Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

That was some acheivment you have boosted my confidence in champix no end, I chose it because I did'nt think I'd do it with patches or gum, I tried patches before & one morning getting ready for work there lay the fresh patch on my dresser alongside my purse. I looked at both & rapidly made the decision to go to the shop & buy a pack of cigarettes. It was too easy for me to give up using the patches.
    Well done you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

It's great getting new input! It really helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I cough less, breath better, have more energy, and haven't gotten sick once. So yeah, I guess you can say I feel great.

How are you today? Yes it's great getting other peoples views it's so encouraging especially seeing as us Europeans dont get to join the Chantix website that comes as part of the prescription in the US. It must be really good.
    By the way, Anyone who want to see videos of people who have quit using champix are on the site below:
    here's the address:

www.chantix.com

Here I am in day 6 and still no overwhelming urges to smoke. Last night I had two separate dreams again that I was smoking. In one of the dreams I was inhaling like I was trying to make up for lost time. This woke me up with a "start"! I was so relieved when I realized it was just a dream. I'll be thinking about you on Monday. But from your posts I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. I think you're more adament about quicking that I was. Good Luck!

• Advertisement

The dreams sound intense, I suppose it's due to letting go the habit of a lifetime. I'm getting nervous about Monday now, it's easy at the mo while still allowed to smoke. I noticed tonight after dinner in a restaurant I COULD have not smoked.......but I did......purely because I still can :rolleyes:
    Almost forgot to take my 2nd tab will go get it now.
    You are almost 7 days smoke free can you believe it!!!

I did the same thing the last few days I was smoking. I smoked every chance I'd get. Yes tomorrow is day 7. :P And the funny thing is I have'nt had any over whelming desire to light up! The only draw back is I'm constantly "nibbling" but they covered that on the support sight today.

Don't get never nervous. Just go with the flow..;)

Hi there are you having a nice weekend? Yes, I'm nervous but also excited Waiting for Monday is like waiting for Christmas!
    I just read over the entire thread & I cant believe all the positive posts I'm so happy I started this I never thought it would be as useful as it has been. I'm burning the midnight oil here, I was out all day with college this morning & dinner out all evening. So this is the only chance I've had to chill with the net. It's lie in day tomorrow Yay! How is the bronchitis?

Hi! The Bronchitis is totally history. Still have a little cough but I think it's left over nicotine! :pac:

As I said earlier, you'll do fine! You want to get out from under that nicotine habit probably more that I did! Just be positive..

Ok this is it the last day I can smoke, I definitely smoked less today & when I did I found myself stubbing them out half way through. Still no extreme symptoms - no nausea - no vivid dreams, no balance difficulties. I have 10 cigarettes left in my pack there is no way I'm gonna smoke even half of those by midnight so I'm going to chop them up right before I go to bed, collect all my lighters & ashtrays & put them in a box (I'm Moving house soon) & hopefully wake knowing I am NOT going to smoke in the morning or ever again! Fingers crossed! :P

• Advertisement

The day before my quit date I smoked up storm whether I need a smoke or not! (stupid I know) Before I went to bed I took all my ashtrays and stored them in a cupboard in the garage and packaged up all the smokes 81/2 (packs) and put them in the back of the freezer. When I'm sure that I'm out of the woods I'll dispose of them. So far, on the most part I forget they're there. As I said before I still haven't had any STRONG desire to smoke.
    I'm rooting for you! I know you can do it!:D

Well, if I'm not mistaken you're about to start your first smoke free day! CONGRATULATIONS and my thoughts will be with you as I start my SECOND smoke free week. I know you can do it!! GOOD LUCK!

Last night I chopped up the last 12 or so cigarettes in my posession. I broke them at the middle & at the butt so that I could'nt wake this morning & have one! I did'nt sleep well, I could'nt manage to drop off & every tinme I did I woke with a start. I reckon it was anticipation of Quit Day looming. Well it's 7pm here & I have not touched a cigarette all day nor do I have any desire for one! Tummy is a little upset the past 3 days but nothing awful.
    I did have 3 very strong feelings at different parts of the day when I felt I "should" be smoking, the first when I was in my office this morning, it went away fairly fast. The second when I finished lunch - again - it passed very quickly, the third, when I finished the day & was driving home but again I was'nt tempted to go the the shop & buy a pack I'm so happy with this, roll on tomorrow!
    Good luck for your second week DonnieL & anyone else on the Champix programme.

Good for you! Keep it up.;) I just returned from my Doctor and had a physical. He was quite impressed when I told him how the Chantix was working.
    Yes, I have a cousin who got her prescription but due to a lot of stress and long hours on the job she's not quite ready to start the program yet.
    I got my prescription around mid-November. With Thanksgiving and Christmas rapidly approaching I decided to hold off and make it my New Years Resolution.. Keep up the good work!
    I have emails every morning from Chantix with daily pointers and a phone call every evening to check to see if I've smoked. Pretty cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

julep wrote: »
    Just popping in to say fair play to both of you.

