Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Re the Odroid Go. They've added Colecovision to official emulators and have updated firmware for quicker loading and reduced screen tearing. Got mine today, which is very impressive from Korea in just a few days. FedEx I salute you.

Tried numerous picture sharing sites but can't seem to get any to appear on mobile. But not much to see really.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Turns out the 60Gb PS3 I bought for the PS2 compatibility is actually a 40Gb PS3, with no PS2 compatibility.
    Any way I can easily turn this into a cfw device that can run the PS2 stuff anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It appears the previous owner also updated it to the latest firmware

Thankfully the seller is refunding me, meeting with him next week.
    Still, now on the lookout for an actual 60Gb PS3!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It appears the previous owner also updated it to the latest firmware

As far as I know, all firmwares are exploitable now.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, all firmwares are exploitable now.

I think you need a dongle of some description to install the cfw, as the current firmware is the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think you need a dongle of some description to install the cfw, as the current firmware is the latest version.

This was the case but not anymore. They found an exploit for the most recent one. If you were on a recent enough FW you had to upgrade to the latest, then it could be exploited.

I would imagine they will fix this on the next offical FW and then you will need the hardware again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

All Phat models are currently fully exploitable regardless of firmware.
    Certain Slim models are fully exploitable, others not.
    Super Slim models are partially exploitable.

Inviere wrote: »
    All Phat models are currently fully exploitable regardless of firmware.
    Certain Slim models are fully exploitable, others not.
    Super Slim models are partially exploitable.

Anyone care to link me to that type of thing?
    I am returning the console for a refund, but if something cool can be done with it, might keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sounds great, i will dig out my 60GB phat so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen a few guides but not sure which is best or if they are missing anything.

I have not done it myself, offered to do it for a few people but they play online and did not want the risk so I never read up on it fully.

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-4-82-cfw-installation-guide-for-dummies.15712/

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3-4-82-exploit-tutorial.3126/

Many might have old PS3s kicking about with broken disc drives, when you can do a lot without one.

Well, I have my main Slim PS3 with a 1Tb installed, and I'm pretty happy with it for all the online stuff too.
    I was after a Phat 60Gb for the completionist in me and also so I could play Outrun 2006: Coast2Coast on my nice 42" plasma.
    But, with a PS2HDMI adapter on the way, I won't need it.

I am returning the console for a refund, but if something cool can be done with it, might keep it.

It’s very straight forward, I done the exploit a few months back on a Slim model.just take your time and read through each step - http://wololo.net/2017/11/27/tutorial-use-ps3xploit-hack-ps3-go-directly-rebug-4-81-2-noob-friendly/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does it have to be 3.56 or below for all models?

Skerries wrote: »
    does it have to be 3.56 or below for all models?

Firmware version isn't important at the moment, what is, is the type and model number of your PS3. You need to run the MinVerChk tool, if it reports your PS3 is downgradable to 3.55 or below, you're golden. Have a read of the tutorial link, it's all explained better there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I have the slim model 2003a which says it should be good to go but wasn't sure about the FW

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah I have the slim model 2003a which says it should be good to go but wasn't sure about the FW

From memory, the only thing that matters is the consoles minimum firmware, it (the console) has to have been produced before 3.55 was released, in order for the exploit to work. To properly determine that, you'll need to run the minverchk tool, which is a very simply task of placing the tool on a usb stick (using the correct folder structure), and then just running it on the PS3. It'll spit out the results immediately, and if your minimum version is 3.55 or below, you're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

EmuParadise has announced they are removing the ability to download games from their website.
    Eurogamer Article

I've a bit of a mixed opinion of this to be honest.

On one hand I can empathise with the site owners from a financial standpoint. If it ends up going into a multi-million dollar lawsuit I wouldn't want my hands getting any more dirty than they may have already been.
    But also I think this is pure proof that preservation of media is a big joke when it comes to video games. It's all a big legal issue and I wish some of the current generation of game companies would lend a hand with this kind of thing. Sometimes we just don't have the funds to be forking out hundreds for a physical copy of a classic game due to its rarity and having it on a modern system digitally is always a good alternative, but still a pain in the backside because there's all this legislation jargon over it.

I am still questioning how they were able to get the Disney Afternoon Collection out on digital stores.

Have bought a new 4TB internal hdd, which is now up and running in the pc (no small task fitting x3 3.5" hdd;s, & x2 2.5" hdd's into a Core V1 :o). I'm going to redo my whole emulation setup from scratch. Currently, it feels like a fragile web of symlinks, redirects, and config files, particularly my Retroarch folder...it's really not optimized and ultimately isn't set up correctly config wise. My plan is to build EVERYTHING into a fresh installation of Launchbox, and have the whole thing as a portable installation that can be copy/pasted in the future.

I also bought a lifetime sub to Emumovies while at it (20% off when you buy a Launchbox premium license is nice!), so I'll get all the better quality artwork and preview vids. Once I've everything up and running, I'll move onto setting up Big Box with a nice custom theme, and I can finally rest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Howarya folks. Long time lurker... :)

I'm looking at getting an Android box or similar for streaming etc. and it'd be deadly to have something that could do emulation too. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at? I haven't kept up to date with emulation on Android devices. I was thinking of going the Retropi route, but I'm not sure I can get Netflix and so on working on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nvidia Shield TV, expensive but well worth it and everything just works.

You won't get Netflix on a Pi without serious faffing about.

Not to mention the Pi has big issues with x265/HEVC content (no hardware decoding, it's software based and it dies a death trying to do it).

Nvidia Shield TV, expensive but well worth it and everything just works.

Yah, I'd considered the Shield, but it seems like overkill to me for my intended use. I've no real interest in playing current PC games etc. Something around the 100 quid mark would be more up my alley :). And so long as it can run up to the 16 bit era I'm good. Bonus for N64 and PS1emulation, but not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Most android boxes should be fine up to like psp, I'd be more concerned about the media streaming aspect, I could be wrong but I think a lot of the Chinese boxes can't get a full HD video from Netflix for some reason.

https://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

megaten wrote: »
    Most android boxes should be fine up to like psp, I'd be more concerned about the media streaming aspect, I could be wrong but I think a lot of the Chinese boxes can't get a full HD video from Netflix for some reason.

https://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

Hmm. That's good to know, I had no idea that was the case. I'm looking at the Mi Box 3. From what I can gather it has the official version of Android TV. Will have to research some more though...

Yeahhhh. So I may just go for the Shield. Would be pretty nice to have the GameCube and Saturn emulators running!

pinksoir wrote: »
    Yeahhhh. So I may just go for the Shield. Would be pretty nice to have the GameCube and Saturn emulators running!

Good call, seems a pretty sweet little device

Nice new image in the RPi, some overscan adjustments to do yet though, I'm getting persistent black borders top and bottom of the AWSD cab monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Inviere wrote: »
    Good call, seems a pretty sweet little device

I've not tried the Saturn or GC emulators on the Shield but the new GeForce Now streaming service is surprisingly good, of course is a free beta at the moment so handy to try out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 arcadeblasters

OK, so i know its old hat at this stage but I always did like it.

having a few mame related issues and its been that long since ive configured maximus ive forgotten which version works best.

Anyone out there care to share what mame version works best for their max arcade setup?

Not looking for download links just curious how people are set up

Feel free to PM

Advertisement