Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Agatha Christie fans!

• 20-12-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Probably a stupid question but are Agatha Christie novels available in Easons?

Also which is your favourite book by Ms Christie? My sister loves these old murder mystery novels and tv shows so I wanted to get her something to do with Poirot or Miss Marple. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

'Endless night' is a favourite of mine. It's not a standard Agatha Christie novel, she tried a different approach and in my opinion it worked. 'And then there were none' is also brilliant and the final Poirot book. Happy reading :) For your sister I would go for 'And then there were none' just to be on the safe side... unless she's read it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Porrohman

I only started reading Agatha Christie recently. It’s something I should have done years ago but better late than never I suppose. Anyway I have read two Poirot books “The ABC Murders” and “Murder on the Orient Express” and enjoyed them both. I like her style of writing and they were easy reads. I don’t know if they’re in Easons or not but I’ll definitely be getting more of her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rpe

All her books are great. I would recommend Crooked House and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

I absolutley adore Agatha Christie books, nothing comes close!

If you were thinking of getting any of her books, I would go with either Then There Were None (my favourite) or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. They are murder mysteries but not the usual predictable plot lines. Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

you can't beat poirot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a recommended order for reading her books? I started 'The Big Four' recently, enjoying it so far, a big improvement on James Patterson, which is like drinking a glass of milk that's been left out of the fridge for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I've read all 66 Agatha Christie crime novels over the years. I'm sure Easons have them but I would imagine Hodges Figgis stock the best selection (if you're in Dublin). Their crime section is amazing.

"And Then There Were None" is the biggest selling crime fiction novel ever and one of the biggest selling books of any type ever - over 100 million copies sold. It's not a Poirot novel however, I think hatful may be confusing it with "Curtain" which was Poirot's last case.

Black Oil - I'm glad you're enjoying "The Big Four" but I have to tell you I would rate it as one of the weakest books she wrote. You'll probably agree if you read many more. I've included a link to all her books below where you can see the year they were written. It's not essential at all to read them in this order but it is a good guide.

Some of her later books are not the best although "Endless Night" is certainly an exception. "Styles" and "Roger Ackroyd" are the best from the 1920's. I would recommend everything she wrote from 1930 to 1950 inclusive. This was the prime of her career and the consistent brilliance is amazing. From 1950 onwards, it's a bit more hit and miss.

Apart from those already mentioned, I would particularly recommend "Murder is Easy", "Towards Zero" and "Five Little Pigs" which is one of the very best Poirot's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie_bibliography

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Hi Martin567,

Thanks for all this useful info on Christies books. I haven't read any of her books since I was a teenager but I might give it another go soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Martin, thanks for that. I'm about 2/3 of the way into 'The Big Four' now and can see what you, though I'm still enjoying as a first read and the Hastings/Poirot banter is good fun. Are a good few of the books narrated by Hastings, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Black Oil wrote: »
    Martin, thanks for that. I'm about 2/3 of the way into 'The Big Four' now and can see what you, though I'm still enjoying as a first read and the Hastings/Poirot banter is good fun. Are a good few of the books narrated by Hastings, then?

There were about 8 or 10 Poirot novels narrated by Hastings. Most of these were the earlier ones but he was brought back again for 'Curtain', the final Poirot book.

From one of her biographies, I think her first book deal was for about 6 novels. Apparently, she was a bit naive and committed herself to a poor deal from her own point of view. The last two novels covering this deal were written purely for contractual reasons as she just wanted to move on. These books were 'The Mystery of the Blue Train' and 'The Big Four'. If you read many of her other novels from that time, you'll see that these two are by far the weakest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Greysonphil

adore her works. really great to read and think over

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

These were reprinted so often that your local charity shop undoubtedly has a few.

Well, I finished The Big Four. Decent, but I think the second half of it sort of descended into Hollywood mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Martin567 wrote: »
    I've read all 66 Agatha Christie crime novels over the years. I'm sure Easons have them but I would imagine Hodges Figgis stock the best selection (if you're in Dublin). Their crime section is amazing.

"And Then There Were None" is the biggest selling crime fiction novel ever and one of the biggest selling books of any type ever - over 100 million copies sold. It's not a Poirot novel however, I think hatful may be confusing it with "Curtain" which was Poirot's last case.

Black Oil - I'm glad you're enjoying "The Big Four" but I have to tell you I would rate it as one of the weakest books she wrote. You'll probably agree if you read many more. I've included a link to all her books below where you can see the year they were written. It's not essential at all to read them in this order but it is a good guide.

Some of her later books are not the best although "Endless Night" is certainly an exception. "Styles" and "Roger Ackroyd" are the best from the 1920's. I would recommend everything she wrote from 1930 to 1950 inclusive. This was the prime of her career and the consistent brilliance is amazing. From 1950 onwards, it's a bit more hit and miss.

Apart from those already mentioned, I would particularly recommend "Murder is Easy", "Towards Zero" and "Five Little Pigs" which is one of the very best Poirot's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie_bibliography
    Oops sorry poor grammar on my part what I meant was my favourites were 'And then there were none' and also the final Poirot book in the series (I couldn't remember the name). I will check out your recommendations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I have been collecting Agatha Christie books for the past 24 years. I set myself the task of building her entire collection, buying only second hand books and not paying more than £2(Irish pounds) or €3 Euro for them. They were to be collected on an random basis, ie no planned shopping trips for them. It meant that every time I came across a second hand book stall/shop/sale my heart would take a little leap and I would rummage quite happily for books 'missing' from my collection. I have at various times owned the entire collection, but through lending or loosing volumes, have had the pleasure of rummaging again. Of course such a slap dash approach to collecting has also meant repeated copies of the same book being purchased, however I always use these to tempt others into reading Ms Christie. I also have collected some quite old versions, and while they are far from pristine, they are often my favourite. I have collected her books in different countries around the world, delighted to add a foreign cover to my Agatha collection. I love both Poirot and Marple equally and Tommy and Tuppence less so.

At the moment I am missing one book to re-complete the collection... and for the life of me cannot remember which one it is.... guess i will just have to rummage around to see what turns up...
    Thank you Agatha... :)

Have made a start on Taken at the Flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

Her books are available right now as part of a twice monthly partwork.

All hardbacks, all replicas of the first editions.

I`ve got the first four, Murder of Roger Ackyroyd, Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express, Murder at the Vicarage.

Next one up is the ABC murders.

http://www.hachettepartworks.com/our-titles/agatha-christie-book-collection

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Film company

Hi Guys.
    I want to bring my wife to the play in the Gaiety and it is quite dear, as is my wife. Is I was thin king of getting a group booking so looking for 8 people to join us. The group deal is 10 people with a discount of 5 quid each for a Saturday night show and then drinks after to hang out and talk. Would anyone be interested? It is in March.

Advertisement