+1

I hope it works out well for you both. I may have to give this ago myself. My OH's sister did this last year and she has been off the smokes ever since and I hope for ever more.

Best of luck.

Hi Terry,

Again, thanks for the support. You should give a go, but, only when you're ready. Take care and thanks again..:)

Well it's 10:00PM here. Sooo, I think I'll go out for a smoke before bed!
    Oohh! Wait!! That's right I QUIT!! (just kidding)
    Well day 8 and still clean with no desire to light up.. It has to be the Chantix. Never had this feeling before.
    Went to a Movie today and and saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Great Movie!! The went out to dinner, came home watched T.V., had a couple of Cocktails and just thought I'd check in before bed.
    Hope you're doing well also!!!

Day 2 is all but over & I did'nt smoke Yahoo! I too am so pleased I chose to do it with Champix cos I would not have been able with anything else!
    I got the usual cravings at the same 3 times as yesterday but I just went & got a drink of water instead. I cannot believe I am typing this & still have no desire to smoke. Yes there are moments I feel I should be picking one up out of the ashtray but the feeling passes in seconds.
    I have done a complete spring clean at work - 2 hours yesterday & all day today. I was like a woman possessed! I cant stop moving & doing things & while I'm doing one thing I'm planning what I'll do next :pac::pac::pac:
    My colleague asked me how I was coping without the smokes & was it having an effect on me, I told her ......"well yes Have you noticed how much nervous energy I have". I will either collapse or get mega fit if this keeps up LOL
    So you have survived a full week Donnie that is fantastic & long may it continue. Have you experienced anymore symptoms?
    I had an upset stomach yesterday & today & still getting niggly headaches on & off throughout the day. Probably the extra dosage but not enough to put me off yet. I'll stick with it as long as possible. I'm visiting my doctor in the morning so I'll know more after seeing him.
    On the up, I'm feeling great, roll on day 3 when I will be nicotene free.:D

No, I still haven't had any side effects other than the dreaming. I have been getting up two or three times a night but I think that's because of the water consumption. I have another medication that I'm on besides Chantix that requires a lot of water intake.
    CONGRATULATIONS Ms. Poutbutton your doing fabulously! Keep up the good work!!

No, I still haven't had any side effects other than the dreaming. I have been getting up two or three times a night but I think that's because of the water consumption. I have another medication that I'm on besides Chantix that requires a lot of water intake.
    CONGRATULATIONS Ms. Poutbutton your doing fabulously!:D;) Keep up the good work!!

• Advertisement

Just a quick note. This a link of time zones I downloaded so I can tell what time zone it is where people I'm chatting with are living in. I see it's in the neighborhood of 5:30Pm in Dublin! =^) http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html
    Hope you're still doing well! I'm in my 10th day with no slip ups or desire for one.

LOL Well it's the 3rd day & I did'nt give in, I had my "moments" again but they passed. Last night I had a real strong craving for about......45 seconds ha ha I stood up and walked to the counter & kind of looked around the room as if to say "What are you going to do? You dont smoke now!" I actually laughed at myself & then it went away. I saw my doctor this morning & the headaches appear to be caffeine withdrawls :eek: I realised I had not only stopped smoking but had also stopped drinking my usual (not any more) well known brand of sugar free cola! I barely even want my coffee as much as I used to but I used only drink 1 or 2 cups a day max, it was the cola that I was addicted to & I mostly drank it when I was smoking. I know I'm shocked too, could Champix be killing ALL my addictions? Great if it is, I'm reaching for water now which is brilliant.
    So, 10 days Donnie, pat on the back, that is so good. i'm proud as punch & it's only day 3! I found this guy on Youtube, he has uploaded a video diary of his Champix use http://ie.youtube.com/user/damrak1969

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! Today I'm off to a luncheon with some of my fellow retirees. We meet once a month at different Restaurants.
    Last night I had another dream. I dreamed I was sitting at my patio table smoking away and suddenly realizing I blew it, I ruined everthing! Then I thought, no one will ever know! Then I woke up!! whew! And it's always a relief to realize it was dream and that your still clean! Part of the "divine plan" ?? Who knows! L.O.L. Keep up the good work!!
    Thanks for the link! I'm going to bookmark it!

Good Morning, I going to try something by trying to pass on some of the pointers from GetQuit. This one I thought was a good one:
    "When people talk about why they smoke, they often say it relaxes them. But wait - is it only the smoking that's relaxing them? Think about what a smoker does when taking a cigarette break. They stop what they're doing. They sit. And they inhale deeply. But cigarettes are actually stimulants. So where does the relaxed feeling come from? Maybe it's because they were breathing deeply and allowing themselves time to relax.

The great news is, you can learn to relax without cigarettes. Anytime, anywhere. Even just sitting in a chair. Below, we'll show you a few simple breathing and stretching exercises that may help reduce your stress.

