Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for info on Denis Crowe and Coley Walsh

• 02-07-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello all,

Anyone know if these two Shotokan Sensei's are still teaching/training and if so where?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NGalv

Hey,

A bit random replying to this a year and a bit later, but did you ever find out if Coley Walsh is still training?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thedooner

Hello, that's the great thing about boards,someone can answer years after the initial post :-)

No, not heard anything on Coley since but I went to a 5th Dan grading in Castlebar recently and had the pleasure of meeting Denis Crowe at it.

A gentleman if their ever was one and would talk about karate in Ireland back in the 50's and 60's when he started training.

He would get the boat to England to grade! now if we have to go more then 30 miles to grade we moan about it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AFAIK Coley hasn't trained for at least 2 years maybe even 4. I believe the last place he trained was Newtownsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Published on 10 May 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thedooner

R.I.P Sensei Coley Walsh :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dannycillumini

Hi there. For anybody who knew Coley Walsh. I would just like to say that I used to train with Coley years ago and did so for some time back in the day. I and lots of others I knew in Galway were also his students. It wasn't until recently that I found out about his passing and would therefore like to offer my respects because I was wondering where he was. I had been out of the scene but then came back looking for him and at least now I know. Rest in peace to him. He was a great teacher.

Castlebar Shotokan Karate Club (3/3/15) : 'Coley was my first instructor in Galway. A naturally gifted karateka and a tough instructor. Many a hard session with him in the Galway club and he was the first instructor to the newly formed university club back in 1984. RIP. - from John Sheehy, Japan.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4 delbhouy

Coley was indeed a great teacher and friend.I trained with Coley for many years in Newtownsmith. He taught in some of the local primary schools also and had affiliated clubs all over Galway from Headford to Inis Mór.

A real Galway man and one of the pioneers of Martial Arts in Galway.

Advertisement