bubble shooter nowadays, and it is very brainstorming because I am unable to win a single stage since the beginning, even I was a good player of FB bubble witch saga. Also, share any tip if you have about the shooting. Yes, I am damn interested in playing new games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Im hosting a live game of Pandemic in my lower intestine as we speak. If anyone wants their house pebbledashed, buy me a bag of peanuts and I've got you covered. Literally.

Would anyone be interested in a table quiz type game? I have a format in mind but thought I'd gauge interest first before pressing ahead with it. It would be a team based, multiple rounds of multiple questions type of thing.

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Sure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Yes

Yes :)

Yip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Yes!

Im really crap at TQs but love them so im in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I LOVE table quizzes so I'm all over this!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think I could manage this from the comfort of my deck chair ;)

I was thinking about how teams could communicate, would you just use the PM function on boards here Kol?

Alternatively WhatsApp or discord (although I know you hate discord Mols)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Necro wrote: »

I was thinking about how teams could communicate, would you just use the PM function on boards here Kol?

Well I can't get on discord in work is all, and I generally hate it on my phone.

Necro wrote: »

Thanks for all the interest in this, maybe it could work.

So how I was thinking of running it, is holding it over multiple days rather than one night. Reason being is I probably wouldnt have the time, could take a few hours and I dont think everyone would be available.
    So having a round of questions each day, posted around midday and results around 8 or 9.
    6 rounds of 6 questions with one round of specaility. Also bonus points to be got.
    Regarding comms between teams, I was thinking of leaving that up to the teams. As long as there is no research or googling and they confer between themselves, I dont mind what platform they use.

I will try get a signup tread opened in a few days and see how it goes. Maybe have teams of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TQ sounds good.

I know I am a newbie around these parts, so not sure if this has been tried before or not.

How about combining a SHEEP & PEEHS, the same 7/8 questions and pick an answer for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I know I am a newbie around these parts, so not sure if this has been tried before or not.

How about combining a SHEEP & PEEHS, the same 7/8 questions and pick an answer for each.

Sure give it a whirl Ted and see how it goes. :)

• Advertisement

Ectoplasm wrote:
    Sure give it a whirl Ted and see how it goes.

Woop, this could be either great or an epic fail. Will try and have a plan for it in a day or so.

Watch this space.

Advertisement