Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Crue

• 04-01-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

Figured i'd make a shiny new Motley Crue thread for the 2 era's of the band with Vince Neil from 1981 until 1992, and the John Corabi years 1994 until 2003.

(Seeing as the original thread is 8 years old & there's no point in reviving it)

Motley_crue_logo_3.jpg

Anybody else here a fan of Motley Crue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Had Shout at the Devil, Theatre of Pain & Girls, Girls, Girls when they came out ...I would have been in my early teens.

Never really bothered with them after that - tastes changed.

Downloaded "Theatre ..." a while back for nostalgic reasons ... tried to give a listen - did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Motley have said there going away after a new album & a tour, somehow i think they'll stick around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Same as RayCon, I had Shout at the Devil, Theatre of Pain and Girls, Girls, Girls. Love these but don't think I even listened to anything after GGG by them. Still go back to a few of the tunes though, can't beat cranking the WildSide riff at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Are any of you old enough to remember the Nikki Sixx imposter/replacement conspiracy?
    There was a conspiracy about a replacement but there was doubts concerning an inny or an outy belly button!!!!!

Saw them on the Theatre of Pain tour and they were excellent. The reason I saw them is that I had originally spent my money on a Venom ticket but they had to cancel the gig as they 'couldn't fit all their pyrotechnics in the arena', so fcuk all to do with bad ticket sales then?

This was when Tommy had the tilted drum riser although I think someone super glued Mick Mars to the spot.

I had a huge tour poster on my wall with them in full pout mode and I couple of my mates drooled over Vince Neil until I told them that he had a willy. I think hormones had something to fo with that though, although I had to really check Poison were fellas after their debut album photographs.

Ahh the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will they ever play a gig in Dublin. Whats there problem with us ?

A gig here would sell well i think

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    will they ever play a gig in Dublin. Whats there problem with us ?

A gig here would sell well i think

We can hope, but I doubt they'll ever play Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 71,260 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The 1994 album with John Corabi is undoubtedly one of the most under-rated rock albums of all time. Went almost completely unnoticed once grunge hit, yet has some of their best songs.

Sixx has admitted since that he regretted letting Corabi go, and wanted to record more material - however, they caved in to the $$$$ and brought Vince back.

Saw the Crue a few years ago with Manchester, with Killing Joke supporting!!!! Tommy used the 'titty-cam', but nobody wanted to participate...boo-urns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mötley Crüe were one of the first metal bands I ever got into, if not THE first. First album I got of theirs was Girls, Girls, Girls. For a 14 year old kid who was looking to find a music that suited his tastes and who had hormones ricocheting around his body, it most certainly fit the bill. I was hooked. Add in that I heard them in my all time favourite video game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, this only made me think they were even more brilliant!!!

I tracked down their albums from music shops and online. Next up for me were Shout At The Devil and Dr. Feelgood. Yowza. I fell in love with both. "Too Young To Fall In Love" is still one of my all time favourite songs to this very day and nothing can beat a bit of "Kickstart My Heart" when you're pelting down the motorway.

I then uncovered the rest of their albums in due time; Too Fast For Love was very punk and is a very strong début album. Theatre Of Pain was recorded at the near height of their excess and it shows, but it still has some cracking moments.

Mötley Crüe is, as someone said, one of the most under-rated albums ever. It is actually so class and it is a proper rocking album. But musical tastes had shifted an awful lot in the 5 years since Feelgood, and while she entered the charts at #7, she rapidly slid down and was #28 within a week, before vanishing totally. Almost like the band did.

Generation Swine, New Tattoo and Saints Of Los Angeles are ok albums, as things go. But they never scaled the heights reached by previous efforts. The same can be said for other Greatest Hits and Live albums. All ok and good fun, but pretty forgettable at times.

As a band, they were an undeniably huge force behind the whole Glam Metal scene of the 1980's. They were one of the first L.A. Glam bands to break big and behind them came the rest of the chasing pack, so eager to get on the newest and latest bandwagon of musical success. They epitomised 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'. Their influence on music cannot be denied and both the band as a unit and the individual players will all be engrained on the musical psyche for some time to come.

Their autobiography, "The Dirt", is incredible. It pulls no punches, tells it as it is and leaves little to the imagination. "The Heroin Diaries" is similar and chronicles a year in Nikki Sixx's life from 1986/87; it's frightening at times, hysterical at others, but it is compulsive reading. "Tommyland" is also good, but when you start reading it in Tommy's voice, you have to put it down sometimes and listen to some classical music... :o

I love Mötley Crüe, I really do. They were groundbreaking in their day; nobody had ever seen anything quite like it since KISS. And unlike KISS, they were grimy, dirty, dangerous, punky... and cool. They were in the right place, at the right time and had the right people around them to make it huge. It wasn't their fault that their look, style and image would become a template that would lead to the over-saturation of the metal genre with hundreds of Crüe-lite imitators, desperate to get on the Glam Metal bandwagon.

