Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Irish Ferries ship

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Having looked at the schedule for the Holyhead route from January, which was only loaded in the last few days, and only runs up to mid April, it's clear that there is a significant reduction in sailings during that period, the only vessel that's scheduled for most of that time at present is Ulysses, so effectively, they have massively downgraded the route for the 3 and a half months, and WB Yeats is not appearing in any schedules at all.

I can't decide if this is due to lack of demand, or lack of vessels to service the routes, they always do the annual maintenance during the first 3 months, my suspicion is that the entry into service of WB Yeats is going to be a lot later than was anticipated, so they are not committing to any services by that vessel until after Mid April.

It is possible that there have been issues during trials that are going to have to be resolved, and there is no telling how long that might take, depending on what has been found in recent weeks.

There is also the very real confusion around the eventual outcome of the Brexit scenario, depending on how that eventually works out, it's altogether possible that the ferry companies will need significant extra capacity from Ireland to Europe direct, and clearly Irish Ferries are not about to reveal their contingency plans at the moment.

I can't recall such a reduced schedule being offered on the Holyhead route for a long time, it seems strange that they have cut back so dramatically, unless their maintenance issues are more complex than has been revealed, which will mean more dry dock time than has been the case in recent years.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Having looked at the schedule for the Holyhead route from January, which was only loaded in the last few days, and only runs up to mid April, it's clear that there is a significant reduction in sailings during that period, the only vessel that's scheduled for most of that time at present is Ulysses, so effectively, they have massively downgraded the route for the 3 and a half months, and WB Yeats is not appearing in any schedules at all.
    <snip>
    I think you're reading too much into it.
    Its likely to be just Irish ferries just releasing space on the ferries that they know will be definitely running, and will only take bookings for France and the 2nd Holyhead ferry when they have WB Yeats delivered, seeing as it is key in that part of the jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Confirmed yesterday in their trading update that sea trials complete, and the ship to be delivered in early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Currently in the North Sea en route to Cherbourg and then on to Dublin

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9809679

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

WB Yeats currently alongside in Rosslare and then off to Holyhead to undertake berthing trials there. Suggested arrival time into Dublin Port 09.45 tomorrow morning.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5614700/mmsi:209146000/vessel:W.B.YEATS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Berthed beside the East Link tonight (Thursday), looking HUGE!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Berthed beside the East Link tonight (Thursday), looking HUGE!!

Ahh come on now..... where are the photos? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

On the East Link last night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Marty Bird wrote: »
    On the East Link last night.

Sweet! Is it actually smaller than Ulysses? Seems to be if the figures on Vesselfinder are correct.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Sweet! Is it actually smaller than Ulysses? Seems to be if the figures on Vesselfinder are correct.

Yes it’s smaller than Ulysses.

Just now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kleebes

So Irish Ferries are building up to announcing the arrival of a new ship to their fleet in October. Anyone heard anything in advance as to which route it will operate on ?
    I wish they would open up the Swansea-Cork route again, the closure cost the south of the country 350,000,000Euros in lost revenue and for the sake of one millionEuros investment the Government threw it away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

kleebes wrote: »
    I wish they would open up the Swansea-Cork route again, the closure cost the south of the country 350,000,000Euros in lost revenue and for the sake of one millionEuros investment the Government threw it away!!
    What investment, Swansea Cork ferries ceased trading in the noughties, and the Fastnet Line could'nt make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

kleebes wrote: »

It's a shame people are now stuck with the quicker, more economical alternatives unrelient on government subsidies to survive

See the first scheduled passenger trip has been pushed a few times over past couple of weeks.

Again, the lack of any communications is very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

blackwhite wrote: »
    See the first scheduled passenger trip has been pushed a few times over past couple of weeks.

Again, the lack of any communications is very poor
    Is there a problem with the WB Yates

Music Box wrote: »

No idea - just strange that it keeps being listed to depart Dublin port, and then the departure is pushed out 24/48/72 hours.
    Thought it would have been covering Dublin-Holyhead by now, with Ulysses in for maintenance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I really don't know why anyone is booking with Irish Ferries any more. Imagine the outcry on national media if Aer Lingus cancelled flights and delayed extending other routes without any notice. It's a train wreck of a company who are lucky to have built up such a large warchest before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Something to do with an Italian Furniture Supplier problem I heard.
    I wouldn't be in any rush to book with IF for a Holiday after their record over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Something to do with an Italian Furniture Supplier problem I heard.
    I wouldn't be in any rush to book with IF for a Holiday after their record over the last few years.

Same. I've got that €150 voucher that we were given after the W.B. Late furore last summer, but I'd say we'll probably use that for a day trip at most, and use Stena if we're doing an actual holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I really don't know why anyone is booking with Irish Ferries any more.

Because they are still better, cheaper and more reliable than Stena??
    Well that's what my dad says and he's been in Ireland-UK logistics for 30+ years

And how many times did he have to rebook an IF load onto another company ship in the last 21 months? Outside of hellish weather, no other companies missed as many sailing and had as many cancellations as IF in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

WB Yeats has finally entered service this morning on the 08.05 to Holyhead, albeit running 1h30 late.

Meanwhile in China the first of 8 new ferries Stena have on order has been floated, Stena Estrid is due to start service on Dublin - Holyhead early 2020.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-lines-e-flexer-ferry-floats-keel-is-laid-brittany-ferries-first/

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I saw the WB leaving Dublin this morning from the DART, and I have to say it looked huge! At least it's finally on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BF have a ship on order as well, LNG powered and they will be chartering another from Stena for the Spanish route.

Unfortunate to see WBY had a fender bender incident as she was docking in Holyhead. In the old days we'd never had known about it, but now, facebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Music Box wrote: »

There was a report that the preferred/specified number of prefabricated cabins (different manufacturer) did not fit within the hull when it was finished and the delay related to modifications to resolve this issue.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Unfortunate to see WBY had a fender bender incident as she was docking in Holyhead. In the old days we'd never had known about it, but now, facebook...

Is there a link to that? I had a google but couldn’t find anything.

Disappointing to hear that apparently the car lanes are very narrow. I was quite pleased to see how much space there was between cars on the Ulysses during the summer, but I wouldn’t relish trying to get 2 kids and an overnight bag out in a hurry on a crossing to France on WBY.

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ferriesirish/

You have to be a member to see it, I think.

Advertisement