Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your favourite Podcasts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For those of you interested in crime podcasts (they can be fascinating), I discovered "Nordic Crime". The delivery of the narrator is very clear, and some of the crimes are grim.

Great place Scandinavia, but sure it goes on everywhere.

"They walk among us" is UK based crime series, I find it very good.

"Mens Rea" is about murders and crime in Ireland. Very well delivered IMO.

Gone off Casefile, but I didn't delete it. You'd never know.

Ear Hustle is brilliant, all about the personal stories of those locked up in US jails. Try it.

Black Box as someone mentioned earlier, is also good.

And last but not least "Full Disclosure", interviews by James O'Brien of LBC radio with various people. Very interesting. Brilliant interview with Ken Clarke recently.

All tastes vary I know that. But those are some of the podcasts I have on my list of about 50 or so, if not more!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

gmisk wrote: »
    It's filth lol
    Great fun

Different level of filth

I mean, Goodness me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that!!!!! as the ladies would say themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Hi All,

I would really appreciate suggestions for podcasts in a format of discussion when 2 sides presenting opposite points of view.

Preferably something that touches global rather than american problems.

I think I am not the only one who had enough of Trump and BlackLives Matter.

You-tube channels and programs would do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Hi All,

I would really appreciate suggestions for podcasts in a format of discussion when 2 sides presenting opposite points of view.

Preferably something that touches global rather than american problems.

I think I am not the only one who had enough of Trump and BlackLives Matter.

You-tube channels and programs would do as well.

Intelligence Squared are basically formal debates on topical issues so that might suit?

Just going to mention that brilliant one-off piece (7 episodes) that goes down in podcast history for its uniqueness (or characters and circumstance)

"S-Town"

Might not work for everyone but if anyone has not listened to it, don't google anything about it and try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I love a guy called Colin Hoult who does a character called Anna Mann.
    I have just found out he has a long running podcast in character...it's very funny.

Dear Joan and Jericha is also absolute genius, if anyone hasn't listened to it they really should!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Blindboy on Adam Buxton. That was painful. Well the 20 minutes I could manage. I didn't think it was possible for him to go even further up his own hole.

Neo-liberalism this, Post-modernism that, **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Blindboy on Adam Buxton. That was painful. Well the 20 minutes I could manage. I didn't think it was possible for him to go even further up his own hole.

No-liberalism this, Post-modernism that, **** off.

One of your favorites so..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Blindboy came across as quite daft with Adam Buxton. In one ramble BB was going on about the difference of wording of what we call animals in the field as opposed to what we call them on the plate (Cow/Beef) and it stemming from early Normans and Anglo Saxon times. Grand. But he went on to make that point by saying we say chicken on the farm but poultry in a restaurant (Adam did pull him up on this too). Who has a poultry sandwich? Poultry soup anyone? Goat curry is goat curry too. Fish and chips? Duck pancakes? Lamb kofte?
    BB was trying to make a broader point (I think?) on class and evolution but when he's building that point around people not calling the beasts in the field the same as what we call them when eating them is nonsense. Mostly. Except for cows. And pigs maybe? But I'd say that's much more to do with the variety of cuts/curing.

Another bit of tripe from BB was when he was explaining the nuances of hiberno-english. He proposed that the historical reason why Irish people construct a sentence in a different way than English people is to confuse the English. "800 years" (yep, he gave it the 800 years bit) of being asked awkward question by a nasty invasive inquisitor led to the Irish replying in riddles in order to be evasive responders. BB says this is as truth because his Da told him it was so.

"Ahoy there Paddy, do prey tell how would one ride directly to Nenagh?"
    "Ah, now squire, well, I wouldn't start from here."

Hmmm, maybe BB's Da isn't half wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

One of your favorites so..

