Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Yea kinda getting into it now, running around on my fat khajiit templar guy, just seems to be a case of a load of little things adding up so far that are kind fo annoying. But i like, just not entirely sure if i would be willing to pay the box price,

Understandable alright. But we're still a few months off what they plan on an official release. I say plan because if a mountain of problems are found during these betas, I hope they delay the release a while and fix them first.

Even since my last post. I'm really loving the main storyline more and more. It keeps me very interested.
    I've not tried to craft yet but one thing I have noticed is that items require a lot of materials. That is not really a bad thing. I don't really like when things are complete pi$$ to craft. It takes away from the professions. I always felt crafted items should be hard to get. Even lower level stuff. And it should be better quality than quest items. I don't know if it is or not but I hope it is.

Just after this I hit my first major problem in beta and it's a warning. I can't remember the name of the quest but orc -> You're checking out a dead kings past around level 6. Finish quest line. Girl comes running up saying bla bla have moar for you.
    Game did it's whole non responding thing here except for the chat box.
    I logged out. Logged in. Girl was gone. Had some random quest saying to talk to her. She wasnt there obviously and no quest markers so abandoned it. Still no girl. No other quest available except for story line which is in the next area (which I can't get to)
    So basically I'm fubar unless they fix it tonight / tomorrow or I start a new character. It's one bug. But it's a big bug. Number of people in game with it. DOH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just after leaving the starting island area for the khajiit.
    Basically what i found is at the moment every mission leads to some anti climatic pointless fight where you take no damage, kill very few enemies and activate between two and three switches which are generally on either side of some object.

Yeah looks nice, i can see how some people might stick with it some of the quest stories are interesting but actual combat and game play to me is kind of boring its just not pulling me in. :( Im rather disappointed i was really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Where are we all playing folks? Completely forgot to login in the end last night! Woudlnt mind i was up to 3am playing FFXIV. Would like to hook up with some of you if anyone could let me know. Cheers

Noxin wrote: »
    Understandable alright. But we're still a few months off what they plan on an official release. I say plan because if a mountain of problems are found during these betas, I hope they delay the release a while and fix them first.

Even since my last post. I'm really loving the main storyline more and more. It keeps me very interested.
    I've not tried to craft yet but one thing I have noticed is that items require a lot of materials. That is not really a bad thing. I don't really like when things are complete pi$$ to craft. It takes away from the professions. I always felt crafted items should be hard to get. Even lower level stuff. And it should be better quality than quest items. I don't know if it is or not but I hope it is.

You have to be careful with this as this is the approach FFXIV took when it first launched and it was a complete piss take. A pair of shoes took special shoe nails and shoe glue and then a leather tongue and 2 sides or some ****. Was a bit mental just for a pair of shoes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Lone Stone wrote: »
    keep getting stuck inthe fecking npc chat view if if i click through the txt befeore they are finished talking :mad:

When that happened to me i went into the addons option and reset the ui, worked the 3 or 4 times it happened so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ah yea i found a quick fix when it happens just type in chat /reloadui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm largely underwhelmed by this. It's like they're trying to mix Skyrim with WoW and it just doesn't work.

Very long load times at the moment. A bit annoying.

Not really doing a lot for me right now. Combat seems so meh just hack and slash with little need for actually timing my blocks etc. Stuck on a loading screen after getting out of the dungeon with the prophet for 10 mins now. Gonna give it a few more mins then call it ....

• Advertisement

Very long load times at the moment. A bit annoying.

Have you been stuck on a loading screen for 10+ mins? Not sure if its the norm or im stuck or something

MarkJD wrote: »
    Have you been stuck on a loading screen for 10+ mins? Not sure if its the norm or im stuck or something

Yea it was taking up to 10 min to log in.
    Servers down now I think for some fixing.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/34441

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

I just got my beta key, spend all day downloading the client and only at 20%

Hmmm, dunno what happened but overnight the sound is in my attacks now. Finally it feels proper. Like I'm actually hitting something.