Consider this
    Many people use deep breathing as a way to help them relax. And when you smoked, you would breathe deeply, too. You'd also inhale all the carcinogens in cigarettes. But now, with your habit behind you, you can finally get all the stress-reducing benefits of breathing deeply."
    If you receive this OK, I could send you others if you like.
    Keep up the good work. I still haven't had any desire to "slip".

Hi Yes the tips would be great! Thank you. Day 4 & I'm also doing fine. No huge cravings today just little ones. I had to wear a 24 hour heart monitor yesterday which I got rid of this morning, it took my Bp every half hour during the day & it woke me every hour last night but I'm happy to say I got the all clear & can now get into a new addiction....fitness! I bet being off the smokes 3-4 days helped :)
    I must admit, I have'nt been "around" many smokers since Monday, the weekend may prove more of a challenge if someone is sitting beside me smoking...but I'm feeling confident that I too wont slip. I'm officially nicotene free now, hardly cough & my sense of smell is much stronger. How is your cousin doing? I forgot my tablet this morning as I was rushing to the clinic, I did'nt get to take it until nearly 5pm but it did'nt seem to affect me. So, Kudos to us Champix Champs :)

Tomorrow's topic is "The Weekend". I will forward the "pointers" to you.
    I got through last weedend with no problem even going out to dinner and a movie and seeing smokers standing outside indulging! :eek: L.O.L.
    I had yet another dream last night that I was in a situation where I was upset, having a drink, and smoking one after another. And then realized I failed and decided not to go on! THEN I WOKE UP!!
    And again, was sooo relieved that it was just a dream. It's bizzare that most of my dreams are about smoking..
    Take care and keed up the good work.;)

Wow I have'nt had one dream yet. Tomorrow is the weekend alright I have a 4 day weekend off to pack my house for the big move. Not sure exactly what date yet but I may as well get what I dont use packed up. No smoke breaks for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Went to the doc yesterday about a sinus infection that just wasnt going away, and we had a chat about smoking - he had been trying to get me to quit for a while now, and I told him the patches at best just made me a moody ****e, and I'd end up back on the smokes after a week. He recommended Champix, and I've started on them just a couple of hours ago.

Noticed I felt a little queasy after taking the first one, this went away after around 30mins. I've actually already noticed a "reduced" need to smoke, but I would say that's more than likely a placebo effect more than anything else.

The thing is, I do love my smokes - Its my asthma and pockets that hate them. Apparently Champix will make me hate them entirely after a week or so.. well, it's definitely worth a shot :)

Welcome to the club Tellox!! I think you'll be very happy with Chantix! I'm ending my 2nd week as a non-smoker.. I to ENJOYED smoking but was told by Doctors that I really need to quit. I'd been seeing 4 Doctors 2 of which were a cardio/vascular and the other a hematologist/oncologist. Both recommended Chantix.
    The only side effect that I've had personally is the vivid dreams, which aren't all that bad. Feel free to keep in touch. Oh, keep in mind that you need to take Chantix AFTER eating, not on an empty stomach. That may be what's causing the nausea.

• Advertisement

Good morning Ms. Poutbutton,
    I guess you're busy packing for the big move. Just thought I'd take a moment and forward the "Support Group's" Tip for the weekend. Also, in the first week one of the tips was "tell you friends that you're quitting" . They even had a Template that all you had to was address and send.. Most of my friends don't smoke anyway so they were stoked and even the ones that do smoke said they'd lend their support. Anyway, here's the tip for the weekend:

"Believe it or not, you may need to help people support you. Because it's very possible people will say things that upset you now that you're quit. And they probably won't mean to do it.

So it's good to prepare yourself. The goal: to feel comfortable talking to people about quitting, even if they don't know how to support you.

Here are some examples of non-supportive comments you might hear. As you go down the list, try reading the responses aloud to yourself. It may feel awkward at first, but give it some time. It will become more natural.

Feel free to use any or all of the responses below. Or come up with new ones that work for you.

Non-supportive comments Possible responses You must be dying for a cigarette. Sure it's hard sometimes, but I'm serious about quitting.
    A couple of puffs a day won't kill you. Actually, even one puff could start me smoking again. But I've come this far, and I'm determined to quit for good.
    Do you mind if I smoke? Thanks very much for asking. Actually, I just quit recently, so if you could hold off for now, I'd really appreciate it.
    Would you like a cigarette? No, thanks. I quit smoking.
    Aren't you worried about gaining weight? I figure I can deal with that later. Right now I'm focused on not smoking.
    You must be really cranky. Quitting is hard, but I should be back to my old self soon.
    Haven't you tried quitting before? Sure. But this time is different. I'm really going to do it, and I'm getting support this time.

As you can see, there's not a lot you need to say. But having some responses ready can give you one less thing to worry about. Responding like this can also let people know their comments aren't helpful."

I saw this morning that we have new company (Tellox) who's starting "Champix" today.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your "packing weekend". I hate moving! =^)

Advertisement