Hell, even Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne flirted with glam metal in the mid-1980's to try and tap into some of that golden Glam Metal money.

Following behind the Crüe came a slew of other Glam Metal bands, some absolutely brilliant, others less so. The likes of Ratt, Dokken, White Lion, W.A.S.P., Cinderella, Kix and others were all brilliant bands that were, if nothing else, great fun to listen to and was party time music.

But the party soon gave way to the hangover of the 1990's. The glam metal bands had only themselves to blame, really. Too much of a good thing and all that. They never adapted, evolved or looked like changing their spots. They were sticking to a tried and tested and trusted formula by 1989, and never wanted to change. But by 1991, the game was changed forever. Glam metal (and a lot of other "traditional" heavy metal bands) were wounded grievously, in some cases fatally wounded. Some would come back, but it would never be the same.

Mötley Crüe defined a generation as surely as other bands with more "respectable" credentials did. They mightn't have been the best musicians or even the best band to emerge from L.A. in that era, but their impact and their influence is huge and cannot be underestimated.

To this day, they are held up as the prototypical Glam Metal band and a very common 1980's metal band. They add colour and flavour to the musical landscape and the stories of their excess are just brilliant, yet cautionary, tales.

Mötley Crüe, The Crown Princes Of Sodom And Gomorrah...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love to see them live,great band,what are they like live?

That's the beauty of Youtube, though i've heard that Vince Neil kinda mails in his vocals live

• Advertisement

Motley-Crue-All-Bad-Things-Must-Come-to-an-End-620x465.jpg

Me thinks Motley Crue are going to announce their their farewell tour, and next Friday Motley will celebrate 33 years as a band

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I've gotten to see them a couple of times. Vince's vocals don't cut it live, dunno if they ever did. I seen them one time with Papa Roach and Buckcherry. Musically speaking, in terms of sound balance/levels and playing ability both of those bands blew them out of it. But for sheer entertainment value and spectacle no one could touch them.
    I say that as a huge Motley fan. One of the first bands I ever truly immersed myself in. I reckon Mick Mars is one of the most under-rated guitarists of the rock n metal genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think you'll find I'm certainly a fan :pac:

I think you'll find I'm certainly a fan :pac:

I wonder what gave it away that you're a fan of Motley Crue :P

There are strong rumours they will be calling it a day next year in terms of touring, after one final world trek.

Don't say I blame them, given Mick's health. I tip my hat to him for soldiering on, but it can't be easy on the poor guy.

There are strong rumours they will be calling it a day next year in terms of touring, after one final world trek.

Don't say I blame them, given Mick's health. I tip my hat to him for soldiering on, but it can't be easy on the poor guy.

Why is everybody thinking Motley Crue are packing it in because of Mick's health?, Mick himself has said that Motley's last HURRAH has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with his health

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Why is everybody thinking Motley Crue are packing it in because of Mick's health?, Mick himself has said that Motley's last HURRAH has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with his health

Yet the rest of the band have.

Yet the rest of the band have.

Well, Nikki, Tommy & Vince are talking pure sh1t, Mick tweeted this last August
    Any rumors regarding a farewell tour due to 'my poor health' are BS," he said. "I am doing fine, my AS has never kept me from touring and never will."

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Introbaby

Would love to see motley Crue live, they were certainly one of the highlights of my teenage years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Introbaby wrote: »
    Would love to see motley Crue live, they were certainly one of the highlights of my teenage years.

Get your skates on: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/crue-to-be-sued-if-they-ever-tour-again/

• Advertisement

Well Motley Crue have confirmed what we knew all along, they are hanging it up for good, they've also signed a cessation of touring agreement - meaning if they tour after 2015 they'll be sued

Some excerpts from today's conference
    After more than three decades together, iconic rock ‘n roll band MÖTLEY CRÜE announced today their Final Tour and the band’s ultimate retirement. The announcement was solidified when the band signed a formal Cessation Of Touring Agreement, effective at the end of 2015, in front of global media in Los Angeles today. Celebrating the announcement of this Final Tour, the band will perform on ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live TONIGHT and will appear on CBS This Morning TOMORROW MORNING.