Also those complaining of it being too easy, what level did you get to? I'm at 7 now and it has been a lot more difficult. I've actually died once or twice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hmmm, dunno what happened but overnight the sound is in my attacks now. Finally it feels proper. Like I'm actually hitting something.

Also those complaining of it being too easy, what level did you get to? I'm at 7 now and it has been a lot more difficult. I've actually died once or twice :P

Is it just me or do hit registering feel a bit off, like it takes 5 secs to think about applying the hit.

Casting seems ok and you hit them just right, the hack and slash mixed with abilities is quite interesting.

I also died a couple of times due to healing staff dps being **** and harpies being bastards.

It's not a bad game and doesn't seem to be on rails which is really cool as tamriel is a big place. Not sure if I would play it tbh will have to checkout the guilds ect see what they are like.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is it just me or do hit registering feel a bit off, like it takes 5 secs to think about applying the hit.

Casting seems ok and you hit them just right, the hack and slash mixed with abilities is quite interesting.

I also died a couple of times due to healing staff dps being **** and harpies being bastards.

It's not a bad game and doesn't seem to be on rails which is really cool as tamriel is a big place. Not sure if I would play it tbh will have to checkout the guilds ect see what they are like.

It did still feel a bit off yea. But being a beta stress test, I wouldn't be overly worried about that being fixed.
    Overall as a beta stress test I was fairly impressed. Stable game bar a couple of logon issues on Saturday. Sure it had bugs but that's the purpose of a beta. Find bugs and iron them out. And there wasn't anything really ground breaking.
    I found a solution to the bug where I bricked by character so was able to continue.
    I'm still in favour of the game but will wait and see closer at how it has improved. I was playing as a tank class but never actually got to tank (didn't level far enough). I did hear the first instance is a bit*h though.
    If I get invited to another I think I'll aim towards hitting 10 asap and trying out pvp.

Yah i agree, there wasn't anything really ground breaking but i suppose at this stage in the lifecycle of MMO as a genre is there much left to break ground on?

I did like the combat was kind of a mix between, GW2 and neverwinter and that theorethically any class can use any weapon.

Downside or maybe i just didnt get into it was the multi-player aspect, the game seems like it took a single player game and tact'd on communication, this was the core downside to SWTOR. Maybe i didnt see enough of the game but not having chat bubbles and unclear chat channels is a pain.

Yah i agree, there wasn't anything really ground breaking but i suppose at this stage in the lifecycle of MMO as a genre is there much left to break ground on?

I did like the combat was kind of a mix between, GW2 and neverwinter and that theorethically any class can use any weapon.

Downside or maybe i just didnt get into it was the multi-player aspect, the game seems like it took a single player game and tact'd on communication, this was the core downside to SWTOR. Maybe i didnt see enough of the game but not having chat bubbles and unclear chat channels is a pain.

I never got chat bubbles. Never used them in any MMO. But that's just me.
    I know what you mean though. I didn't group once over the weekend. Even some of the harder quests are solo instanced. I read that people were having difficulty with some quests(they actually weren't hard, just required you to think about what needed to be done instead of mashing buttons).
    Instead of thinking, they tried to gather groups and go in but it wasn't possible.
    Devs did say they wanted content that would please solo players too and there are some harder areas that require a group or at least another player to come along and help out. Found this out the hard way when I tried to solo some level 10 elite mob who snatched half my health with one hit when I'm sword and board. Luckily a healer came along and got me back on track to help out.

Gonna keep an eye on what feedback we get from this weekend. Hopefully they at least listen to players wants / needs. Really want to try out pvp though. It sounds great.