Yes. The Adam Buxton podcast is one of my favourites, but I didn't think it possible I could dislike an episode as much as I did the BB one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I really enjoyed BB's podcast when it started but he has gone so far up his own hole now that it is completely insufferable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

humberklog wrote: »
    Blindboy came across as quite daft with Adam Buxton. In one ramble BB was going on about the difference of wording of what we call animals in the field as opposed to what we call them on the plate (Cow/Beef) and it stemming from early Normans and Anglo Saxon times. Grand. But he went on to make that point by saying we say chicken on the farm but poultry in a restaurant (Adam did pull him up on this too). Who has a poultry sandwich? Poultry soup anyone? Goat curry is goat curry too. Fish and chips? Duck pancakes? Lamb kofte?
    BB was trying to make a broader point (I think?) on class and evolution but when he's building that point around people not calling the beasts in the field the same as what we call them when eating them is nonsense. Mostly. Except for cows. And pigs maybe? But I'd say that's much more to do with the variety of cuts/curing.

Another bit of tripe from BB was when he was explaining the nuances of hiberno-english. He proposed that the historical reason why Irish people construct a sentence in a different way than English people is to confuse the English. "800 years" (yep, he gave it the 800 years bit) of being asked awkward question by a nasty invasive inquisitor led to the Irish replying in riddles in order to be evasive responders. BB says this is as truth because his Da told him it was so.

I had to switch off. I can take only small doses of BB but I like Buxton so I thought I'd give it a go. The 'yeah, 800 years of oppression is what formed this thing called hiberno-English' did my head in. How is an English person supposed to engage with that? Where does the conversation go from there if the other person has an English accent? Without the English person coming across as a w a n k e r? It's a pity as BB seemed gracious and engaged when Buxton spoke about having a family but I'm not sure I want to listen to the rest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've listened to the first few BB podcasts and the last few, have to say I haven't noticed this disappearing up his own arse that people talk, in fact it seems to be more of the same, and actually on topic for this thread, I would say it's one of my favourite podcasts, generally I find them entertaining and usually I've learned something by the time I reach the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Anybody looking for a good podcast should listen to the bloodied field, it's about the 1920 bloody Sunday massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Tim Harford- cautionary tales are really enjoyable and are approx 25 mins long.

michael lewis of money ball fame has a good podcast called against the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Right now for a bit of comedic relief favourites are Tommy & Hector and the two Johnny's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to hear the nobody zone is returning for 2 new episodes

Blindboy thread is here! ->

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057886373&page=5

Neo-liberalism this, Post-modernism that, **** off.
    humberklog wrote: »

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed BB's podcast when it started but he has gone so far up his own hole now that it is completely insufferable to listen to.
    I've listened to the first few BB podcasts and the last few, have to say I haven't noticed this disappearing up his own arse that people talk, in fact it seems to be more of the same, and actually on topic for this thread, I would say it's one of my favourite podcasts, generally I find them entertaining and usually I've learned something by the time I reach the end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Blindboy chat petered out two weeks ago, also my post was somewhat on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Listening to a few myself, mainly football ones, Football Ramble being a particular favourite. New hosts as well to keep it fresh. That Peter Crouch Podcast is always good for a giggle.
    Was looking for Irish ones, gave blindboy a go but yeah found him hard work so gave up. Stumbled upon the Angry Bartender Ireland one which is a good laugh easy to listen to although kinda off point at the moment as the lads have nothing to talk about with the bars closed but they still get a chuckle every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I recently enjoyed The Edge, about a cheating scandal in baseball. Any other good sports podcasts folks can recommend, more about historical events rather than uo to date, current sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Halfway through Swindled. Very easy to listen to. Thoroughly enjoying all the different topics. Some crackers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm enjoying Extremities at the moment. it's 3 sets of 6 episodes about remote islands and the people who live there. Pitcairn, Svalbard and St Helena.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm enjoying Extremities at the moment. it's 3 sets of 6 episodes about remote islands and the people who live there. Pitcairn, Svalbard and St Helena.

Seconded. It's interesting stuff.

Hope there's a new season in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

Chameleon is worrh checking out. Its about a scam in Hollywood where a woman pretends to be a producer for films, hires different industry people like trainers and make-up artists then flies them out to location in Philippines and leaves them there.

It's a real mystery detective story trying to find out who the person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Can anyone recommend podcasts similar to Unexplained? A guy called Richard McLean Smith presents it and it's the way the show is presented that I like.