With over 80 million albums sold, MÖTLEY CRÜE has sold out countless tours across the globe and spawned more than 2,500 MÖTLEY CRÜE branded items sold in over 30 countries. MÖTLEY CRÜE has proven they know how to make a lasting impression and this tour will be no different; Fans can expect to hear the catalogue of their chart- topping hits and look forward to mind-blowing, unparalleled live production. “When it comes to putting together a new show we always push the envelope and that’s part of Motley Crue’s legacy,” explains Nikki Sixx (bass). “As far as letting on to what we’re doing, that would be like finding out what you’re getting for Christmas before you open the presents. We think in an age of too much information, we’d like to keep some surprises close to our chest until we launch the Final Tour.
    As documented in the Cessation Of Touring Agreement the band signed at the press conference today, the band will not tour after this Final Tour. Band Attorney, Doug Mark of Mark Music & Media Law, explains “Other bands have split up over rancor or the inability of people to get along, but this is a mutual among all four original members and peaceful decision to move on to other endeavors and to confirm it with a binding agreement.” Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, and Mick Mars will go their separate ways after the lengthy 2-year touring cycle. Tommy Lee (drums) explains “Everything must come to an end!! We always had a vision of going out with a big ****ing bang and not playing county fairs and clubs with 1 or 2 original band members! Our job here is done!!!” Of the band’s tumultuous history, Mick Mars (guitar) adds “(It has been) more drama than ‘General Hospital’ it keeps ‘em watchin’ and they keep comin’ back.” Vocalist, Vince Neil says of the Finality of the tour – “I’ll miss playing with the guys but I won’t quit playing rock and roll!! I feel there are a lot of great opportunities and exciting projects after Motley.”

The Final Tour will coincide with the film made from MÖTLEY CRÜE’s NY Times Best-Selling book The Dirt. Jeff Tremaine (Bad Grandpa) has signed on to direct the opus that is set to debut in theaters globally in 2015, coinciding with The Final Tour.

Alice Cooper has been confirmed as the opening act

Motley Crue & Alice Cooper Tour dates

7/2/2014 — Grand Rapids, MI — Van Andel Arena
    7/4/2014 — Milwaukee, WI — Summerfest
    7/5/2014 — Noblesville, IN — Klipsch Music Center
    7/6/2014 — Cincinnati, OH — Riverbend Music Center
    7/8/2014 — Columbus, OH — Schottenstein Center
    7/9/2014 — Maryland Heights, MO — Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    7/11/2014 — Des Moines, IA — Wells Fargo Arena
    7/12/2014 — Wichita, KS — INTRUST Bank Arena
    7/13/2014 — Tulsa, OK — BOK Center
    7/15/2014 — Cedar Park, TX — Cedar Park Center
    7/16/2014 — Dallas, TX — Gexa Energy Pavilion
    7/18/2014 — Albuquerque, NM — Isleta Amphitheater
    7/19/2014 — Phoenix, AZ — Ak-Chin Pavilion
    7/21/2014 — Los Angeles, CA — Hollywood Bowl
    7/22/2014 — Irvine, CA — Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    7/23/2014 — Mountain View, CA — Shoreline Amphitheatre
    7/25/2014 — Reno, NV — Reno Events Center
    7/26/2014 — Ridgefield, WA — Sleep County Amphitheatre
    7/27/2014 — Auburn, WA — White River Amphitheatre
    7/29/2014 — Wheatland, CA — Sleep Train Amphitheatre
    7/30/2014 — Chula Vista, CA — Sleep Train Amphitheatre
    8/1/2014 — Salt Lake City, UT — USANA Amphitheatre
    8/2/2014 — Denver, CO — Pepsi Center
    8/3/2014 — Kansas City, MO — Sprint Center
    8/5/2014 — Sturgis, SD — Sturgis Buffalo Chip
    8/6/2014 — Sioux City, IA — Tyson Events Center
    8/8/2014 — Tinley Park, IL — First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
    8/9/2014 — Clarkston, MI — DTE Energy Music Theatre
    8/10/2014 — Toronto, ON — Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
    8/12/2014 — Cuyahoga Falls, OH — Blossom Music Center
    8/13/2014 — Burgettstown, PA — First Niagara Pavilion
    8/15/2014 — Pelham, AL — Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
    8/16/2014 — Alpharetta, GA — Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park
    8/17/2014 — Tampa, FL — MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre
    8/19/2014 — Charlotte, NC — PNC Music Pavilion
    8/20/2014 — Virginia Beach, VA — Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
    8/22/2014 — Bristow, VA — Jiffy Lube Live
    8/23/2014 — Camden, NJ — Susquehanna Bank Center
    8/24/2014 — Mansfield, MA — Xfinity Center
    8/26/2014 — Saratoga Springs, NY — Saratoga Perf. Arts Center
    8/27/2014 — Allentown, PA — Great Allentown Fair
    8/29/2014 — Wantagh, NY — Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
    8/30/2014 — Holmdel, NJ — PNC Bank Arts Center
    8/31/2014 — Darien Center, NY — Darien Lake Perf. Arts Center
    10/10/2014 – Oklahoma City, OK — Chesapeake Arena
    10/11/2014 — The Woodlands, TX — Cynthia W. Mitchell Pavilion
    10/12/2014 — Bossier City, LA — CenturyLink Center
    10/14/2014 — Louisville, KY — KFC Yum! Center
    10/15/2014 — Nashville, TN — Bridgestone Arena
    10/17/2014 — Hollywood, FL — Seminole Hard Rock Live
    10/19/2014 — Jacksonville, FL — Veterans Memorial Arena
    10/21/2014 — Greenville, SC — Bon Secours Wellness Arena
    10/22/2014 — Greensboro, NC — Greensboro Coliseum
    10/25/2014 — Atlantic City, NJ — Borgata Event Center
    10/26/2014 — Montville, CT — Mohegan Sun Arena
    10/29/2014 — Syracuse, NY — The OnCenter Complex
    11/5/2014 — Biloxi, MS — Mississippi Coast Coliseum
    11/6/2014 — Southaven, MS — Landers Center
    11/9/2014 — Moline, IL — iWireless Center
    11/11/2014 — Green Bay, WI — Resch Center
    11/12/2014 — Madison, WI — Alliant Energy Center
    11/13/2014 — Omaha, NE — CenturyLink Center
    11/15/2014 — St. Paul, MN — Xcel Energy Center
    11/16/2014 — Fargo, ND — FargoDome
    11/18/2014 — Edmonton, AB — Rexall Place
    11/19/2014 — Calgary, AB — Scotiabank Saddledome
    11/21/2014 — Vancouver, BC — Rogers Arena