I never got chat bubbles. Never used them in any MMO. But that's just me.
    I know what you mean though. I didn't group once over the weekend. Even some of the harder quests are solo instanced. I read that people were having difficulty with some quests(they actually weren't hard, just required you to think about what needed to be done instead of mashing buttons).
    Instead of thinking, they tried to gather groups and go in but it wasn't possible.
    Devs did say they wanted content that would please solo players too and there are some harder areas that require a group or at least another player to come along and help out. Found this out the hard way when I tried to solo some level 10 elite mob who snatched half my health with one hit when I'm sword and board. Luckily a healer came along and got me back on track to help out.

Gonna keep an eye on what feedback we get from this weekend. Hopefully they at least listen to players wants / needs. Really want to try out pvp though. It sounds great.

Generally i use chat bubbles to see who is talking, gives a more animated feel to chars they arent just moving statues. For an mmo generally you do want it to seem like its a hive of activity but not as much as you see all chat no matter location in a zone. I could be just spoiled with the likes of wow and capitol city chat.

I did like the quests, they didnt seem to be all fetch this and fetch that. They had allot of the dynamic quests which were pretty cool. I didn't like that they didnt really explain much about the opposing factions why you were fighting ect, maybe something they will include in the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Overall the game grew on me. The graphics improved as the zones changed and the dwemer cave I went into as part of a quest was the graphical highlight. It does look a little bland, there were not any vibrant colours that stood out and as a result it didn't have much contrast. Perhaps better armour with shiny and textured bits will improve the look. Not a big deal.

Crafting seemed to be good, in depth, broad range of options in one menu and deconstructing things to raw materials as a part of every applicable trade is great, no need to learn enchanting to access disenchanting (like warcraft).

The music was extremely underwhelming, beta isn't the finished game but I really wanted the music high and effects low and I got both low even with everything at 100%.

At one stage I swapped to a weapon with double the damage of the one I was previously using and noticed that I was very underequipped for the quest at hand, won't happen again.

I would buy the game.

• Advertisement

I found some swords with enchants and they looked really cool, i think the gear gets better as you find more of it. Color scheme ect it seems to be pretty much similar to Skyrim in allot of places.

I love the alliances to an extent as it clearly defines the battle lines but also dislike them as some of them fit certain classes so well its a shame you cant roll any race to any alliance (example: Khajit dont fit there alliance to an extent but the Redguard does).

Right now as a single player lore/RP type of a game i would buy but until i see end game content and pvp i am not sure about it as a MMO purchase.

I found some swords with enchants and they looked really cool, i think the gear gets better as you find more of it. Color scheme ect it seems to be pretty much similar to Skyrim in allot of places.

I love the alliances to an extent as it clearly defines the battle lines but also dislike them as some of them fit certain classes so well its a shame you cant roll any race to any alliance (example: Khajit dont fit there alliance to an extent but the Redguard does).

Right now as a single player lore/RP type of a game i would buy but until i see end game content and pvp i am not sure about it as a MMO purchase.

The gear does look like it'll improve a lot, in that vein I imagine that if they used the Skyrim approach to loot the blue and purple class of weapons/items won't look like a space suit compared to plain old mail. I was happy with subtle differences (like dragons teeth or that sort of thing).

I haven't read much about the alliances, as to how they will affect the game I'm unsure. if WoW was Horde vs. Alliance is this Aldmeri vs. Ebonheart vs. Daggerfall?

I was looking on G2play today and they have 36% off the RRP of the game as a preorder (regular digital edition pre order) and it's still €45! Link saying that the RRP is €70. I'm not sure how accurate an RRP that is but I imagine the game will be €50 at least, which is a lot for only 30 days!

Any idea what the sub will be? i imagine it will be 12.99 keeping it line with the standard market price for a mmo but i am hearing allot of critism online for it having a sub. I'm not sure if thats because the sub is to much or because there is one at all.

Any idea what the sub will be? i imagine it will be 12.99 keeping it line with the standard market price for a mmo but i am hearing allot of critism online for it having a sub. I'm not sure if thats because the sub is to much or because there is one at all.