I've tried last podcast on the left and Astonishing Legends but to be quite honest I hate the over enthusiastic presenting style and the digging into every detail for 2 hours. With Unexplained the narrator just tells the story of these unexplained mysteries and that's it. Could be that it's the only one out there in that style which would be a pity but any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Armchair Expert. Dax Shepard is very well versed in topics. Good flow to the chat and guests are quite varied. Recommend 'Dog The Bounty Hunter' episode to start off.

Radiolab. Been setting the standard in production and topic for years.

Ted Talks Daily. Think we all know Ted Talks. Cuts between narration/interview and taking live audio from a Ted Talk.

Rolling Stone Music Now. Chats about music from the home of music magazine.

Smartless. My current favourite. Very light and fun. Hollywood/ Sports/ Music type guests. Although they did have Kamala Harris on before she was nominated for the Biden ticket. It's a quick and funny podcast.

Conan O Brien needs a friend. If you're not a fan you wont like it. Guests are good. Recommend the Howard Stern and Sprigsteen episodes. Lots of jabber nonsense at the start of each episode that you have to skip though.

Where is George Gibney. Second Captains via BBC sound. Only got around to listening to them 2 weeks ago. Excellent production and editing. Difficult topic but well worth a listen. Looking forward to the last 2 installments 2/10 Dec.

Blindspot.. Got this recommendation from Boards. Very good so far. The whole back story to 9/11 and the decades leading up to it. Madness.

The Score.. Only listened to 6 or so of these. Bank robber telling his story and then the back story that led him to steal and go to jail etc.

13 Minutes to the Moon. BBC done a great job on the Moon landing anniversary. Well produced as expected. If you like space you've probably listened to this already.

Thanks for all the other ideas. I don't tend to like Irish based podcasts. Can't explain why. 2 johnnies. Blindboy etc. Des Bishop and that... Don't do anything for me.
    Joe Rogan is ok. He's whacked all the time and it can therefore be just waffle. Snippets are good depending on guest but I don't know who has over 4hrs to listen to someone chat! :D

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Twenty thousand Hertz is speaking to my geeky audio side. Great series exploring various sounds and the stories behind them. Well produced and never over 30 minutes an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Alicano wrote: »
    Armchair Expert. Dax Shepard is very well versed in topics. Good flow to the chat and guests are quite varied. Recommend 'Dog The Bounty Hunter' episode to start off.
    Big fan of this show, but way behind on episodes - over 100 in my queue! - usually 2 released a week, and they're between 90 min and 2 hrs.
    Dax is very good, while he's well versed he's also open to learning new things. Monica is a great foil to him, particularly in the fact check.
    Alicano wrote: »
    Smartless. My current favourite. Very light and fun. Hollywood/ Sports/ Music type guests. Although they did have Kamala Harris on before she was nominated for the Biden ticket. It's a quick and funny podcast.

I like the three hosts, but I've only listened to a few episodes - I find the episodes too short with so many voices and the hosts are competing to get their bit in. That's where I prefer Armchair Expert - the conversation is led by Dax, and Monica only interjects every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Big fan of this show, but way behind on episodes - over 100 in my queue! - usually 2 released a week, and they're between 90 min and 2 hrs.
    Dax is very good, while he's well versed he's also open to learning new things. Monica is a great foil to him, particularly in the fact check.

I like the three hosts, but I've only listened to a few episodes - I find the episodes too short with so many voices and the hosts are competing to get their bit in. That's where I prefer Armchair Expert - the conversation is led by Dax, and Monica only interjects every so often.

Yeah I was lucky I was on the Armchair from the start so don't have a huge backlog. I skip ones that I don't have interest in. But it's rare. Their choice of guest can be very interesting.

Fair point re Smartless. I'm a huge Bateman fan and find he moves it along and is very quick and funny etc. It gets better. At first they hadn't much of a clue and made fun out of themselves doing a podcast. But nowadays its a slicker show. Currently listening to the Paul McCartney Ep. Really good chat. Not much messing. Glad you like em :)

Advertisement