I'm kinda giddy as what the tour production will be like, Motley will also play Europe in 2015

Until the reunion tour.

I remember Status Quo having a farewell tour with a tin case box set to commemorate twenty years as a group. Their last ever tour in........1982.

You need a silver bullet to put them down.

I will guarantee that the Crue will play again just like the Pistols, Eagles etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

They're one of the bands I still have to see live, wondering if I should go to the States or wait until next year for the Euro dates and see how close they're gonna come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

just heard this on the radio! Apparently they have a watertight contract drawn up that if any members attempt a tour under the name "motley crue" after this tour the general public can sue them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If Motley even attempt touring after 2015, according to the cessation of touring contract, they can be sued

just heard this on the radio! Apparently they have a watertight contract drawn up that if any members attempt a tour under the name "motley crue" after this tour the general public can sue them!!

Motley Crew. Sorted. $$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

You need a silver bullet to put them down.

I remember seeing a documentary on that, about the Quo, they said they were as genuinely surprised to be back together as anyone else...and that Bob Geldof and Queen (due to Live Aid) were pretty much the reason they did it

That's probably why they're going to tour under the name "Motley Crew" ;)

But then, in all seriousness, Vince has been past it for about 10 years now and Nikki has a lot of solo stuff to concentrate on. Plus Mick has earned his retirement.

I reckon I'll see them at least once more in Europe in 2015 but beyond that I'll be satisfied. They will play at least one date in the UK - possibly an Irish date if someone points out both the market and the fact they've never played in the Republic...even Brides of Destruction cancelled in Whelans and Tommy Lee cancelled his DJ set here...maybe there's something legal preventing them for playing here lol

To be fair when I did see them live I enjoyed the whole experience. They played for an hour and the "newest" song was from 1989 - this was in 2010 - so I was sorted. I couldn't have asked for a better set and it was just a great atmosphere.

Motley Crue may have signed just signed a legal document that states that they no longer will be able to tour after they complete a worldwide run of shows through 2015. However, the ‘Final Tour’ may not be end of the band as a whole. Speaking to ‘Shmonty and Conklin in the Morning’ radio show on KDKB in Phoenix, singer Vince Neil stated that there’s been a lot of speculation about what it would take for them to reunite and he also discussed their future beyond the tour.

Neil explains
    “Here’s the thing. Motley Crue’s not breaking up. We’re still gonna be making music. We’re still [gonna be selling] merchandise and stuff like Motley Crue things.” He added that doing a full album may not be likely, but it’s not out of the question that the band might release the occasional song. He explains, “We’ll probably just make music — do songs for certain things. Motley Crue will still be around, we’re just not gonna tour anymore. That’s really kind of it.”

http://loudwire.com/vince-neil-motley-crue-not-breaking-up/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Seen them at Donington in 1991.

They were impressive and it was a great feeling knowing 90 mins of Metallica and 2hrs of AC/DC was to follow.

Advertisement