IIRC its €14.95 a month (Eve Online is €14.95 a month)

What payment model will The Elder Scrolls Online use?
    We will be announcing exact payment methods at a later date, but globally we will be supporting multiple payment options. Players must purchase The Elder Scrolls Online in order to play it. They will have unlimited access for the first 30 days following activation and can continue beyond that with a subscription of $14.99/month (€12.99 / £8.99).

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/home?region=UK#

Hopefully they stick to this!

What payment model will The Elder Scrolls Online use?
    We will be announcing exact payment methods at a later date, but globally we will be supporting multiple payment options. Players must purchase The Elder Scrolls Online in order to play it. They will have unlimited access for the first 30 days following activation and can continue beyond that with a subscription of $14.99/month (€12.99 / £8.99).

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/home?region=UK#

Hopefully they stick to this!

The game needs to be very good to warrant a subscription. Not because games with subscriptions are bad or anything but people won't pay for crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dermighty wrote: »
    The game needs to be very good to warrant a subscription. Not because games with subscriptions are bad or anything but people won't pay for crap

Not to mention there are a ton of other really good F2P MMO's in the same genre out there such as Rift, Aion and LOTRO along with the likes of B2P like GW2.

Personally I'm gonna wait a few months to see how quick new content gets added to warrant a subscription. Most, if not every P2P MMO launch in the last few years has been nothing more than a cash grab at launch and the game going F2P not to much later.

Venom wrote: »
    Not to mention there are a ton of other really good F2P MMO's in the same genre out there such as Rift, Aion and LOTRO along with the likes of B2P like GW2.

Personally I'm gonna wait a few months to see how quick new content gets added to warrant a subscription. Most, if not every P2P MMO launch in the last few years has been nothing more than a cash grab at launch and the game going F2P not to much later.

I played lord of the rings online, rift and swtor when they were not F2P and I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. I think its a bad thing that new MMO's are weighted against other games which are F2P because a lot of the reason they are F2P is because they are not big successful games. Rift is not a good game.

I thought swtor was initially great but died a death for me. Even if Elder Scrolls was bad I would never return to the other games anyway. The payment model is only relevant if you would choose one of the two games, i.e. A p2p or a F2P game whereas I would gladly pick neither.

Because I've stopped playing any mmo, because I got sick of the games, it doesn't matter whether they are f2p or not. In general f2p mmo games are not good, either graphically or otherwise. Unfortunately world of warcraft is still the most well rounded mmo I've played.

Does that make sense?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have to disagree with you about rift, outside of maybe wow it has the best endgame pve of any mmo on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dermighty wrote: »
    I played lord of the rings online, rift and swtor when they were not F2P and I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. I think its a bad thing that new MMO's are weighted against other games which are F2P because a lot of the reason they are F2P is because they are not big successful games. Rift is not a good game.

I thought swtor was initially great but died a death for me. Even if Elder Scrolls was bad I would never return to the other games anyway. The payment model is only relevant if you would choose one of the two games, i.e. A p2p or a F2P game whereas I would gladly pick neither.

Because I've stopped playing any mmo, because I got sick of the games, it doesn't matter whether they are f2p or not. In general f2p mmo games are not good, either graphically or otherwise. Unfortunately world of warcraft is still the most well rounded mmo I've played.

Does that make sense?

I know exactly where your coming from as I feel the same way about P2P and F2P games. If a game is not for me the cost doesn't matter in the long run. The good thing about the current MMO scene is that players can jump from one game to another each time new content gets added.

Saying that, most new MMO's suffer from lack of initial content so players hit the endgame quick and then have nothing to do, unlike WoW which had a huge amount at launch so even running alt characters had new content to play through depending on race and which zones you choose to level up in.

Sadly most post WoW MMO's still fail to add new content quickly with Rift being the exception in that the content added is not just to get players to spend money in a cash shop. Consumers are just not going to put up with crap like that if a subscription is used by the developer and you only have to look at SWTOR and TSW to see that. For me, if a game uses a subscription model then everything in the cash shop needs to being able to be gotten ingame.

Advertisement